diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh

Testing the SLS....

Hi all....I've been looking at the SLS sticky and decided to give it a try. Instead of using my DIY camo hammy (which has the RL already attached) I used my modified Eno DN. Instead of clove-hitching to the rings coming from the CL at the hammy ends, I used the method Griz suggested but I only wrapped three turns instead of 4 or 5. My straps didn't have loops sewn in the ends so I just tied bowlines. Well, it certainly held me and I could easily make adjustments. I'll have to purchase more amsteel and sew loops into the ends of my tree straps. The amsteel I used for todays test goes with my toss bag that I use to hang a bear bag or an antenna. I think I'll continue to use my MSH and whoopies but will definitely play with the SLS suspension and see if I can improving my setup time. Thanks headchange4u.
    IMG_20160130_143600.jpgIMG_20160130_104046881.jpgIMG_20160130_104031886.jpg
    Last edited by wa4chq; 01-30-2016 at 18:29.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing! So, is the purpose essentially to allow ridgeline adjustment on the fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing! So, is the purpose essentially to allow ridgeline adjustment on the fly?
    See the "sticky" at the top of this subforum...

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Thanks. Had a look (it's a huge sticky!), but still not sure what use it'd be for me since I don't adjust my ridgeline once it's set. Cool to see a different suspension method though.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hi dcolon13....yeah, that was my question to....reading the sticky, the setup went from the original post idea to having a seperate and fixed RL and whoopies, which is what I'm using now......Is it a weight issue or is it faster to hang with this? I'm gonna mess around with it using my spare hammock and just see what it's all about....fun to test different methods.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Well, I gave it a test run again yesterday. My goal was to set it up, fine tune it then seeing what the best way for putting it away would be. Then I'd see if setting it up would be better then what I'm using now.....whoopies, toggles and msh. The bag I store it in is open at one end, the other I have the cl w/ring hanging out. so the first thing I did was feed one end of the SLS thru that hole and then I made four round turns thru the ring and then made it off temporarily to the bowline I made on the tree straps. Holding on to the hammock to keep it off the ground, I estimated the length I wanted for the "RL" and repeated what I did on the head end.....Then I tightened everything up, slid the hammock to center between the trees then laid in it. Had to make a few adjustments to get the hang right. OK. Now for the downside. First thing that occurred was the tension on the SLS that passed thru the storage bag caused the hole to enlarge along the sewn seam. Not good. I changed it so the the ridgeline was now outside the bag. The other thing was as soon as the tension was release, the line passing thru the ring also slackened up big time.....I didn't like that, so made it off with a clove hitch like the original poster did. Mind you, yesterday with the windchill, temps were below freezing. None of this could be done with my gloves on.....so my hands were getting pretty cold. Got everything hung again, adjusted and good to go. OK, now lets put it away. Not good. This would be better for a bag that is opened on both ends, not with the bag I was using. The line on the open end could be made up and stuffed in the bag but then I had to deal with the outside ridgeline and the rest of the SRL. Bottom line because everyone is I'm sure very confused with my explanation is that I like my old system better. Set up and break down time is fast and smooth. I'm sure the SRL if fiddled with enough would be a good system and I'm glad I gave it a try so keep your hands off my whoopies cuz I'm keepin' 'em!

• + New Posts