Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Didn't make it to Lightning. Wheels fell off the wagon two days in. Old knees couldn't take the pack weight of ten days provisioning, extra gear and the vertical.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Even if you had to make some adjustments I still hope you had an enjoyable trip.

I have really lightened up my back packing gear over the past decade. Gone UL and it has really help stretch out my back packing life span, plus it is simply more enjoyable.

Yep, swapped out my BZN made Dana Designs Terraplane for a ULA Circuit; a CF tent; or a 1 lbs. hammocktent 90 degree with a CF hammock tarp; cold camping (including cold coffee) or a alcohol stove; few "luxuries" except a small AM radio; Dog packs her chow; minimal clothing; finally gave in and went down versus synthetic sleeping bag; and inflatable insulated sleeping pad. Fortunately, I did the change over prior to retiring and had the coin to do so. Not near as fast or with as much stamina, but still plodding along the trails.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Very sorry to hear it. I hope you had fun though!

I have similar goals to your trips, though they're shorter in length. If I can make a suggestion - going light makes a TON of difference in terms of how far you can go, and how you feel doing it. Maybe you're way ahead of me here. But I agree with OlTrailDog - integrating some UL philosophies doesn't have to be misery. You'd be shocked how your comfort level doesn't have to change, but you can lighten your load a lot. For fishing within 20ft of you, I suggest Tenkara (full rod+flies+tools kit is 12oz). For wading, wading socks and lightweight water shoes (sub 1lb). I've caught tons of trout using this, up to 17inch cutbows. If you want to stick to spinning, maybe a pen rod with a lightweight reel? I'm not as familiar with UL spinning stuff. I'd expect the reel is where you can cut most of the fat, and pack a few spoons in a foam fly box.

Here's a typical list for me (link). Under 14lb base weight, about 17lb total, add 1-2lb per additional day of food (assuming you're near a water source most of the time). Good to about 30 degrees. You can shave another pound or so with a more expensive, lightweight underquilt and cuben fiber tarp. Maybe you're light already, maybe not. If not, how much further would you feel comfortable hiking with a few pounds less on your back?
    Last edited by QFT; 09-07-2017 at 12:31.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The pack weight killer on that trip was the food. 10 day supply and planning to catch some fish to supplement it. The other problem, as you're probably aware of living in Colorado, is the altitude. It get hot during the days - was around 90 - and temps into the 30's are not uncommon in the wee hours of the morning.
    The fishing on Lightning requires much longer casting than a Tenkara can provide, so I left mine at home. Fly rod rig is around a pound and my wading shoes are very light weight.
    Will be back in the gym this winter to see what I can do about the knees and achilles tendon pain that were also a problem. Was a little edgy about that since I had blown it out about 30 years ago. Don't think being 73 next spring is going to help too much.
    May try this trip again, but it looks like I may be on a trip with my two oldest grandsons. Seeley Lake through Hungry Horse and into the Bob Marshall if it all doesn't burn down this year. Not looking good around Glacier right now. Will link that route soon with a caltopo map.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Another comment I would make is to recognize and appreciate the natural progression through life. I am not near the trail dog that pounded out 55 mile day trips from Big Prairie to Spotted Bear or the 40 miles from Seeley Lake to Lincoln, MT, among other ill advised sashays I've made. At 73 you have a lot to be thankful for including the wherewithal to take a whack at you Golden Trout dream trip.

I have had to adjust my expectations and goals as I age. The key goal is to explore and enjoy the trip. That may mean shorter, lighter, and quicker forays into the hills.

Last year I aborted an attempt at the AT at 65. I was hiking strong and doing very well, but my hiking partner was experiencing physical pain from cancer treatment feeding tube scar tissue from a battle with the big C. Plus, I had to candidly recognize that my border collie was not going to be as enthused about the trip as much as I was, especially with summer not even upon us. I don't regret the decision because friends and pets take a higher priority on my list. Plus, in the end I was able to spend a number of months with my wife before she was diagnosed with dementia and the inexorable descent into blackness progressed. Fortunately, God spared us in the end when she passed away prematurely and unexpectedly during a low risk intestinal surgery.

Sometimes a "car camping" trip like my break from building over the Labor day weekend is pleasant enough respite to simply enjoy when other options have to be foregone for the time being.
    MTBearTrapBLM090517_2.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    What I've learned from this is when I'm 73, I'm hiring a helicopter to drop me at my destination. Hell, I'm not sure I could make that kind of trek and I'm half the age. Give me the helicopter now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123