Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Hyper-D Winter sock

This is my new Hyper-D winter sock. One end is about 8" wide and will cinch or open for ventilation, I also kept the selvedge edge visible on the top, ridgeline seam, so some of the little perforations still are exposed. I hope that will aid in the reduction of condensation. 6 yards of Hyper-D uncalendared from RBR, a 6' section of #3 zipper and two pulls. The zipper goes from top to bottom on the side facing the camera, and I have a little mitten clip attaching to the ridgeline so the weight of the zipper doesn't spin the sock around. Just laying in it inside the house was a 15* difference inside.

This is specifically so I can bring my gear down to the Boy Scout Klondike Derby temps they always seem to get, singles-low 20's in past years with my uq, sleeping bag, pads and tarp down tight, with extra clothing.

IMG_1383.jpg
    Beckyinma~

-----------------------------------
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Nice job. I wonder a little about how that selvage edge is going to hold up. Be nice to hear back after a bunch of use, see if it's still in good shape. I like how you are trying to tackle the condensation with a little ventilation. Not quite clear on how the zipper/mitten hook thing is working. Did the sock spin on you and you then added it to try and fix the issue?

Pretty cool though, for sure it will help with the Klondike, it's a windstopper and bonus warmer temps kind of thing. Nice work.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Nice job. I like how you are trying to tackle the condensation with a little ventilation. Not quite clear on how the zipper/mitten hook thing is working. Did the sock spin on you and you then added it to try and fix the issue?

Pretty cool though, for sure it will help with the Klondike, it's a windstopper and bonus warmer temps kind of thing. Nice work.
    Thanks, The zipper is just heavy enough to cause the sock to spin just a bit, when setting up/getting in and out and the RL seam to go off kilter. I wouldn't want that to cause any problems with tension/compression underneath an underquilt, or pulling in a funny way, so I added a little loop of grosgrain to the inside rl seam at the very top of the zipper seam and added a mitten hook to that, so that the rl seam of the sock isn't just resting on the ridgeline, it's attached. I did notice that when unzipping it, it did pull the seam significantly off center, so the hook also acts as a tensioner so I can unzip without having to hold the sock in place.

In terms of the selvage edge, just the little bit of perforation is showing. Otherwise, the seam is double folded over, almost like a flat felled, but not quite. I'm quite confident that it'll hold up. If not, I'll just fold it down one more fold and sew it across.

I'm really hoping it helps with temperature control, I love camping with the kids, and waking up all cozy in my hammock in the morning.
    Beckyinma~

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Nice work there Becky. I great way to simplify the sewing of the zip and the mitten hook, genius!
    Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckyinma View Post
    Thanks, The zipper is just heavy enough to cause the sock to spin just a bit, when setting up/getting in and out and the RL seam to go off kilter. I wouldn't want that to cause any problems with tension/compression underneath an underquilt, or pulling in a funny way, so I added a little loop of grosgrain to the inside rl seam at the very top of the zipper seam and added a mitten hook to that, so that the rl seam of the sock isn't just resting on the ridgeline, it's attached. I did notice that when unzipping it, it did pull the seam significantly off center, so the hook also acts as a tensioner so I can unzip without having to hold the sock in place.

In terms of the selvage edge, just the little bit of perforation is showing. Otherwise, the seam is double folded over, almost like a flat felled, but not quite. I'm quite confident that it'll hold up. If not, I'll just fold it down one more fold and sew it across.

I'm really hoping it helps with temperature control, I love camping with the kids, and waking up all cozy in my hammock in the morning.
    Ah now I get it. My bug net that is a similar design actually has a few tabs that I can connect to the ridge line. Hadn't used it in so long, forgot about that.

Waking up cozy warm is one of the best parts of hammocking. I can sleep well past 10AM if I don't smell someone else cooking breakfast.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Banned
    Images
    Awesome . Any more pics?

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    All of my winter hangs in 4 years have been in my WB sock and last few time's I haven't bothered setting up a tarp. Last weekend on the AT it dropped down to 25 and I woke up to some major condensation even with the zipper opening of about 2 inches. I find adding light shock cord with mitten hooks for connecting the sock to the ridgeline keeps the sock in place. My other issue with the sock is sitting up to close the sock. After a day of hiking my body doesn't bend that well at my age. The vertical zipper would make that easier. Thanks for sharing your project
    OldnWay

Quote Originally Posted by OldNWay View Post
    All of my winter hangs in 4 years have been in my WB sock and last few time's I haven't bothered setting up a tarp. Last weekend on the AT it dropped down to 25 and I woke up to some major condensation even with the zipper opening of about 2 inches. I find adding light shock cord with mitten hooks for connecting the sock to the ridgeline keeps the sock in place. My other issue with the sock is sitting up to close the sock. After a day of hiking my body doesn't bend that well at my age. The vertical zipper would make that easier. Thanks for sharing your project
    I love the idea of a sock to keep warm and dry rather than a tarp. I actually have an idea for a potential rain-proof sock that doesn't condense on the inside. Do you know of anyone that has an sock I could play with and see if it works?

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
    Awesome . Any more pics?
    I will try for more pics later this week including closeups of zipper etc.
    Beckyinma~

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I tried my sock last night in the back yard (Hubby is away, bed to myself or hammock... hammock). It was 45* when I went to bed and 32* and frosty when I woke up. Slept like a baby for 6 hours straight and I don't do that in my own bed. But I woke up with a headache because I don't have the DL hammock dialed in quite yet.

My karo step DIY underquit filled with Costco pillow down worked flawlessly. No cold spots and that's the coldest it's been without an extra cf pad.

As for the sock: I had condensation inside the sock, but only over my face and torso. It wasn't drippy but if I spent any extra time in there it certainly would've began. Of course, I slept an extra 15 minutes and was almost late for work, so no extra time to enjoy my nice cozy cocoon...

three more nights.
    Beckyinma~

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast