Newb advice on hammock purchase

Howdy all! I'm about to start my venture into the hammock camping realm and would like a little advice. I've been looking at three different hammocks, the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro which I can get for $75 at my local Dunhams; a Hennessy Expedition Asym (about $160 for zipper model); and the Warbonnet Blackbird ($170 base). I know the WBBB seems to be the premier choice but of course it would take some funds from other supplies which I need to acquire too. Should I just ante up and do it or would I be happy for a season or so in the Grand Trunk? I found a lot of good reviews in the GT, but also quite a few stating zipper and netting tears, etc.
    If it matters where I'll be using it, I live in Indiana and will be in the HNF a lot, possibly 4 seasons.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz
    My WBBB is the finest hammock I have used. After several purchases, I could have saved money by buying it first. Unfortunately, I have found that to be true of most gear - do your research and buy once - even if it cost a little more up front. Unless you're a good diy'er, the old saying "you get what you pay for" seems to hold true in most cases. Since you're new to hammocking, I'll also throw in another bit of advise. Buy a good quality of under-quilt and learn how to use it. This is going to cost you some $. But it's worth it when you get a warm, comfortable nights sleep while others are fiddling with their pads, etc.
    There are other good hammocks besides WB also. I have heard great reviews about Papa Smurfs dream hammocks though I have no experience with them. Watch Shugs video series, too.
    Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide.
    Jeff

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    In my experience, when you settle you often end up buying twice. If I had bought my BB at first it would have saved me money in the long run. Gear can get expensive but if you get higher end stuff up front you'll likely not need to upgrade in the future and you'll also be happier. Just my 2 cents.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    YO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Still a relative noob myself, but I went with the Grand Trunk when I started last year and have been on 2 official outings with it, plus a few nights in the back yard, I personally think that it was a fine choice for me as a starter. I have had no issues with tearing of the zipper or netting, though I am pretty gentle with it, and I like the fact that when I do not need the netting I just flip the hammock over and let the netting hang below. That being said, I am now starting to think about upgrading, because I think I could use something longer possibly an 11' netless from Dutch, but I will absolutely be keeping the GT as a backup or a loaner if I can get my buddy to come try it out.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    at around 120-160 price point there are TONS of customizable, quality options that would be far superior IMO to a hennessy, and definitelya SB pro. I would check out dream hammock, hammeck and simply light designs. The base model at simply light designs with an integrated net is 99 dollars, with the opportunity for any fabric, and full customization. They will also work with you for ANY customizations/questions that you may have. Additionally, SLD has some already in stock hammocks that are discounted. Shopping around can be hectic, but you have so many awesome options and vendors out there that can answer your questions and help you along the way.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    ...Or come to the hang at the HNF this weekend and I'll sell you my Hammeck Netty for $135.😀

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    BIAS Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    ...Or come to the hang at the HNF this weekend and I'll sell you my Hammeck Netty for $135.��

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    There you go. Plus you'll get a chance to check out other set ups at the same time. Sounds like a win to me.
    Or I'll second the Simply Light Designs. My first hammock was the Trail Lair. Haven't been disappointed with it ever.

Wow, a ton of good advice! Thanks all. And thanks for the offer Countybois, but don't think I can this weekend. I'll shout if things change. I'm only 45 min to an hour from Combs Rd at HNF.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Nothing at all wrong with the SB Pro. When I started out the WBBB was, and arguably still is, THE hammock. That said, I don't have one and I don't see myself getting one. I tried a couple other hammocks, both of them much cheaper than the name brands, and found my favorite in the SLD streamliner. Add a separate bugnet and you have a year round setup.

Never had the others, but my WBBB is a tremendous piece of quality gear, and Brandon there is a joy to work with.

• + New Posts