Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    Only have 4 people that sent me a pm on what they are bringing for food. If you are committed to the trip and plan on bringing a group meal, make sure you pm me with what you are bringing. Just want to make sure there will be enough....and I'm assuming there is a lb of bacon that is coming as well with whatever else your bringing. Lol

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Mark, it'll be a fun winter outing. I'm not worried about snow levels; it'll still be on the ground... Probably consistent with late February; icy and granulated. Actually, my only hope is temps stay below freezing during the hang to keep the dampness factor down. Hope to see you up there. Bring a pound of bacon with you.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Mark, it'll be a fun winter outing. I'm not worried about snow levels; it'll still be on the ground... Probably consistent with late February; icy and granulated. Actually, my only hope is temps stay below freezing during the hang to keep the dampness factor down. Hope to see you up there. Bring a pound of bacon with you.
    Yeah the map is saying close to 2' right now. A few warm days won't kill it all. I was hoping for some powder, but I can't complain since the temps are maxing out in mid 20s° in the forecast right now. Lows in the teens. Nice and comfortable winter weather.

I'm worried about having a place to park. I'd really like to stay at the TH. After driving 5 hours it would suck to be looking around for alternatives. But I think I'll just give it a shot. I'm more like 70/30 on this one now!

It's early and they'll change the forecast 20 times, but at least we're on the right track here. Weather channel adds about 5°. Looking good!

Last edited by OneClick; 02-14-2016 at 15:55.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm not too worried about the parking now. I realize these are not roads, but if the two-tracks are even somewhat passable to the north, I may go that route. Looks like several easy hikes from the upper cabin (red pin) to our cabin (blue at bottom). I just stole this map from somewhere else.

Last edited by OneClick; 02-14-2016 at 19:51.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    Here is the list of food and equipment that is being brought skin far.

MichiganDave - cornbread and sausage gravy (triple batch w/ sausage) ; jambalaya (like last year, double batch w/ andouille, ham and red peppers).

Dogger - 10 qt. pot of cabbage soup, 6 dozen bacon cupcakes

TwistingInTheWind- Oreo Balls, Trix Treats (think Rice Krispy but with Trix), Chocolate Dipped Bacon, and Bourbon Bacon Brittle

Turkey – French onion soup

Dirk - oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts, pumpkin muffins

Cncd11 – Mexican Posole

Donk_67 – Coffee
    Badwind7 - Deer chili, rice BBQ chicken pot diner, Beer bread, Deer jerky, pot mountain breakfast, foil wrapped pork roast

All have said that they will be bringing bear minimum 1lb of bacon.

As far as equipment we have 2 Dutch ovens that will be there , large cooking grate, large cast iron fry pan, 2 large stock pots,

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistingInTheWind View Post
    From what I can see so far we have:
    Donk_67: Coffee and Peculator
    AndrewB: Bacon and Baked Goods
    cncd11: Pasole pork butt
    Badwind7: Bacon, Venison Chili, BBQ Rice
    KG8JK: Muffins, Cajun bacon
    MichiganDave: Biscuits and gravy
    Squirrel bait: Venison Fajitas
    I had compiled a short list earlier (think page 4 or 5) and here was what it was at that point...
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Straps

Food

Will have my food list in the next day or so just kind of waiting to see what was on the list already to come up with something different.

Thunderarrows

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm not too worried about the parking now. I realize these are not roads, but if the two-tracks are even somewhat passable to the north, I may go that route. Looks like several easy hikes from the upper cabin (red pin) to our cabin (blue at bottom). I just stole this map from somewhere else.
    I tried to call the PR State Forest HQ to get some info on winter access to Honeylocust trail, but since it's Presidents Day, they are closed....I have a feeling it's snowed in since there are no houses on that stretch. A couple things: I think you'll be fine on access Thursday night or Friday morning to the main parking lot. When we were up there a couple weeks ago I observed the following: Hare Road ( west of GT, east of Pickeral Lake Road) is not plowed and snowed in ; Pickeral Lake Road-where we planned on driving all the way to the campground (2miles) was not plowed after .3 miles in (right after house on the left and at the utility pole line. You could park there (not sure on safety) and go due east along the utility line to Hare Rd, then north to work your way in. I did notice on google earth a long driveway to a house immediately north of Dudd Road (on the south) that puts you pretty close to access into GT. You could always pull in and see if they'd let you park. Note- any access from the Fontanalis Road side is blocked due to lack of bridges and it's not a river you'd want to attempt to cross in winter.

I will be in contact with the PRSF on other access options. Stay tuned!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Got the pulk finished and ready to go for this trip! I don't have time to add a rudder/rails so that will have to wait unfortunately. Took some ideas from michigandave (Thanks!)

IMG_2670.JPG
    Used a piece of pressure treated wood on the front to help spread the load.
    IMG_2671.JPG
    On the inside i would have preferred to work with aluminum but unfortunately i don't have the right tools to shape/cut it so i did the next best thing. I found a metal tool at home depot in the HVAC section. It is used to bend sheet metal duct work. I drilled two holes in it and ran some eye bolts through it.
    IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cncd11 View Post
    Here is the list of food and equipment that is being brought skin far.

MichiganDave - cornbread and sausage gravy (triple batch w/ sausage) ; jambalaya (like last year, double batch w/ andouille, ham and red peppers).

Dogger - 10 qt. pot of cabbage soup, 6 dozen bacon cupcakes

TwistingInTheWind- Oreo Balls, Trix Treats (think Rice Krispy but with Trix), Chocolate Dipped Bacon, and Bourbon Bacon Brittle

Turkey – French onion soup

Dirk - oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts, pumpkin muffins

Cncd11 – Mexican Posole

Donk_67 – Coffee
    Badwind7 - Deer chili, rice BBQ chicken pot diner, Beer bread, Deer jerky, pot mountain breakfast, foil wrapped pork roast

All have said that they will be bringing bear minimum 1lb of bacon.

As far as equipment we have 2 Dutch ovens that will be there , large cooking grate, large cast iron fry pan, 2 large stock pots,
    ThePantologist - has 2-3 dozen eggs coming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast