Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler88 View Post
    No there is no water that you can legally use at all in the GUMO backcountry. There are some small springs but they have regulations that don't allow you to use it. And none of them are up in the mountains. You have to carry all your own water from Pine Springs or Dog Canyon.
    Wrangler,

Thanks for taking the time to post these videos. It really helps everyone in planning a trip. Also, have you done an out and back (same trails) and just stashed water at various places on the route? I know in the last trip report you mentioned hiking down a trail and leaving water at a junction for the next day. But I was thinking if one could stash water at 3 to 4 spots on the way up it would be easier to do a 3 day trip.

I know it means a very heavy pack for the first part of day one, but it could allow you to spend more than one night up there before heading back.
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 04-18-2016 at 14:57.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Wrangler,

Thanks for taking the time to post these videos. It really helps everyone in planning a trip. Also, have you done an out and back (same trails) and just stashed water at various places on the route? I know in the last trip report you mentioned hiking down a trail and leaving water at a junction for the next day. But I was thinking if one could stash water at 3 to 4 spots on the way up it would be easier to do a 3 day trip.

I know it means a very heavy pack for the first part of day one, but it could allow you to spend more than one night up there before heading back.
    Yeah, for sure. Thanks for checking them out.
    I did a couple out and backs back in December. I also posted videos of that trip on HF and youtube.
    I specifically did that so that I didn't have to carry as much water. You for sure could drop water. In my opinion, GUMO's trail layout, makes it easy to do lollipop or figure 8 shaped hikes. This leaves trail junctions a great place to stash water. Also, on my last trip, I didn't mention it but we dropped a liter of water at the Marcus Campsite (where we ended up staying the last night) on the first day at lunch. I've spent a ton of time studying GUMO maps to try and figure out the best routes and how to manage water on these trips.

I said after this last trip that I was probably going to take a while off from GUMO and do some other trips. And while I still plan on backpacking a few places closer to DFW, I'm pretty sure I'll be back at GUMO before the end of the year. Maybe in Fall when the leaves start to change and the weather is getting cool.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Just took another trip out to Guadalupe Mountains and did a few more videos over the backcountry campsites I went by. Here are the campsites at Mescalero, McKittrick Ridge, and Dog Canyon. They show the hammock opportunities at each site. And as always, if anyone has any questions over GUMO, I am always down to talk about it.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the videos! Glad to have a definitive answer on whether or not I can use a hammock there!

Awesome!

Planning a trip, spending 2 nights at Mescalero. I needed this!
    I'm a little nervous about finding trees for a hang but it looks like there are at least a couple of options. Thank you for sharing these!!

Are there trees to hang from in the Guadalupe Peak backcountry campground?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Yeah there are a couple places. But they won't be out of the wind at all.

Thanks for taking the time to make these videos. They've been very helpful in planing out my trip!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Here is the Guadalupe Peak Backcountry Campground. Pretty popular campsites as far as Guadalupe Mountains goes. Plenty of hammock possibilities as well as some great views.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    All great video’s, you’ve covered the Guadalupe’s pretty thoroughly. I especially liked your McKittrick Canyon trail video. Are you planning to do any hikes in the Sacramento’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast