Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded

Adding extra tie-outs: are 4 in the middle a bad idea?

Addendum: my apologies for the omission, I’m a grounder, but you folks know your UL tarps. I usually plan my sites so I can be out in the open with a good view. It's all about the tarp: what leaks, what keeps it suspended what is useless extras, and how to make it work with a minimalist attitude, which I do not have and aspire to. If I ever decide to try hanging I’ll rethink my whole setup.

Here’s a rough sketch of the 10 x 10 square silnylon that I plan on ordering. The tie-out that I am considering asking for are 4 labeled extra in the middle. The reason for these is to get a diagonal ridge line supported. I still don’t understand completely whether I can run the ridgeline underneath the tarp with a drip line or if I really do need the tarp, suspended from the ridgeline.

The tarp comes standard with 16 perimeter tie-outs and 3 down the middle to fold it over like a typical A-frame.

Disadvantages? Extra weight? Extra cost? More chance of leaks? There is a distinct possibility that I will be out and in the morning wake up with snow on the ground or ice from freezing rain. Seems extra support would be an advantage. But what do I know... :-)

0DB98C5B-6B0A-4E80-BED2-410066A6BB45.jpeg
    Last edited by GeneH; 07-04-2019 at 10:34.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I can't see it being a bad idea. Those extra tie outs would be good for A frame as they will pull out the sides and give you more room under the tarp. Extra support from an above the tarp diagonal ridgeline is probably a good thing as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    A 10' square is going to be a big compromise on coverage from any way it get's rigged up. You're going to go from the ends of the hammock being real close to the ends and then onto your head and feet being not well covered when you pitch it corner to corner. I would go asym-style if you must use that square, gets a little more coverage end to end but makes it directional to your lay like an asym though it does give a little extra flap of coverage on either side of the ridge line opposite how you pitch for which side your head goes on. Or I could just be talking from the wrong end and you're onto something good.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If weight is no object, party on Garth!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    A 10' square is going to be a big compromise on coverage from any way it get's rigged up... Or I could just be talking from the wrong end and you're onto something good.
    No, you’re not talking out of the wrong end. I’m grounded, not hanging, if that makes any difference. Maybe I’m way over thinking it. My plan is for it as a luxury item usually, and a multi day trip I’ll have my UL 1P tent. My 9x9 plastic tarp is just big enough in s plow point config.

But I keep reading about sagging silnylon, and have experienced tents sagging really bad with a little snow.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Images
    If you'd use those 4 intermediate loops only as occasional tieouts, you might consider getting 2 pairs of these instead. Just mentioning them as a different option to consider in case you weren't aware of the product.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/cl...arp-pull-outs/

Same can be done by putting a small smooth stone inside the tarp and capturing it in a slipknot using the tieout cord on the outside of the tarp.

Images
    Then I stand corrected and admit to knowing nothing, tents have never been my thing and a few bad experiences have made me never want to try them again. I hear snow can be "sticky", just spitballing here now but I think the extra pull outs would be a good idea and just give the tarp a tap here and there to get the snow unstuck before it gets too heavy. Thankfully I'll never have to deal with it, saw real snow once in my life and that was more than enough.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    Then I stand corrected and admit to knowing nothing,.....
    Sgt Schultz Pin.JPG

...says the man who had the inside of everything...

LOL.

It's all about the tarp: what leaks, what keeps it suspended what is useless extras, and how to make it work with a minimalist attitude, which I do not have and aspire to.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If you'd use those 4 intermediate loops only as occasional tieouts, you might consider getting 2 pairs of these instead. Just mentioning them as a different option to consider in case you weren't aware of the product.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/cl...arp-pull-outs/
    Same can be done by putting a small smooth stone inside the tarp and capturing it in a slipknot using the tieout cord on the outside of the tarp.
    Those clips are just what I need on my tent which is short 2 tie outs that would help in a cross wind. I did not know these existed, though I've been on Dutch's site plenty of times.

Most of the time I expect to use a diagonal setup - plowpoint - so 2 of the 4 extra's will be used. I'm considering 4 for "symmetry." My gear has to have symmetry. It's a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    Those clips are just what I need on my tent which is short 2 tie outs that would help in a cross wind. I did not know these existed, though I've been on Dutch's site plenty of times.

Most of the time I expect to use a diagonal setup - plowpoint - so 2 of the 4 extra's will be used. I'm considering 4 for "symmetry." My gear has to have symmetry. It's a thing.
    If you're using these clips, it can be symmetric without needing four of them, since you can just move them to whichever two points you need.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast