Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

MI> 2nd Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang Did somebody say bacon?

Although I only got one night in for this hang, I'll start the thread and others can continue the story. image.jpg

Even only being on the fringe, Petro managed to dump 6-8" of fresh snow Wednesday night. TZ Brown and Dogger drove up before the worst of the storm and trekked into GT Wednesday evening. More of us drove in bright and early Thursday morning. The parking lot was slick ice beneath the snow; a bad omen. image.jpg
    Loading our pulls, we soon found the footing treacherous with many of us taking our first spills in the parking lot. But the sun came out and the scenery was spectacular. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    It was a slow walk into the cabin, but we all made it without major trauma and commenced selecting our trees and setting up before attending to camp chores of fire, food and water. TZ and Dogger cut and hauled the first night's worth of firewood allowing the rest of us the chance to relax some. Dogger also heated up his stew, which may have had some cabbage in it, not sure, but it was delicious.
    For the majority of us, some having started the day waay early, hiker midnight came soon. I was in my hammock by 9 snuggled in for a long night of blissful slumber. Reported low was between 9 & 5 degrees as the hearty wind settled and the cloud cover cleared. I was pleased to find my Enlighted Equipment 20 degree TQ and JRB Greylock 4 was comfortable down to 10 degrees. I woke early to CBS. Thought about putting on more clothing, but heard Turkey splitting wood in the cabin and decided to head in and start Coffee instead.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Bacon was in plentiful supply and made often.
    image.jpg
    Midday, a handful of us decided activity, besides collecting firewood, was in order and decided to snowshoe to the nearby Honeymoon Cabin.

Badwind7, our far traveler from Kentucky did his maiden snowshoe trek at this hang. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpg
    Unfortunately I had to leave after the snowshoeing trek, so others will have to pick up the story from here.

Awesome trip report, Don! It made me feel like I was there. Wait a minute, I was. Just got home and starting to unpack and de-baconize all my gear. I'll work on adding more of the delicious details tomorrow. The tally for the weekend was 17-20 who braved this year's Big Tree Hang. Next year's date will be the last weekend of February at Green Timbers.

Looking forward to hearing more from those who braved the snowy woods of northern Michigan. Thanks for making the weekend a success.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Great report, I will get busy on the video tomorrow.

I really enjoyed the 4 nights, 5 days up in the woods. More to follow

Just got a message from Chuck in KY

"Made it home safe at 8:35pm, Please let the guys know that I thank them all for a great weekend and all that I learned.
    Looking forward to doing it again, I would make the drive anytime for that kind of company. Thanks again"
    Last edited by TZBrown; 02-28-2016 at 21:03.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps
    I was really worried after coming back out. The trail back to the parking lot was pure ice. The temperature was high enough to melt anything that gave you traction on the ice and leave a nice wet slick layer to traverse. The parts that weren't icy were dirt, not easy pulling your pulk on. The skiing wasn't to bad except for the downhill sections. No way to slow down. Intermittent ice + fast speeds = fall. Hopefully everyone with pulks also had some kind of spikes or cleated snow shoes.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Looks like a good time with Mr. Pine E. Woods! Sorry I missed you guys. My son got sick, then my wife, so it was good I stayed home. I'm still feeling OK (knock on wood), so I hope to get up there for a make-up trip this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    I thought I posted this earlier It really was a great weekend

Last edited by TZBrown; 02-29-2016 at 21:54.
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Time to fill in some more of the details from our weekend in the snowy woods of northern Michigan. We ended up having about 17-20 of us at various times. First of all, everyone had to get there. Badwinds (Chuck) gets the award for longest distance traveled, after driving from Kentucky through the snowstorm and arriving at Big Boy at 6:00 AM. The Pantologist (Andrew) and I left the metro Detroit area at 5:00 AM and experienced a few close calls plus saw a few other unfortunate drivers in the ditch. We made it up to Gaylord and caught the end of breakfast with Turkey, Squirrelbait and Badwinds. From there, we headed over to Green Timbers and got our first look at the snowy parking lot and trail. Donk67 was there waiting and ready to go. A quick phone call to the Pigeon River State Forest HQ resulted in a plow truck cleaning it out within minutes. Hats off to them for taking care of us!

The hike in was beautiful with the new snowfall. Unfortunately, the fresh snow covered the sheet of ice below and few of us ended up taking some tumbles before we got the 2.5 miles to the cabin. Temps were in the mid 20's and the sun was shining.

The Green Timbers Cabin is beautiful in the winter and upon arrival, we met up with TZ Brown and Dogger who came in the day before with their hot tent setups. After everyone got their gear setup, it was time to get camp organized, make a fire going and have the first of many group meals. Throughout the rest of the day, more people arrived (Thunderarrows, Indy138 and another Don). We had a great evening relaxing around the campfire and catching up. That night we hit a low of around 5-7 degrees.

Friday morning I cooked up a couple pounds of spicy sausage gravy and cornbread. TwistinintheWind and Cncd11 showed up later on that morning with their group, plus John D. and his crew. AndrewB skiied in with his pack and made a grand entrance coming down the hill into camp. The day was spent just relaxing around the campfire, eating more bacon and sweet treats: Dogger and his bacon cupcakes

Twistin made up a variety of chocolate treats and twix bars. The chocolate covered bacon was amazing and the bourbon bacon balls were over the top. Lunch was Turkey's famous french onion soup complete with cheese and low fat croutons. Low fat? What was he thinking?

A group hike took place and a number of us went up to check out the Honeymoon Cabin.

Wood gathering seemed like a never ending process, but with TZ Browns super slider DIY sled and wood stacking skills, it made it a breeze, sorta. Dogger made a great supervisor

TZ taught the Pantologist how it's done.....

With camp all set and a roaring fire, more bacon and snacks kept us filled! Dinner was Jambalaya with spicy hot sausage, ham, chicken, plus the remains of Turkey's french onion soup. The next day, someone thought the leftover soup remains in the pot was some type of tapeworm...

Saturday morning started out perfect with Badwinds making a Dutch oven breakfast casserole, brats by Thunderarrows and more bacon on the griddle. Here's some stats for the food consumed and other meals: 15 lbs of bacon (plus or minus), many dozen cupcakes, 4 lbs of cheese, 6 lbs of brats, tortillas, 5 dozen eggs, venison fajitas by Squirrelbailt, coffee, bannock on the griddle with bacon grease and chili.

Badwinds (Chuck) needed a nap and some time for things to digest...

The day was just spent lollygaging, collecting wood and the traditional "Parade of Hammocks":

I'm sure I don't have all the food listed but the highlight of the weekend was Cncd11's signature pork Posada that was cooked to perfection. He has the award for best meal 2 years running. I'm putting a request in for next year that he cooks it again.

We spent another evening around the campfire and enjoyed the fellowship with new found friends. Our last night around the campfire was special, since we all knew the weekend was coming to a close. A couple of us took a night hike up to the Honeymoon Cabin. It was very peaceful up there.

Temps that night were at least 25 and it was great sleeping beneath the big pines. That night, a few of us heard the coyotes and at 7:00 AM, an evil crow decided it was time to get people up.

The warm up in temps didn't help and the white snow turned to mush. After eating another dutch oven breakfast with whatever was leftover, it was time to pack up and head out on the icy trail. Groups left throughout the morning. It was a little dicey hiking out and avoiding the big puddles which turned our pulks into boats. Our group were the last ones out. Goodbye's were said and everyone headed out for home.

Some closing thoughts on this long and picture heavy report: I'd like to thank everyone for making this weekend special. Everyone pitched in, helped out and kept the camp running smooth. I know that I learned some new things that will help me out in the woods. Having TZ and Dogger there gave everyone inspiration that yes, there is life in the woods after 60!

I hope I mentioned everybody and gave them credit, but I'm bad with names and everything seems like it was a blur. Please post your stories and pictures. I'd also like to thank the Pigeon River State Forest for hosting our group.

I'm also glad we were able to finally clear out the garbage in the cabin left by people whose LNT ethics are lacking. Hauling out someone else's garbage is a pain, but it needed to be done. The Green Timbers Cabin and property are a special place and I hope everyone who attended enjoyed the weekend as much as I did.

FYI, next years date of the 3rd Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang will be the last weekend of February 23 to 26, 2017. See you in the pines!

Link to photobucket:
    http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mic...g%20Feb%202016
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-29-2016 at 16:13.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    FYI, next years date of the 3rd Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang will be the last weekend of February 23 to 26, 2017. See you in the pines!
    Third time's a charm, right? I hope to be there!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    AndrewB

I have your bowl and fork
    Oops, you're right, I did forget it. Felt like I had left something behind. We get out to the detroit area roughly 2-4 times a year. I'll PM you next time I am in your neck of the woods or we are going to the same event. But also, feel free to trash it if you don't want to deal with it.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Oops, you're right, I did forget it. Felt like I had left something behind. We get out to the detroit area roughly 2-4 times a year. I'll PM you next time I am in your neck of the woods or we are going to the same event. But also, feel free to trash it if you don't want to deal with it.
    It is on the shelf and will be there when you call
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast