Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    I just endured insane lightning & thunderstorms and days of continouus rain last week at the Shawnee National Forest with my 12' Wilderness Logics Bullfrog tarp over my 11' Night Owl hammock. I was completely dry the entire time and it really reinforced the reason I got the 12' tarp. I do have the pole mod so that widened up things perfectly.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    >how is it that you can hang an 11' hammock in a space that won't accomodate a 12' tarp?

That was the question I was answering: A 12' tarp, if you want the ridge line taut, requires 12+ feet.
    And 11' hammock, because it is hung with a sag, only requires a little over 9' of span.

So you only need 9+ feet for the hammock but you need 12+ ft for the tarp.
    right, but you still need 11' (+ whatever stretch) space between trees for an 11' tarp. that's a total of 1 foot difference. this whole idea that you can use an 11' tarp in many more situations than a 12" is bunk. except in the exclusive example of the state park you mentioned, it's not a limitation in the real world...

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    It might just be the 5 of us, but we're having trouble understanding exactly what you're saying.

From my perspective, of course there are situations where you could hang an 11' hammock and 11' tarp, but not a 12' tarp. Duh.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    not in any way that's significant to choosing one over the other. duh...

choose the smaller 11' tarp for the weight... choose it for the price... choose it because your favorite maker doesn't off a 12'...

but to say that you regularly hang from trees too close together to use a 12' tarp but are able to do so with an 11'...

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 20* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    After using 12' exclusively for about a year, I can say that I don't like 12' ridgeline at all, and I am planning to make a new 11' Hex tarp. With 12' ridge line tarp, I was limited to where I can hang my tarp AND my hammock to be comfortable.

Sometime when I decide to setup my hammock up first because I like the place, then try to put up 12' tarp and it doesn't fit because it's too big, forcing me to move. Some places where I can get 12' tarp up, I have issue with hanging my hammock because it is too far and use up the webbing/suspension. And when it does fit, the trees are further apart, I have to hang my hammock higher up to get the right amount of sag. I camp/backpacking mostly with a group of people, so the shorter ridgeline makes it easier to hang in a group setting and not taking up a huge amount of space or try to find a the right spot to fit the whole setup in.

I never had the issue with rain/hanging in 10.5' grand trunk hammock with 10.5' ENO tarp, 11' dutch hammock with 10.5' eno tarp, so I don't see why I would have issue with 11' hammock in 11' tarp. The only reason why I have 12' tarp is because I bought a 12' tarp kit from Ripstop by the Roll, and decided to just cut and sew since it was my first DIY tarp.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    I'm interested in getting a 12' tarp for my bridge, but I have run into a number of scenarios where the best option in NE FL would only accommodate an 11 footer. The other challenge with a long, rectangular tarp is dodging brush while staking out the corners.

+1 on the 12 foot hammock! On the trail, a few extra inches on the tarp make a huge difference for me..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Secondmouse, I think I've discovered the "glitch". This tread was about an 11 ft tarp vs a 12 tarp. And surely the space difference between those two is very small. But you ask about an 11 ft HAMMOCK and a 12 ft TARP and those two have a much larger space difference. Maybe it was clear to others that you meant to say 11 ft tarp, but I just answered the question as stated.

I agree with you if you are talking just about tarps. I'm a large tarp advocate. I don't feel the extra wait is that much and when it is really raining, I want to be covered. Not only when I'm in the hammock, but also when I get out of it. But in my case, I'm talking about an 11 ft hammock vs minimalist diamond tarps. I do have two 13 ft'ers for my bridge hammocks.

Bigger is always better, especially if it is a rib eye steak. Just ask Phantom Grappler.
    I use a long tarp for most of my hanging, 13ft.4in., and it is overkill most of the time. When it is needed, it rocks. It was made to use on a particular stand, but has been great between the trees. I have a SuperFly, and another 11ft. tarp and like them all. My go-to is now the long sil-poly.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The bigger the tarp, the more is "implodes" in on itself. Even with silpoly, that extra foot adds enough material that it's just not going to stay as taut. I went back to a 11' after realizing there's a lot more to it than just an extra foot and a little weight.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    right, but you still need 11' (+ whatever stretch) space between trees for an 11' tarp. that's a total of 1 foot difference. this whole idea that you can use an 11' tarp in many more situations than a 12" is bunk. except in the exclusive example of the state park you mentioned, it's not a limitation in the real world...
    Definitely not bunk, and that's from real world experience. In fact, my last hang was with another tarp of mine, 11 footer with ends practically touching the tree on this particular hang. With my 12' Tox, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    The bigger the tarp, the more is "implodes" in on itself. Even with silpoly, that extra foot adds enough material that it's just not going to stay as taut. I went back to a 11' after realizing there's a lot more to it than just an extra foot and a little weight.
    This, however, is bunk. Sorry, just sayin'. Not for a cat cut hex anyway.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast