Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Yosemite Hanging and hiking

Been away from this forum for way too long! If anyone comes to hike and hang in Yosemite or area in general, let me know!
    Weekdays in Yosemite are great for back country. I tend to hide in the eastern Sierra (Bridgeport to Bishop) on weekends in summer.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    That's a long drive from Bama!

Yea. I just saw that and updated when I made the post! All better now!

Quote Originally Posted by La Picker View Post
    That's a long drive from Bama!
    Oddly, I left NOLA to move here! Yat? I was by City Park.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Oddly, I left NOLA to move here! Yat? I was by City Park.
    Kenner actually. I'd much rather be in the Sierra Foothills though.

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    Yosemite campgrounds are kind of dusty and booked up. To get in an official Yosemite NP camp, reservation 6 months in advance. When I go I've learned to disperse camp in nearby Stanislaus National Forest. It's about 10 miles out of the park, any fire road, anywhere. You might be able to squeeze into Camp 4 where the climbers are, but you'd have to get there early make friends and hang near someone's campsite.
    Back country hiking often needs reservations, so check. You might be able to stealth camp, but Yosemite is patrolled. Things that would slide anywhere else, don't go in Yosemite--because of the numbers anything they let one person do, 10,000 other people will do.
    Other than it's crowded Yosemite is great, Stanislaus last time I camped: no one for at least a quarter of a mile, plenty of trees. Terrific.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by WillUpnDown View Post
    Yosemite campgrounds are kind of dusty and booked up. To get in an official Yosemite NP camp, reservation 6 months in advance. When I go I've learned to disperse camp in nearby Stanislaus National Forest. It's about 10 miles out of the park, any fire road, anywhere. You might be able to squeeze into Camp 4 where the climbers are, but you'd have to get there early make friends and hang near someone's campsite.
    Back country hiking often needs reservations, so check. You might be able to stealth camp, but Yosemite is patrolled. Things that would slide anywhere else, don't go in Yosemite--because of the numbers anything they let one person do, 10,000 other people will do.
    Other than it's crowded Yosemite is great, Stanislaus last time I camped: no one for at least a quarter of a mile, plenty of trees. Terrific.
    One of the permit tricks, besides the 6 month reservation and/or lottery baloney is this... For spring, summer, or fall, I go the night the night before and make sure I arrive after midnight between 1 & 5 am. I'll set up a chair/lounge in the parking lot at the wilderness permit/ranger office where they post a sign "Line Begins Here" and sleep/read/chat with a buddy while I/we wait for the office to open. You're pretty much guaranteed a free "walk-up" permit for wherever you want to go, JMT, Toulumne Meadows area, Hetch Hetchy. You can either get a permit for cancelled reservations or "no-shows" or begin your hike the following day with your walk-up permit. "Apeman" on YouTube posts other ways as well to get permits

I'm going the last week of August this year. I'm in the lottery but been denied so far. 15 days left in rotation. I'm flying from Bama, my daughter is gonna meet me from L.A. We want to backpack 5 days from Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley area and leave through Happy Isles. Where would our best chance for a walk up party of two be? Thanks for any advice.
    Synch cord

• + New Posts