Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

“That Elf is holding out on us” and other tales from the Michigan Gluttony Hang Nov. 6-8, 2015

That pretty much sums it up for the 16 souls who braved the woods at the Pinney Bridge Campground in the Jordan River Valley. If I ended it there, then this would be one of the shortest trip reports I’ve written, so the story continues.

Donk67 says we pretty much experienced all four seasons for this hang. Squirrelbait spent the week out at the site deer hunting. Donk & Christo arrived Thursday and enjoyed temps in the 70’s. From there it was all downhill. Our temps dropped all the way down to 27 with rain, sleet, snow, sunny skies etc. We also heard a few trees falling in the middle of the night and a pack of coyotes howling. Most of the group arrived on Friday, but some came in Saturday and a Father/Son from Chelsea who hiked down on Saturday from Deadman’s Hill for the overnight loop mixed right in with everyone. The son had an camo setup that would make anyone proud to hang in…let us know how your hike turned out.

We had a good mix of HF members, hangers from the Bushcraft forum (including knife maker, Deering Knives), and two my ground dweller friends who fit right in. As per hanging tradition, everyone who shows up is always your new best friend within 5 minutes of their arrival.

Some highlights from this years Gluttony Hang:

Best quote: “That Elf is holding out on us”, as said by Gerard and directed at Dogger (with the homemade anorak) who realized that he had a batch of brownies his wife made still in his car. He also provided inspiration to us that yes, there is life after 60 on the trail.

Best camp tradition: Jeff Geer’s nightly passing out of the camp bread (cinnamon coffee cake and another flavor) made by his wife. As each person tore off a chunk, they had to say “Thank you, Bridgit”. I didn't get a picture of the cake because it was devoured before I could get the shot.

Coolest setup: Squirrelbaits hot house with stove that created interior temps of the 90’s (handy for one hanger having some cold issues at 3 AM) and one pair of burnt hiking shoes while drying on the stove. Note, this photo was taken during the new camp ritual called "The Burning of the Shoes". "Burning Man" doesn't have anything on us.

Coolest clothing: Let's just say green wool and anoraks (some handmade) were the "in" thing. I've got one to, but I was the one taking pictures this weekend.

And from the kitchen:

Bacon, bacon, and more bacon (nice job Bob and AndrewB for additional cooking duties), chicken noodle soup (with homemade noodles prepared by Mrs. Dogger), venison tips with fresh morels, CnaGnu’s redbeans and rice with kielbasa, bisquits and gravy, filet mignons on a stick, breakfast casserole, jambalaya with ham and sausage, coffee, hot chocolate with whipped cream, Mexican hot chocolate with expresso, various adult libations including homemade wine, venison chili, jalepeno spam on the grill, venison sausage, venison patties, venison jalepeno jerky….my memory is shaky still due to a food coma, but I know there was more. There was even a pork roast that was left home and a few pounds of pulled pork that was brought and we never even got to. The rule for the trip was a new course of food on the hour and I would say we stayed pretty true to it. I cemented my reputation as the designated food pusher. There were always 2 coffee pots in various stages of percolating manned tirelessly by Donk and Christo.

I have to admit my Jambalaya was pretty good, but I think I was outdone a bit, so my vote for best meal is a tie between Turkey’s fresh caught trout filets at 11 PM Friday night (from stream to table in under 15 minutes) and Doe’s chicken and fried rice prepared in his giant wok over the fire, complete with his brand of humor.

All in all, it was a great weekend with everyone helping out on camp duties like dog carrying (Donks), bulk firewood gathering, cooking and keeping the camp running smooth. We all learned something from one another and got to hear great stories of everyone’s life experiences. When we all had to pack up and head home on Sunday, the weather was clear and sunny. Typical Michigan weather…

So, that’s my version of the story...I’m putting the call out to the surviving members of the Fellowship on the Gluttons to help fill in some of the holes in my memory that I can only attribute to an overindulgence of caloric intake.

FYI, we’ll be convening again the weekend of February 26-28, 2016 at Green Timbers for the 2nd Annual Big Tree Hang (announcement coming in December). And, we will be returning to Pinney Bridge next year for a reunion of the Gluttons. Thank you to all of those who attended and helped make this years event a success.

Here's the link to the full album:
    http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mic...luttony%20Hang

Last edited by michigandave; 11-11-2015 at 19:54.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images

“That Elf is holding out on us” and other tales from the Michigan Gluttony Ha...

I can still smell BACON. I think it is seeping from my body.
    Last edited by Squirrel bait; 11-09-2015 at 11:08.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

“That Elf is holding out on us” and other tales from the Michigan Gluttony Ha...

I think I bruised my gallbladder.

Word from Jack; he greatly appreciated all those willing to be shed on for the warm laps they provided.

Learned when the Gales of November come calling, those light weight wire stakes won't hold a 12' tarp....an interesting wake up call at 7 in the morning.
    Last edited by Donk_67; 11-09-2015 at 17:49.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Fun to use `em all
    Nice pictures. That looks like the perfect camp ground for a group hang!

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    I don't think I've ever spent 3 days in the woods and come out weighing more than when I started. It will be on the "must attend" list for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel bait View Post
    I can still smell BACON. I think it is seeping from my body.
    Agreed....my gear smelled like bacon when I unpacked last night. BTW, someone might want to call the DNR about an emergency pumpout for both outhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    I think I bruised my gallbladder.
    Ouch! Hope you can recover in time for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrow76 View Post
    Nice pictures. That looks like the perfect camp ground for a group hang!
    It was perfect indeed! The neighboring campers were jealous, even though we invited them to join us for the Feast of Gluttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Christo456 View Post
    I don't think I've ever spent 3 days in the woods and come out weighing more than when I started. It will be on the "must attend" list for next year.
    It's almost winter, so carrying a few more pounds won't hurt. As for next year, I concur 100 percent, but I'm giving fair warning that there will be no google spreadsheet. I like not knowing what the next meal or snack is until it magically appears.

I did forget one thing...Dogger, being the lucky retired dog that he is didn't get enough of a camping fix, so from our hang, he was heading up to Green Timbers to recover for a few days . A big thank you to everyone who showed up and enjoyed some R & R time in the woods!

Hammock
    DIY 11' 2.2, DH Darien
    Tarp
    DD, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Hey Gluttons,

I just wanted to thank everyone at camp. Mikey and I had a great time. How great is it to come off the trail after a 5+ hour, 10 mile hike in 40 degree weather with it sleeting and raining most of the way and have a feast waiting for us. That was awesome! In fact the entire time at camp was awesome. The hospitality, comradery and hijinks really made the trip great! It made our first overnight hike really special and the memories will last a lifetime.

Thanks to all. Can’t wait until next year.

Chris

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    cheap tent tarp
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    wow looks like ya'll had a great time.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 2.2, DH Darien
    Tarp
    DD, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    20151108_110909.jpg

Notice Mikey is wearing his crocs in this picture. He did the 9 mile return trip to Deadman's Hill in those. (see burnt hiking shoe incident above. :-) )

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    This thread is making me hungry, looks like it was a good time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast