Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    UGQWD
    Insulation
    Homebrew UQ
    Suspension
    Webing/Buckle

Question EAST Coast BLIZZARD Experience!?!?

Hello all,Ive been lurking on this site for a while before finally creating an account.Thanks in advance.... and for the help ive already gotten from other posts. Im currently 223 days into a year outside and wasn't going to let the predicted snow stop me. I am using a WBBB, and UGQ Winters Dream. Even with the tarp buttoned shut after the first 8 inches of snow i noticed my heavily worn dirt ground under me was turning white. And as of yet nothing got under the tarp rain or sleet or even other small snows we got earlier this winter. I woke warm and toasty as usual and started the day checking emails and what not, i rolled to the side to reach out for my water and a shot of cold rushed under me.After pulling off my top bag i noticed 6 to 8 inches of snow on top of me only moving allowed it under me. No big deal opened up the tarp took gear inside to dry and back out once i dug out my area.My questions are...Is this just a blizzard fluke, combined with the nasty wind that allowed this to happen?...normal when it snows 15 inches?... or am i missing something....I see that a few fellers made it out in the blizzard any snow advice or techniques are greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Where are you located? Ask anyone who's ever lived on the northern Plains, in Canada, or in far northern New England: with the right conditions windblown snow can get through any opening.

I've never hung a hammock totally exposed in those conditions, but I've been outside in them plenty. I've opened ski lift shacks after an overnight storm and found inches of snow inside and a small break in the weatherstripping of the door. I've seen 6" drifts inside of garage doors that didn't seal well. Light snow combined with cold and wind is like sand or an old 1930s Dustbowl storm.

That said, I find it extremely hard to believe you had 8" of snow on top of you and didn't notice it. If you're serious about that then there's something wrong. Have I had some snow get under my WD? Sure. How to prevent it? First, hang it in a place where you're not in 30 mph winds! I've been out in snowstorms that might have been blizzard-like, but I've found sheltered spots to pitch. Orient the tarp so the wind hits the sides and not the doors. Be careful with the pitch and your side tie-out outs so that there isn't so much tension that the doors don't close well. Pitch as low as possible (maybe only an inch above hammock ridgeline in places) and bury 6+ inches of the sidewall below the existing snow.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien #3000
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopies
    Sounds like an adventure! Pull the upwind door across last so the snow blows past and not through the seam it makes.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Eight inches on top of you? Did you take and pictures or can you elaborate a little more?

Were your doors overlapped?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
    Sounds like an adventure! Pull the upwind door across last so the snow blows past and not through the seam it makes.
    RonS makes a good point, but this is kinda' hard with a Winter Dream.

The WD has snaps to hold the doors shut, but if you're really battening down the hatches for a blizzard you'd be better off overlapping and staking the doors separately with the outside door on the windward side, even if only a couple of inches. The cut of the tarp makes this more difficult than it would seem: you have to loosen the tension on the end tie-outs because the doors are cut so they butt flush, not overlapping. So you have to "pinch" the ends of the tarp in a bit, by moving the end tie-outs parallel with the sidewall. I've only done this one time with mine and it was a pain - and I did for a warm spring rain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    As far as I am concerned with Hammock tarps there is no winning when it comes to wind blown snows.....it will get into onto everything.
    Other than having a Hot Tent or the likes that is sealed up tight I will utilize a 9x12 canvas drop cloth draped over the ridge line and buttoned together on the ends. Keeps the wind swept snow out of the hammock

Before and after from a 42" snow storm we got last Feb. Not a drop of snow inside the Hammy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    UGQWD
    Insulation
    Homebrew UQ
    Suspension
    Webing/Buckle
    Afternoon all and thanks for the quick responses, Ha as far as the amount of snow or snow coverage on top of me i should have explained better. Im not talking about 8 inches of snow from head to toe but in a pocket roughly 2 feet long around my thighs to stomach from side to side of the hammock a solid 7 inches. once i verified thats what was sliding under me my thought was to get as much of it out as quickly as possible. As far as my doors they slightly overlap when they button shut but as grumpy squatch mentioned i may try that instead because i think thats where the majority of my snow came from once the wind picked up.(I live in a valley between two mountains and the wind.....usually is the culprit for ANY issue ever had) Unfortunately because my setup is semi permanent and im not in the woods i dont have the advantage of walls to the wind but with the wind facing door heavily overlapped and a snow drop cloth it may be problem solved.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyHung View Post
    Afternoon all and thanks for the quick responses, Ha as far as the amount of snow or snow coverage on top of me i should have explained better. Im not talking about 8 inches of snow from head to toe but in a pocket roughly 2 feet long around my thighs to stomach from side to side of the hammock a solid 7 inches. once i verified thats what was sliding under me my thought was to get as much of it out as quickly as possible. As far as my doors they slightly overlap when they button shut but as grumpy squatch mentioned i may try that instead because i think thats where the majority of my snow came from once the wind picked up.(I live in a valley between two mountains and the wind.....usually is the culprit for ANY issue ever had) Unfortunately because my setup is semi permanent and im not in the woods i dont have the advantage of walls to the wind but with the wind facing door heavily overlapped and a snow drop cloth it may be problem solved.
    You could zip up your bugnet to keep snow and spindrift out in serious windy snowy weather. Looks like you have a WBBB. That would keep snow off of you and keep it from getting under you.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Stay safe and warm shug

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien #3000
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopies
    I have a Superfly which is very similar with the exception of the buttons. The way I do it is to set the ridge line, stake out the doors and then the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    RonS makes a good point, but this is kinda' hard with a Winter Dream.

The WD has snaps to hold the doors shut, but if you're really battening down the hatches for a blizzard you'd be better off overlapping and staking the doors separately with the outside door on the windward side, even if only a couple of inches. The cut of the tarp makes this more difficult than it would seem: you have to loosen the tension on the end tie-outs because the doors are cut so they butt flush, not overlapping. So you have to "pinch" the ends of the tarp in a bit, by moving the end tie-outs parallel with the sidewall. I've only done this one time with mine and it was a pain - and I did for a warm spring rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast