Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

This is my new combo sleep system using a CDT and a Chinese cheapo with a "waterproof" outer layer.
    I went the down and dirty route of using a sewn on draw-string channel across the bottom of each bag [after taking the zipper off of the Chinese one]. I made the one on the Chinese/outer bag wider to allow the down throw to loft little bit more around the foot box.
    I pulled all of the vertical quilt stitching out of the CDT to give horizontal channels.
    The Chinese bag has an insulating layer of "imitation silk", which appears to be pretty much the same thing as climashield. The interior is a microfiber cloth. I did some vertical quilt stitches just to assure that the insulation wouldn't shift and to be in opposition to the inner bag.

The orange exterior material does seem to be at least water resistant. I tossed a hand full of water on it, and it just beaded up and rolled off.
    I know people will have their concerns about the whole condensation/breathability issue. I don't care. I'm not a particularly sweaty sleeper, and I'm looking for the exterior bag to help shed the dew when I want to sleep without a tarp. Any condensation should be limited to the climashield layer.
    I know the CDT will keep me warm down into the 50s, if the exterior bag will keep the dew off and take me down into the 40s, then I end up with a excellent fairweather sleeping system for around 40 bucks. [the Chinese bag only ran 20 bucks shipped]. And, of course, I can use either bag separately on the really warm nights.
    It's certainly not as lightweight [39oz in a stuff sack] as the fancy, and pricey, UQs out there, but it's hard to beat the flexibility at the price.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Looks great flash . I don't think the condensation will be too much of an issue, since most water expelled by the body at night is through your breath. Looking forward to the reports from the field!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

The new combo seems to have been "requisitioned" while I made dinner....

bser~ I may try it in the Draumr out in the yard tonight. It's supposed to drop into the 40s overnight up here. Seems like that would be a fair test, and I can bail to my Thermopedic if I want.

And I forgot to put in the previous post that I will likely add a couple of snaps to each long edge to keep the layers together when it's doubled up. The footbox drawstrings can just get tied together.

Hammock
    Snugpack Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    theBlueStone Tarp
    Insulation
    Costco Down Throws
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Why did you put shiny side out? Was it for a specific reason? Wouldnt it be better to put the shiny side in for heat retention? (Not that it would be that major)

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathbuster View Post
    Why did you put shiny side out? Was it for a specific reason? Wouldnt it be better to put the shiny side in for heat retention? (Not that it would be that major)
    The nature of the footbox mod that I did renders that entirely moot... you can flip whichever side you want in or out at whim.
    I guess I just fluffed them out on the lawn without paying attention, but, yes, I DO use mine with the shiny side inwards just for S&G... gain has to be below measureable.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathbuster View Post
    the material they use has one side shiny and the other matte, so it makes no difference which side is in or out. it's not functional, it's just a fashion thing. you can see this is so by looking at the stuff sack that comes with it...

Hammock
    Trekk Lite, Enos Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY - Costco
    Suspension
    DIY- whoopie sling
    I decided I wanted use of the full length of the original throw so I decided I wanted to put a round end on the bottom and not loose any length sewing up the end. I also did not want all the extra material hanging down around my legs so I decided to put a good zig-zag stitch along the edge of the new size and then cut off the bottom portion.... defiantly wanted the top left on to cut the drafts tho.
    When I cut the piece off I was shocked how much down was trapped in the length wise seam I had not removed. But that gave me a new idea and I removed the seams and placed (what I could) of the down into plastic bags. Once I had my circles cut for the bottom I used the left over down in it. I did add just a little polyester fill to make sure it had plenty of loft.
    Now just need fall to get here to test it out.WP_20160708_23_02_37_Pro.jpgWP_20160708_23_02_45_Pro.jpgWP_20160709_00_37_57_Pro.jpgWP_20160709_00_38_33_Pro.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    That looks very nice. I like the taper. How much material did you end up removing?

Hammock
    Trekk Lite, Enos Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY - Costco
    Suspension
    DIY- whoopie sling
    Thanks, it was 15" from each side for a total of 30". Makes for a nice cross section under your butt to keep the foot box in place on your legs too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011