Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting through the Portugese winter

Hey!
    I'm currently in the south of Portugal and the winters here are really mild. The night temperatures barely drop to the freezing point. I have an amazonas mosquitotraveller hammock, a nordisk tarp and a 5 degree rated synthetic sleeping bag (robens trailhead 1000). My question is, what's the cheapest way to make this setup comfortable for freezing temps? I only really need to get through this winter as next winter I'll be in a warmer place. So the cheapest option will suffice, as I'll likely drop the piece of gear come march/april.
    I've considered so far: Thermarest z-lite and Sea to summit thermolite reactor/extreme. Will these work seperately/together?
    Would the thermolite reactor extreme keep me warm alone without a pad? It says it ups your sleeping bag temp by +15, obviously it's not gonna be that much but it should keep me warm through -1 with a 5 degree bag right? Or am I underestimating the warmth you lose by hanging?
    What do you more experienced hangers recommend?
    Chris

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    CCF pad ..or 2
    Just watch for condensation formation and air dry accordingly each day

Cheap and it works
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Any foam pad will work, but I find that the thinner ones (3-5mm) are easier to use in a hammock. I'd rather use two 4mm foam pads than one 8mm pad.

Quote Originally Posted by LunoLunoLuno View Post
    I only really need to get through this winter as next winter I'll be in a warmer place. So the cheapest option will suffice, as I'll likely drop the piece of gear come march/april.
    What do you mean by that? Are you planning on only using hammock, tarp and sleeping bag? Unless you sleep very warm and/or nighttime temperatures are sufficiently high, you will need some insulation under you. For most people, a sleeping bag does not provide enough insulation.

If you're planning to use your hammock for a long time, the cheapest solution would be to get a proper underquilt. Of 100 people who try not to spend money on an underquilt, at least 90 end up with one eventually - and most will have spent way more money than they would have if they had gotten one right away. If you ask what long time hangers would do differently if they could start all over again, most will say they would get an underquilt right away...

However, you could also look into something like the DD Hammocks Underblanket - or the Snugpak Under Blanket. Those blankets won't provide the same insulation as a down underquilt, and they're heavier, of course, but for a lot of people they're sufficient in late spring, summer and early fall. And you can boost the warmth with a foam pad in winter.

Hey, thanks or the reply
    Do you still need an underquilt if night temperatures don't go below 5?
    http://www.holiday-weather.com/algarve/averages/
    These are the min and max temps for here, and it's the coldest place I plan on staying.
    If so, could you recommend me a good, not too heavy synthetic underquilt that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg? Down is not an option because I don't like using animals.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Do you still need an underquilt if night temperatures don't go below 5?
    I need an underquilt even when the lowest night-time temperature is 30°C... If I remember correctly, a lot of (probably male) forum members said they need an underquilt up to 60°F / 15°C. When you need bottom insulation certainly depends on your metabolism, but I don't believe you would be warm without insulation at 5°C. Have you already used your set-up? If so, what temperatures did you see?

If so, could you recommend me a good, not too heavy synthetic underquilt that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg? Down is not an option because I don't like using animals.
    I already did. If you sleep warm, both the DD Underblanket and the Snugpak Under Blanket could be exactly what you are looking for (see my last post for links). Both can be bought in Europe, so you won't have to pay customs. Both are very reasonably priced. I doubt you will find anything cheaper, unless you DIY. If you don't mind spending a bit more for better quality and more warmth, have a look at AHE's Kickass quilts. They're synthetic, but you have to order in the US.

Thanks a lot for your thorough reply
    The DD underblanket seems like a really nice and affordable option. The snugpak one is more expensive and I don't really see the upside.
    I haven't tried my setup yet but I'm planning on going out to the woods in the weekend to get some practice and see how hard it is to get into my sleeping bag. If it's really that annoying the DD top quilt seems very nice too.

Again thanks a lot, you've helped me avoid the mistake of not seeing an underquilt as an essential part of hammock camping.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I haven't tried my setup yet
    That's what I thought after reading your question. If you don't want to spend a miserable night, take a foam pad (or any pad you have). Try sleeping without insulation first. Then you know 100% if you need bottom insulation. My guess is, you do. Pads in hammocks are not great, but they will do.

I'm planning on going out to the woods in the weekend to get some practice and see how hard it is to get into my sleeping bag. If it's really that annoying the DD top quilt seems very nice too.
    If your sleeping bag doesn't have a hood, it's easiest to lay it in the hammock and turn it with the zipper facing up. Open the zipper as far as possible. Sit down in the middle of the bag. Put your feet in the footbox and zip up. I only use a hoodless semi-rec sleeping bag, because in cold nights I need to be able to zip up to keep every last bit of warmth in the bag. When it's warm, you can simply use the sleeping bag like a top quilt.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    hutzelbein knows what they're talking about. Even in a -17 C bag, I was cold at 5 C without bottom insulation. A closed cell pad helps a lot but your shoulders will get cold unless you add extenders. I use my mummy sleeping bags like a top quilt: with the bag open I place one foot in the foot box while standing, sit in the hammock and swing my legs up. The hood can go over your face if needed and the pad or UQ takes care of the bottom.

Alright. Just to be clear here, we're talking about using either a pad or underblanket, not both right?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast