Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Sound's like things are progressing nicely in dialing it all in. A couple things: for winter trips, I always shovel out all of the snow under my tarp and hammock to get down to bare ground. For me, the ground just seems warmer than having the snow below. 2nd: pillow can help, but it's easy to dislodge, so I use an extra fleece pullover or down puffy wadded up where I need to fill in the gaps.

Do you have a destination locked in your outing this year? There's a couple Michigan winter hangs coming up (Green Timbers hike in with link in my signature) and Ludington State Park car camping, where you can see lots of setups and hang out for the weekend.

Huron-Manistee National Forest by Mesick MI. Specifically the Manistee River Trail. We will hike in a couple of miles and then stay for two nights at the same location.

I do have a ridgeline. Its 100" for my 122" hammock. 82%. I like it. But the pillow does make it more comfortable.

Thanks for all the continued help and support!!!!

Trip is almost here... end of Feb!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    yes, for me if I have my hang just off, I get the calf ridge issue...particularly I get it if my hang angle is a bit too shallow and my ridgeline is far too tight...just my personal limited experience so far...I use the 83% rule...my 11 foot hammock I use about 110 inch ridgeline, but ive noticed that slight differences in how tight or loose the ridgeline is spells changes in comfort...

I too last year started out hanging indoors in climate controlled conditions...in 70 degrees, I would just lay on a light blanket and drape a blanket over me.

As far as things popping out when you get up...that is why I love love having a hammock with integrated bug net...keeps everything in nice....some of the hammocks include a "knotty mod" that helps this issue too....I want one of those myself.

At first I hated the notion of getting up and peeing....but, that changed....once I got my system dialed in and was confident of how warm it keeps me and comfort and such....I enjoyed getting up (usually for me its around 4am) to pee, then crawl back in the warm downy goodness and fall back asleep.

I think at first for me, sleeping in a hammock was more a psychological thing, as I was a stomach and side sleeper...at first I was like "well, ok, I am laying here, I am comfortable, but not sure I will sleep"...but it happened, I sort of sleep 1/2 on my back flat and 1/2 sort of cocked a bit toward my left side.

Best of luck!

Update:

Trip is next weekend. Wish it was this weekend due to the cold spell Michigan just got. Next weekend it will be warming again...

Sleeping many nights in my bedroom was the key to dialing in everything... I think I am good to go. Not enough outside testing but had a cold the last two weeks and ensuring I get better before the trip...

IMG_1831.jpg

Couple of more tidbits of info:

1. Added silicone dots to the underside of my inflatable pad. I don't really think it did anything to help it not slide..

IMG_1855.jpg

2. Made a SPE. Works pretty good. I see why people don't like pads.

IMG_1857.jpg

Final Configuration?
    Hammock and suspension $40
    Ridgeline and continuous loops $13
    Homemade snake skins for hammock and tarp $2
    Homemade sock of lightweight nylon $6
    Snugpak Underquilt- (ends attached to the suspension, sides attached to the ridgeline) $37
    Inflatable pad with homemade SPE (pad all ready own, SPE $7)
    0deg synthetic sleeping bag (all ready own, but $60 new)
    Pillow with tether (all ready own)

9x9ft tarp ($30) - Added more tie downs.
    12" plastic stakes from Harbor Freight for snow - $3
    Mini carabiners from China- $2

$140 or so....

A quick note: When I slept outside in my 0 deg sleeping bag, it was nearly impossible to get the sleeping bag zipped up. Arms were cramping trying to get it all settled right. Inside, I used a sleeping bag like a top quilt, and it was so much nicer. So, I get it....

Also, I am considering dumping the pad all together.

Thinking about buying the harbor freight 80% wool blanket for $10 and then cutting it to match the size of my Snugpak underquilt. I would then use plastic snaps to secure it to the inside of the underquilt.

Thinking that adding 2.5 lbs of insulation to the underquilt in the form of wool, may be enough.

Temps down to 20deg F or so...

Temp 5 degF. Feels like -10.

0 deg mummy. Small hole left to breath through.

Snugpak under blanket
    Homemade wool under blanket

Nylon sock

Long Jons and hat

Hot water bottle (nalgene)

1am pee. Found my breathing hole soaked. And pulled back the sock to snow.
    Had to bail at 3:30am. My topside was cold. Sleeping bag limit.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    This should be a sticky, and all "Will I be warm enough?" Questions should automatically redirect

Great job with your testing. Seems like you're well on your way to enjoying hammock camping. One thought for your top insulation, you can double up bags just like stacking underquilts. Add a summer weight bag, or even a fleece blanket, to your 0 degree bag, and you'll see some benefit. More testing though!

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ballpark View Post
    Temp 5 degF. Feels like -10.

1am pee. Found my breathing hole soaked. And pulled back the sock to snow.
    Had to bail at 3:30am. My topside was cold. Sleeping bag limit.
    You could just put your jacket on top of your quilt, eat a chocolate bar, drink some of your saved water and keep on sleeping. But there's always another season as Red Sox fans used to say.

So my camping trip was supposed to be this weekend, but some things changed, and we are going from a backpacking trip, to a car camping trip next weekend.

So, I want to try another experiment:
    This is my 'bring as little as possible' idea considering I have electricity.

Hammock, sock, tarp (trying figure 9's)
    with a 20 deg sleeping bag top quilt (much smaller than my zero degree)
    Snugpack underblanket

AND - and electric blanket under quilt.

Call it wimping out, but I just want to try it out..

Weather tonight is calling for a low of 30 degrees and 25mph wind.

I just put four holes in the blanket and tied shock cord.IMG_1936.jpgIMG_1937.jpgIMG_1940.jpgIMG_1942.jpgIMG_1944.jpgIMG_1945.jpg

So, great sleep last night.

Ended up wearing wool socks, fleece pants and a long sleeve shirt and hat.

Turned on the blanket and snuggled in... lowest setting.

So, the blanket turns off automatically after a few hours... I didn't turn it back on and I slept great. I think I would have been fine without it.

Temp started out at 30 and ended up at 36 F.

Its really, so much more comfortable not being in a mummy bag. Slept from 10pm to 7am.

So much warmer at 30 degrees than 5!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234