SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

General Warmth In Sub Zero Temperatures

Hoping you guys can add some advice. I've been really wanting to get into sub zero hammocking (especially after watching Shug's videos). I currently have an ENO DN which i will be replacing down the line. I have a HG 0º Incubator as well as an ENO Vulcan (which i have heard is good down to 30 or 40º). I would double these up underneath. For the top insulation i would use my REI igneo 20º sleeping bag and then use my wife's REI Joule 20º unzipped and more like a top quilt. Within that i use an REI sit pad in the foot box and a bit of reflectix. I will most likely use a Warbonnet Superfly as well. Do you guys think that will be enough to get down to 0 to -20º or so??

I was playing with this in my house but haven't had time to test outside yet.

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Honestly only one way to find out
    Back yard test it

Your on track to push the the temps down so test test test and test some more to figure what works for you.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good lordie that's a lotta down

I would say a definite "yes". But like bkrgi said, be sure you can test it. Either in your yard, or car camping so you have a quick backup plan (warm up in car, readjust gear, or just bail)

By the way, for me, -20° is SOOO much different than 0°. You really need to be prepared to keep your hands and feet warm outside of the hammock as well. But I guess that's common sense.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    At the extreme temps, how gear works (or doesnt) in concert with other pieces becomes the primary consideration in the testing. Some items complement each other well when used together. Others not so much. How different pieces affect the performance of others and whether the combination of all is optimal is the purpose of the testing. I spent one winter in my backyard testing various configurations of items. One will learn intemately how each piece functions alone and with other items. Knowledge is the goal, then you can adapt to various conditions. Often people will say item x doesnt wirk, when the reality is is doesnt work in conjunction with another piece of gear. It is a systems approach, not an addition problem.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    I have yet to be in those temps while in a hammock. So while I cant speak to that I do have experience out in those temps while tenting, and the head/hands/feet/face become the issue. I will typically have a light balaclava, fleece beenie and wool overhat, complete with ski goggles and mask. Any bit of wind in those temps is rough and having protection on your chin, nose, and even for your eyes is essential. With my hands I can say I took a lot of shugs advice from his clothing video's. But wrist warmers are amazing in sub zero temps. I have those, a pair of light wool glove liners and then some overmitts. I also take a spare pair of glove liners with me. For my feet in camp I usualy just have on a pair of wool socks some big wool oversocks and my down booties. I always have spare dry socks on hand.

Its a lot of extra weight and things to bring along but I dont like to mess around in the winter.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I appreciate all the input. Hopefully I will be able to test everything this weekend!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes....that would more than likely get you to around -20ºF in my opinion, depending on your attitude and prep. For sure test first.
    Also I don't think you will need the reflectix in there.
    Carry forth,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Keep a nice hot fire going!! Going to bed warm is just as important as your insulation. Also, if you are cold during the night you can always warm up by it with a simple stoking as opposed to relighting.
    Eat some cheese before bed too!!
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    11 camo diy
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, burrow
    Suspension
    Kevlar, UCR's
    Just as reference, i use a HG 0* UQ & TQ, only been down to 10* so far but toasty warm. 2 things i do before bed is to eat a handful of nuts. Your digestion with produce heat, the second is to drain the bladder at 1st need. Your body uses 90% of the heat it creates to keep urine at temp. Again just my 2 cents, what works for me!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Things change dramatically at near 0 and below, especially breathing the frigid air.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast