Hammock
    Blackbird Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Images

UCR Woes

Well I took the BB out this weekend for it's first hang with the UCR's and ended up awaking to the sound of sliding rope followed by a gentle thud as me and my BB descended to the ground (more than once over the two nights I was out). The UCR's were made with 7/64 amsteel with 10" bury's and I made sure to back it up with a slippery half hitch. Both the half hitch and the bury pulled through and loose. I even tried wrapping the loop of the half hitch around the toggle backed up by a second have hitch with the same results halfway through the night. Any suggestions on preventing slip with the amsteel UCR?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I would suggest a longer bury. A 10" bury is often used on Whoopie Slings, where both ends of the constrictor grip. Since that isn't the case with a UCR, you'll likely need the extra bury length.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    I am no UCR expert. Are you applying tension to the end of the constricting piece. From your description, I think that is the problem. Some guys are hanging stuff sacks, others are using bungie cord to apply tension. FROG...... FROG......Where are you?
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I am no UCR expert. Are you applying tension to the end of the constricting piece. From your description, I think that is the problem. Some guys are hanging stuff sacks, others are using bungie cord to apply tension. FROG...... FROG......Where are you?
    well ol' Frawg is probably hopping around somewhere in the rain...

I think that more likely than bury length, the key is getting some tension on the "other" end of the constricting piece. My success with doing that with hitches has been spotty, perhaps because my cord is so slippery. Hanging stuff or putting some tension on it with bungy cord is a surer path.

but not guaranteed...the UCR is, ah, touchy .....

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    well ol' Frawg is probably hopping around somewhere in the rain...
    Sorry, guys! ... was hung up with the phone company disputing a fraudulent charge; learned a new word: "cramming"

Yes, a 10" bury is severely inadequate. I shoot for a 16" bury length with my 7/64 AmSteel. Anything shorter than 14" leaves me with an occasional hiccup on the hang if I wiggle too much.

I think that more likely than bury length, the key is getting some tension on the "other" end of the constricting piece.
    Spot on! It's kinda like controlling a heavy weight by passing the line several turns around a post. You still need a little tension on the 'distant' end . (edit: i.e., on the loose end of the constriction section)

My success with doing that with hitches has been spotty, perhaps because my cord is so slippery. Hanging stuff or putting some tension on it with bungy cord is a surer path.
    Wholeheartedly agree. I just prusik an elastic hair tie loop, and it seems to work fine.

but not guaranteed...the UCR is, ah, touchy .....
    Agreed! That said, though, I have had zero problems with mine if the bury is more than 15" and I secure the touchy end with an elastic retainer.

Sorry again for being AWOL... I'll try to do better!
    Last edited by Frawg; 12-07-2009 at 14:58. Reason: clarification
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Sorry, guys! ... was hung up with the phone company disputing a fraudulent charge; learned a new word: "cramming"

Yes, a 10" bury is severely inadequate. I shoot for a 16" bury length with my 7/64 AmSteel. Anything shorter than 14" leaves me with an occasional hiccup on the hang if I wiggle too much.

Spot on! It's kinda like controlling a heavy weight by passing the line several turns around a post. You still need a little tension on the 'distant' end . (edit: i.e., on the loose end of the constriction section)

Wholeheartedly agree. I just prusik an elastic hair tie loop, and it seems to work fine.

Agreed! That said, though, I have had zero problems with mine if the bury is more than 15" and I secure the touchy end with an elastic retainer.

Sorry again for being AWOL... I'll try to do better!
    Technology can solve this problem!

• you need to be using an email system that "pushes" to your cellphone, and configure it to sound with a pre-programmed HF alert (you can choose the ringtone) when a message from [email protected] shows up
    • AngrySparrow can write a script that scans posts for a new tags we'll introduce, and then have HF email to your account. I would suggest [frawg] and [/frawg]. So when we need you, we put up a posting that includes
      [frawg]
      Hey Frawg! Need you on the UCR thread to unconfuse us!
      [/frawg]

AS's script picks it up, emails to you, your cellphone kicks in with the HF ringtone, and you tell the loan officer that you have to step out for a moment and deal with some business.

better living through computers.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    Grizz, you are cracking me up!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images

I'd try it, Grizz, but I'm afraid "someone" would claim a patent on the process and a copyright on all hammock-related ring tones.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm using an 8" bury on my UCR by hanging weight on the other end. Works fine. Forgot to attach them once and became a "groundling" before I knew it.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Sounds good, Dan. To review some of the bidding (which you certainly know, though some newbs might not realize) the UCR needs to be on the tree end of the line for that weight thing to work. It's not an option for me at the moment, since I've reverted temporarily to placing the UCR at the hammock end, to keep it under the tarp.

<Grizz mode>
    The forces involved are related by F = f *exp(kx), where 'F' is the big force (about the weight of the hammocker, for a 30 degree hang), 'f' is the "holding" force (e.g. from my elastic or Dan's hanging weight) and 'x' is the length of the bury.
    </Grizz mode>
    The unknown is the constant 'k', which I don't know and don't feel inclined to evaluate.
    Glad to see someone else coming all the way over to the Dark Side!
    Last edited by Frawg; 12-07-2009 at 19:39. Reason: Grizz would have evaluated 'k' :)
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast