Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Well, it turns out that portion of the sturgeon is closed to fishing for the winter so we didn't end up going out to Green Timbers this weekend. I guess I couldn't talk my brother into walking four miles just to look at a fishing spot. We ended up going to the Jordan River. He did catch two browns so he was happy.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    If you decide to make the hang and bring the dutch oven, I'll drop a subtle hint for a repeat of that breakfast casserole that you whipped up back in November .
    Absolutely. This time I might remember to actually bring the marinated pork loin as well.

Badwind7

This sounds like alot of fun, I am new to hanging and want to try a cold snowy one. If I can swing it I will come on Thursday. I plan to bring bacon, deer chili and a BBQ rice dish that can be fixed in a dutch pot. Here's too seeing you'll!
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post

It's that time of year again to start planning our 2016 2nd annual Green Timbers Big Tree winter hang in the Pigeon River State Forest, located 7 miles west of Vanderbilt, MI. For those that attended last years hang, it was truly an adventure with records set for lowest temperatures (-26 and -13 overnight lows) and the amount of food consumed. The official date for this years event is Thursday, Feb. 25 through Sunday, Feb 28th. Most of us came in Friday, but people started showing up Thursday to secure the cabin for our group.

Our destination is the Green Timbers lower cabin in the Pigeon River State Forest. There are plans that it will be torn down, but it's still standing, so we'll be able to use it. The cabin provides shelter and a fireplace. There is also a large fire pit outside. That will be our base camp for the weekend. There are miles of trails to explore in the tract and another cabin with a great view located up the hill a mile or so. The river never freezes, so water is available. Lots of hanging spots are located nearby. FYI, you might want to bring some extra long tree straps, theres some big trees! The 2 mile hike in takes less than an hour on a 2-track and is mostly flat. Hopefully we’ll have snow, so pulks & snowshoes may be needed.

Last year's hang also set new records in the amount of food that was packed in and consumed. It was suggested at our November Gluttony hang that we have some type of meal every 1-2 hours and we plan to hold true to that, even if it's just a pound or two of bacon in the cast iron fying pan or dutch oven. Just a short list from last year menu: posada, jambalaya, pheasant/wild rice soup, hot apple cider, coffee, bacon steaks, venison, chili, etc....

Note, there will be no google signup for food. Post what you're bringing when you respond to the thread, but be prepared to feed a group. Last year we had 16 attend. As we get closer to the event, I'll be posting who's bringing what etc. so everyone will have a feel for what else may be needed.

Part of what made last year such a great success was the mix of people that came out. We had guys from HF and Bushcraft, since there is the overlap in the groups. Wood gathering is done as a group effort with guys cutting, hauling and processing, so an extra saw or ax or two (or 3) would help move things along. If you have any gear that may need a new home, bring it along for trading or sale.

Note: the parking lot did fill up since there were others back in the area that weekend. Carpool if you can. I spoke with the PRSF Unit Director and let him know our plans and mentioned the parking situations (do not park on the main road, only use the lot). He recommended that additional cars could be parked 1/2 mile east past the entrance in a circle located on the north side of the road. I also extended an invite to him to join us and see what we're all about.

Getting there: From I-75, depart at exit 290 and head south for Vanderbilt. In town turn east (left) on Sturgeon Valley Road and follow it for 7 miles. The main entry to Green Timbers is the stonegate trailhead (on north side of road) on Sturgeon Valley Road, reached just before crossing the Sturgeon River. Location details (thank you Jim DuFresne) http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/3/71/

Come on out and enjoy a weekend in the woods with some fellow Hangers and Bushcrafters. The price of admission is cheap: bring a pound a bacon and toss it in the pan!

More information about last years adventure: Link to 2015 trip report:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=green+timbers

link to 2015 photos: http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mic...g%20Feb%202015

Now that I have committed to this can anyone help me with a packing list, a lot of my stuff will be self made. What I have now is a 20* hammock/underquilt, 0* topquilt, home made 40* under quilt, an assortment of cold weather clothes and gear. If you can help me out with some suggestions on what to bring that would be great. I will be buying a pair of snowshoes, making a poke out of a plastic slead and I have my backpack. Let me know what other kinds of food to bring for group and what I should bring for myself. All my friends and wife think I'm nuts, but I love the cold winter and snow.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I wanted to make it this year, but unfortunately I'm out. I'll be in the woods the previous weekend (3-day weekend for President's day) so back to back with the family at home is a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Badwind7 View Post
    This sounds like alot of fun, I am new to hanging and want to try a cold snowy one. If I can swing it I will come on Thursday. I plan to bring bacon, deer chili and a BBQ rice dish that can be fixed in a dutch pot. Here's too seeing you'll!
    Wow, thanks for the generous food contribution. I know it won't go to waste and BBQ rice sounds great. Some people will be arriving on Thursday and I'm planning on night hiking in Thursday evening with a buddy. Lot's of great hanging spots too.

Now that I have committed to this can anyone help me with a packing list, a lot of my stuff will be self made. What I have now is a 20* hammock/underquilt, 0* topquilt, home made 40* under quilt, an assortment of cold weather clothes and gear. If you can help me out with some suggestions on what to bring that would be great. I will be buying a pair of snowshoes, making a poke out of a plastic slead and I have my backpack. Let me know what other kinds of food to bring for group and what I should bring for myself. All my friends and wife think I'm nuts, but I love the cold winter and snow.
    Sounds like you've got your gear covered pretty well. Make sure you've got warm boots and backup gloves. Also, there's a never ending campfire and synthetics don't do well around it, so wool is a big help! If you haven't hung in the cold, I can't recommend enough a gear test prior to the weekend. It's better to find out your comfort level in the backyard and not 2 miles (and a 45 minute hike) away in the woods from the car. Last years temps tested all of us with -26 below & -13 below thermometer readings. You might also want to supplement your topquilt with a sleeping bag, just in case. Another thing: if you're feeling cold or have any discomfort while you're at the hang, tell someone and we'll get you fixed up. There's many, many years of experience represented and everyone learns from each other. I'd bring some personal snacks along, plus whatever beverages you want. We do get water from the stream, but you might want to pack in water. Question: what type of weather protection do you plan on using?

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I wanted to make it this year, but unfortunately I'm out. I'll be in the woods the previous weekend (3-day weekend for President's day) so back to back with the family at home is a no go.
    Sorry to year you can't make it, but family is first!
    Last edited by michigandave; 01-12-2016 at 10:55.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    At badwind7,

I doubt it will get as cold as last year, it does sound like your pretty much squared away on you gear. I would still bring an extra wool blanket or sleeping bag for in the hammock just in case. And like Dave said. Spend a night out in your yard if possible to find your cold spots and make equipment adjustments there.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Wow! Are you really coming up from Kentucky?!
    If you are looking for a beautiful northern boreal forest winter adventure, you have found it! I'm really excited to have you up!

Don't worry how crazy people say you are... instead take it as a compliment!
    You will see and experience things which few people will get to see or do.

~Taken from the Pigeon River Association site:
    "Green Timbers, so named in 1942 by Don McLouth of McLouth Steel, was developed and used as a hunting and fishing resort. Prior to the McLouth ownership, the southeastern portion was used as a recreational retreat by Titus Glen Phillips, while the north portion was owned by Cornwall Lumber Company. The land was extensively logged, burned, and then grazed by both sheep and cattle prior to the 1958's when McLouth purchased the property. The logging, fire and heavy grazing are still evident to the observant eye."
    http://www.pigeonriver.org/green-timbers.html

Sounds like you are realistic about your expectations and have a handle on what you are getting into... Between your own preparations, research and the friendly people who will be around I'm sure you'll be fine.

Look for a PM incoming on my take on some of the equipment to succeed and enjoy your trip.
    I'm happy you are coming!
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    I've been coming up to this section of the world my whole life to visit my family, fish, hunt, hike, camp and now show my own children the forest...
    I'm also a Journeyman Welder over the last 20 years at a steel mill in Detroit, so the history of this section of the world is especially cool to me!

Here's a couple of links to explain:
    http://www.pigeonriver.org/green-timbers.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLouth_Steel

I am super excited to get back into that "Piney Woods" again!
    See you all there.
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have been working on my set up and am hoping to get out and test it soon so I will be ready. I have a down underquilt that I made and just tested a couple of 15 degree bags. They are Marmots, one left zip and one right, so they both will zip together. Just tested zipping them around my hammock over my underquilt and it worked great. There was plenty of room in the hammock for an extra overquilt so I should be good. Not sure if I will make it Friday evening but hoping for Saturday. Just thought I would mention the two bags zipped together for those who are new like me. Check out Shug's latest videos on his winter gear. He does something similar.

As far as food, my wife volunteered to make some muffins and there is a butcher in town that sells Cajun bacon. I have never tried it but it sure sounds good.

Dirk
    Last edited by kg8jk; 01-14-2016 at 06:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast