AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

North Nevada - Southern Idaho Weekend

A couple weeks ago My buddy KSC and I were both able to get free and decided to get in a early spring weekend trip. We meet up in northern Nevada near the NV/ID border. The spot we had planned to hang at that we had used last year was a no go, the road still had about 3 foot snow drifts over it so we ended up trying an alternate spot I had looked at briefly last year on the way home. A small stand of aspen in a forest service campground. It worked out well and had some decent trees to work with. KSC set up his rig on the hill side above out site and I picked a spot over what was likely the tent campers opening. With the CG empty we decided to also reserve the site next to us for our fire/eating area so that the fire was a bit further away from the tarps. The wind can come up at a moments notice and we wanted to make sure no gear got damaged. We played around with some new gear I had brought out to get photos of and KSC cooked burgers for dinner.

IMG_0936.jpg IMG_1111.jpg IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0906.jpg IMG_1139.jpg IMG_0935.jpg

We hung out by the fire for a while after dark and then turned in early. In the morning I cooked up Apples with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and butter which we slathered over pancakes. MMMthatsgood!

IMG_1141.jpg

After we ate we looked over the Guidebook to the trails in the Owyhee wilderness of Idaho. We picked a spot to check out and loaded up gear and headed north for around 80 miles. The road in was not to bad and only took us about 45 minutes to cover the 10 miles of dirt off the pavement to the trail head. We grabbed some gear and took off over the flat to the canyon rim. When we hit the rim we go the first view down into the canyon and could see that the water in the stream was flowing high and fast. I figured fishing probably would not be any good but we still wanted to explore so after a few photos we headed down the grass slopes into a side canyon that we figured we could get down easier than the scree hill sides.

IMG_0985.jpg IMG_1138.jpg

We worked our way down until we hit the creek bottom and things leveled out as we approached the main stream channel. We took a break in the shade around the scrub pine and then headed to the main steam. It was off color....flowing mud... but I tried a few casts anyway.

IMG_0986.jpg IMG_1140.jpg

The plan had been to work our way down stream about a mile to mile and a half to where this stream joins with another, follow that down for a half mile or so and then turn and climb up the canyon back to the truck. But as we started down canyon we could see we would not be able to follow along close to the stream due to the flooding stage it was at. As we worked along the steep canyon sides we began to also notice that storm clouds were brewing somewhere above the rim that we could only see a little of at time.

IMG_1025.jpg IMG_1002.jpg

We decided rather than possibly ending up in a spot we could not climb out of it was best to work our way back up the hill where we could see an exit. Most of the climb went well and we only had a few sections of scree that made thing more challenging. I sent a few rocks sliding down the hill for dozens of yards but was able to avoid getting sucked into the slide myself.

IMG_1003.jpg

The constant with the storms and blue sky was pretty cool and I paused for more pictures than a few times. From the rim we could see a huge panoramic view of the storm. Lightning was hitting on the south rim while we stood on the north. Walls of rain were coming down all across the desert and blue skies behind us to the north. Unfortunately camp was to the south and we figured it was getting pounded with rain.

IMG_1001.jpg

We ended up driving right through the center of the storm on our way back south and it was coming down hard, but as we got further south we got out of the storm and back at camp the area had only gotten a light rain storm. We set about getting the fire going and dinner cooked. We ate good again, steaks, fried potatoes with bacon and I baked garlic cheese biscuits with bacon in them. We hung out by the fire till late and the rain never did circle back around at us.

In the morning we broke down camp and each turned towards home. It was another fun trip with KSC, Thanks Bud. Hope to get in another before summers heat gets to bad.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Sounds like a good trip .

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Sounded like a good time. Food sounded good. I need to make some of those biscuits. Just started getting the kit to cook on the trail.
    Take care,
    Al

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Great trip report Paul!

I sure had fun. I wish I had taken a picture of the way my truck was loaded for just a two night stay in a campground. If we needed it I probably had it.

I want to do some more exploring in that area before it gets too hot. It's very pretty and almost no people. I should have my Jeep up and running in a few weeks and that will make it easier to maneuver on those rocky narrow roads. Looking forward to doing it again.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Cool trip. Rugged area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Great trip report Paul. I got excited because I thought I was going to see some pictures of the October hang. lol. The tarp in the 3rd picture looks HUGE!
    Those are some beautiful pictures. I hope the other place is that nice. Looking forward to some new surroundings to hang in.
    Last edited by LuvmyBonnet; 04-29-2016 at 21:38.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by RIngFly View Post
    Sounds like a good trip .
    It was a lot of fun. Always good to take a couple days away to reset.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Sounded like a good time. Food sounded good. I need to make some of those biscuits. Just started getting the kit to cook on the trail.
    Take care,
    Al
    The biscuits are great, we have done them a couple times now and adding the bacon was a boss move I think. Thinking I might do a video on how to make them this year.

IMG_0983.jpg Not quite as good of photo but here is that dinner.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Great trip report Paul!

I sure had fun. I wish I had taken a picture of the way my truck was loaded for just a two night stay in a campground. If we needed it I probably had it.

I want to do some more exploring in that area before it gets too hot. It's very pretty and almost no people. I should have my Jeep up and running in a few weeks and that will make it easier to maneuver on those rocky narrow roads. Looking forward to doing it again.

Thanks K.

We always have a good time and always eat good....probably my favorite part.

Your truck might always be loaded to the gills but you always come through with the stuff I run off without.

The jeep out there would be a lot of fun. Have to see what sort of time we can make work before that whole area turns into a furnace.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Cool trip. Rugged area.
    Very rugged and remote. One of the least populated regions in the entire country.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Great trip report Paul. I got excited because I thought I was going to see some pictures of the October hang. lol. The tarp in the 3rd picture looks HUGE!
    Those are some beautiful pictures. I hope the other place is that nice. Looking forward to some new surroundings to hang in.
    This area is semi close to where the fall hang is but quite a bit different. The geography of this area has a lot of variety. This was not a bad spot to hang and close to half way for each of us.

That is the old AHE Hard Rock tarp, first tarp with exterior poles...out invention. It's only an 11' RL but with the doors out and the side up in porch it covers a pretty large foot print.

Hammock
    Dream H/Bearded H
    Tarp
    Mtn Wilderness
    Insulation
    TG-MAMW UG-UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Sounds like great times had by all...beautiful country!!!
    Wayne

• + New Posts