Hammock
    WBRR, Eno double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Winter Lynx

IS A SLEEPING BAG SUFFICIENT?

I have a WBRR- works wonderfully in three seasons. I haven't tried it in the winter yet though. My setup would be the RR, wrapped in my full-length Winter Lynx UQ, then wrapped in my WB Spindrift Sock. The only thing I have right now for top insulation is a 30* polyester fiber sleeping bag. The spindrift is said to keep wind out and stay 15* warmer inside. With a winter UQ, do any of you think that would be sufficient for weather touching zero? (It would be 15* inside plus the UQ). Should I invest in a TQ?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I think you're looking to get a little chilled, any time you roll around or change position. I run a 40/20 insulation kit, and once it gets below the rating for my 20 UQ, my back still stays toasty, but when I roll to one side, that part of my shoulder and back, knows it's under 40 degrees of insulation pretty quick, and I end up on my back again pretty quick. I'm not really getting cold as much as feeling the difference. I do sleep warm and you can further cheat temp ratings with heavier base layers, but I'd look for better top insulation down that low.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I agree with Rolloff, I think you would start to get cold without any additional gear to supplement the top side. I have used the spindrift quite a bit in cooler temps and 15° seems like a bit more than I would say you will realistically get in "added warmth" in reality you're not getting more warmth just slowing the rate at which your quilts get robbed of the heat they retain. It can certainly help but if a gust of wind comes up on a cold night you still feel it. Your tarp helps to block wind as does the spindrift but if 0° air is moving around it still feels like 0° air moving. I would consider adding hot water bottle, chem heat packs, fleece blanket or clothing or just getting a TQ rated to the temps you are wanting to camp in.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Invest in a downy goodness TQ rated for the lower temps you'll be in.
    Be careful with the sock as it can become a moisture trap and make snow inside and for a 15* rise in temp ...not a chance and in no way would I rely on any temp gains from a sock....invest in insulation first....being cold is no fun
    And TEST your setup in the cold before venturing away from a bail out point to understand its and your limitations
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    OP - I wouldn't go any lower than 20° in that set-up. I was using a semi-DIY 0° underquilt and 30° Kelty Synthetic sleeping bag for the longest time, and my feet would get pretty chilled when temps fell below 30°. That can be supplemented with extra socks, baselayers, jackets, but I believe around 20° you're going to hate life. NOTHING is worse that being wide awake and shivering in the woods and looking at your watch only to realize its 2:00am and you have another 4+ hours to sunrise. Nights like that are exactly why I just bought a HG TQ/UQ setup.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    It sounds like money could be tight for you ... have you thought about scoring one of the Costco $20 throws? Do a safety-pin gather of the 8 center-bottom rows as a quicky footbox and it'll add quite a few degrees used inside your poly sleeping bag. Ought to get you through a couple of winter hangs 'lessen the temp's waaaay down. Certainly to the point where your UQ will also be inadequate.
    After the cold season you have a good summer/light-weight TQ.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WBRR, Eno double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Winter Lynx
    Update: went up to Upper Michigan for Christmas and slept outside a couple nights. I used my whole setup plus another 40* sleeping bag as a blanket. Lowest it got to was about 13-15* with some windchill. I was warm .
    Sleeping bags did make it a bit cumbersome to move around (slippery fabrics) , and hard to get back in after writing my name in the snow. Overall it was a couple great nights though!
    Doctors should prescribe hammocks for stress relief

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCookiemonster125 View Post
    Update: went up to Upper Michigan for Christmas and slept outside a couple nights. I used my whole setup plus another 40* sleeping bag as a blanket. Lowest it got to was about 13-15* with some windchill. I was warm .
    Sleeping bags did make it a bit cumbersome to move around (slippery fabrics) , and hard to get back in after writing my name in the snow. Overall it was a couple great nights though!
    glad to hear it worked out for ya. always good to see good reports

• + New Posts