WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    As a "complicator" myself, I love this.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    As a fan of both GI poncho liners and surplus wool blankets, I have a woobie or a woolie stationed on the bed depending on temperature. My initial thought was a semi-permanent full-length GI poncho liner underquilt made with six shock cord tie outs, at the four corners and midway down the length for the hammock ridgeline. The reasoning was for it to keep me toasty to around 50 degrees before requiring the temporary lashing of a wool blanket as an inner insulation layer, but I'm loving the tarp clips idea! Adding some kind of quick release system made from carabiners and tarp clips would allow me to break down the woobie underquilt in seconds, and I won't have to deal with shock cord and hardware when it goes back on the bed. Thanks for the slick idea, Berk!
    When pixie dust fails, LowTekk will get you home.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Tie a tarp grabber to each end. In the middle of the shockcord, tie a loop just big enough to fit over the "knob" at each end of your gathered end hammock.
    Perhaps I'm not getting enough sleep at night, but I can't quite figure out how you're attaching this to the hammock. Are you threading the "knob" through the loop you make in the shock cord? Maybe using a small biner to connect the shockcord loop to the continuous loop at the gathered end? Perhaps you could post a picture of how it looks deployed. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Perhaps I'm not getting enough sleep at night, but I can't quite figure out how you're attaching this to the hammock. Are you threading the "knob" through the loop you make in the shock cord? Maybe using a small biner to connect the shockcord loop to the continuous loop at the gathered end? Perhaps you could post a picture of how it looks deployed. Thanks.
    Yup, just slip the loop over the knob on the gathered end hammock. No additional hardware needed.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12.5' with Ridgeline
    Tarp
    About to make one
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, unknown TQ
    Suspension
    1/8" DIY Whoopies
    I did something similar, with a $10 walmart 50 degree sleeping bag. I really like the tarp grabber idea but I didn't think of those soon enough so I sewed little pieces of 1" webbing on the ends in 2 spots, and connect those with a cheap rope to my ridgeline ends where my biners meet the whoopie slings. My cheap rope I got from Lowe's, and it's a weaved style rope that I removed the center core and made them into miniature whoopie slings so it's fully adjustable. Adding a little shock cord could help, especially if I'm camping when it's colder outside, but this worked perfect for mid 60's weather. I can remove the rope and it still works as a sleeping bag and the webbing isn't in the way.

Images
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by ironrule View Post
    I did something similar, with a $10 walmart 50 degree sleeping bag. I really like the tarp grabber idea but I didn't think of those soon enough so I sewed little pieces of 1" webbing on the ends in 2 spots, and connect those with a cheap rope to my ridgeline ends where my biners meet the whoopie slings. My cheap rope I got from Lowe's, and it's a weaved style rope that I removed the center core and made them into miniature whoopie slings so it's fully adjustable. Adding a little shock cord could help, especially if I'm camping when it's colder outside, but this worked perfect for mid 60's weather. I can remove the rope and it still works as a sleeping bag and the webbing isn't in the way.
    I did the same with an old winter sleeping bag I had. Sewed some elastic webbing loops on the corners and strung it up with some 1/4" (!!) shock cord I bought at the local Army Surplus store. Holy mackerel is it heavy! It's too warm for indoors, but great for the backyard, and I even used it on some motorcycle camping trips.

EDIT: Just realized I inadvertently resurrected this thread. My apologies if I broke protocol.

Hammock
    Mana Outdoors dbl. 10.8ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Outdoors
    Insulation
    UGQ(10* UQ,30* TQ)
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Dutch
    Thanks for the idea! My first UQ was a $40, 40 degree, sleeping bag from walmart that I had. It packs down super small! I was tying paracord to the corners, and tying that to my ends. It works, but this is a cleaner, simpler solution when in a pinch, or for a friend that does not have a UQ. I now have a Snugpack.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have things I've tried to attach as UQs. I have shock cord. I have tarp clips. I never once thought to put them all together. Really adds a lot of versatility adds new life to the things you already have. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Simple and it works. Thanks for sharing.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast