Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    A couple of questions: Will someone have a shovel for clearing the snow around our spots? What are the plans for "taking care of business"? Will there be a privy or should we plan on cat holes?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    A couple of questions: Will someone have a shovel for clearing the snow around our spots? What are the plans for "taking care of business"? Will there be a privy or should we plan on cat holes?
    A handful of folks will have shovels. Last year, the protocol was walk a distance into the woods and make individual cat holes to take care of business.

As well, last year I pulked in a full size steel shovel to handle fire work with.... I will attempt to bring one this year too, although I'm trying to avoid using a pulk this year.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    A handful of folks will have shovels. Last year, the protocol was walk a distance into the woods and make individual cat holes to take care of business.

As well, last year I pulked in a full size steel shovel to handle fire work with.... I will attempt to bring one this year too, although I'm trying to avoid using a pulk this year.
    Donk,

what is your reasoning behind not wanting to bring a pulk if you don't mind me asking? Assuming i'll be there, this will be my first time truly winter backpacking as well as using snow shoes etc. I've been trying to figure out a cheap solution for a pulk however just wondering if you thought there wasn't a reason to bring one.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    Donk,

what is your reasoning behind not wanting to bring a pulk if you don't mind me asking? Assuming i'll be there, this will be my first time truly winter backpacking as well as using snow shoes etc. I've been trying to figure out a cheap solution for a pulk however just wondering if you thought there wasn't a reason to bring one.
    I haven't dialed in my system yet. Need to get a sled with deeper sides and rig a pole/ belt system. Although the hike into Green Timbers is relatively gentle, my attempts at Hoist Lake have been disastrous. Michigan Dave revoked my pulk license. Lol.

"Unsafe at any speed". The words of Ralph Nader in reference to Dons' pulk.
    Now back to the topic at hand....
    Last edited by michigandave; 01-18-2016 at 20:24.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    I've been trying to figure out a cheap solution for a pulk however just wondering if you thought there wasn't a reason to bring one.
    I stole my kid's sled last year. I may do the same this year, maybe two as I will probably bring WAY too much gear. I have always been an over-packer. That and I have too many toys I want to play with.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I may be back on this trip! I went out last weekend and I'll tell you, the winter solo trips are really catching up on me. Just a mixture of too much solitude, boredom, etc. I may leave the winter camping to group hangs for that reason.

So, I'll keep an eye on this one!

Don, I won't be using a pulk either. I don't have any problem with them, but I'm just stubborn and want to have everything in one pack on my back when hiking. Just practice I guess; so I can get my winter backpacking kit down to a science and keep up the practice.

I have a nice shovel, but never took it once on a trip in 6 years. I just never saw a reason. Pack down snow around/under your hammock with snowshoes, or use them as a shovel. One less thing to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I may be back on this trip! I went out last weekend and I'll tell you, the winter solo trips are really catching up on me. Just a mixture of too much solitude, boredom, etc. I may leave the winter camping to group hangs for that reason.

So, I'll keep an eye on this one!

Don, I won't be using a pulk either. I don't have any problem with them, but I'm just stubborn and want to have everything in one pack on my back when hiking. Just practice I guess; so I can get my winter backpacking kit down to a science and keep up the practice.

I have a nice shovel, but never took it once on a trip in 6 years. I just never saw a reason. Pack down snow around/under your hammock with snowshoes, or use them as a shovel. One less thing to mess with.
    Glad to here it's on your radar again. I agree on solo winter trips. It gets dark mighty early and there's lots of camp chores like collecting wood where having a few extra hands makes it easier. I will be bringing my pulk due to some bulky cooking items and the 15-20 lbs of food. Snow shovel is also in my kit for the trip. Turkey (Ed) spent part of last weekend welding up a group size cooking grate for the firepit that will get alot of use.

Green Timbers is a big place and there is an abundance of hang spots nearby to set up where it's so secluded, nobody would ever know your there.

Last edited by michigandave; 01-19-2016 at 10:25.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    I stole my kid's sled last year. I may do the same this year, maybe two as I will probably bring WAY too much gear. I have always been an over-packer. That and I have too many toys I want to play with.
    Pulks are cheap and easy. I built one last year for less than $30. Look at last year's thread for this trip I think I have a few pics. All the stuff was bought at the local aco hardware including the sled.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Glad to here it's on your radar again. I agree on solo winter trips. It gets dark mighty early and there's lots of camp chores like collecting wood where having a few extra hands makes it easier. I will be bringing my pulk due to some bulky cooking items and the 15-20 lbs of food. Snow shovel is also in my kit for the trip. Turkey (Ed) spent part of last weekend welding up a group size cooking grate for the firepit that will get alot of use.

Green Timbers is a big place and there is an abundance of hang spots nearby to set up where it's so secluded, nobody would ever know your there.

That cooking grate will definitely come in handy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast