Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    For my luxury set up, I use LineLoc 3s and Glowire. The RL tie outs have a pack hook girth hitched onto the end, which just functions like dutch hook. (side note, I need to look at a different system, as I have noted that the plastic pack hook shows signs of failure after only about 7 nights of use). The ground tie outs are just the Lineloc3s. I haven't noticed the need for using tensioners on my silny tarp yet. I typically use MSR ground hogs.

For my lightweight set up, I just use knots. 1.25mm ZLine everywhere(15' RL, 9' corners), using either the trucker's or McCarthy hitch. I use the Ruta Locura 6" stakes, which are now sold by Zpacks. I modified these stakes by drilling a very small hole right under the head so I could pass a bright line thru for easy removal, and so I don't lose them.

In both set ups, I use a trekking pole mod for the panel pulls (short piece of 3/32 shock cord on a prussik to attach to tip/handle at each pull-out). I also typically carry an extra 15' section of cord, glowire for luxury and ZLine for lightweight, to use for one side of the panel pulls.

Hammock
    DIY DL GE 1.1 2nds
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I haven't built my tarp yet so I don't know if this works. It will be a silpoly winter tarp. Silkworms with Zing-it for the corners; 9' tie out's on front side to setup as a porch, 4' on the backside. Continuous Ridgeline with a dutchhook on one side and a fleaz on the other. MSR Groundhog stakes. I haven't figured out the doors, but it will be a piece of shockcord with a clip or hook of some kind. Side pullouts will be a ~10' shockcord attached between the 2 pullouts and a 6' dogbone to stake it to the ground over a hiking pole. I can detach one end and cilp to the other pull out and it will store nicely when not in use.
    I like the idea of everything being attached to the tarp so that it can't get lost or forgotten.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I use zing-it attached to the d-rings with a larks-head. I marlin spike that on to Y-stakes. I use glow-wire for pull-outs. It works, but have been looking into alternatives. Mainly ones that leave the line attached to the stake.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I recently switched out my whole setup. Previously, I used Lash-it 8' sections on all four corners of my mambajamba. I changed them all out for glowire on hookworms. The hookworms hook into shock cord permanently tied to the loops on the tarp. It leaves me a lot more swapability with tarps. The glowire is in two 8' lengths and two 4' length. Like everyone else, it gives me the flexibility of going porch mode. My stakes has always been a 50/50 mix of y stakes and Ti shepherd hooks. Soon here, I'm going to swapping out the Y stakes for some of AHE's V stakes. Side pull-outs do not have any guy lines. I use an external tent pole mod when I want to go to mansion mode..assuming I feel like bringing them along (they're an extra 57g! )
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Quilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Shock cord from hammock and tarp pullouts attached to Dutchware Tarpworms. Lawson Glow Wire from Dutchware Titanium Hook Stakes to Dutchware Tarpworms.

I'm using the yellow lawson glowire (free shipping on orders). I like the stiffness of it and it helps keep it from tangling. My tarps (all simply light designs) have line locks which make it super easy to adjust. For stakes, I'm using msr groundhogs and the toaks titanium v-stakes.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I use Dutch's grey Lash-It continuous ridgeline with a Dutch hook at one end, wasp at the other, and two soft shackles to secure the tarp D-rings to the ridgeline. Sure makes it easy to center the tarp. It also makes it easier for me to set up the tarp in windy conditions. The ridgeline is up and I'm only fighting with the windblown tarp.
    I have fleas threaded on shock cord loops on the four corners of the tarp. I also have florescent orange Spectra Dynaglide lines secured to my V-shaped tent pegs - 2-4' lengths and 2-6' lengths.
    I also have shock cord loops on the four bottom corners of my Grizz Beak, and a mini (hammockforums.net, of course) carabiner on the top loop that I attach to the tarp ridgeline D-ring.
    This is, for me, the easiest, least stressful and quickest way I've found to set up my tarp.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin
    Dutch hook on continuous ridgeline and then for tie outs i used y stakes and zing it. Installed a prusik on each length of zing it so i just thread the loop over the stake and pull the line tight thru the prusik.easy to tension tarp.

For guy lines I have self-tensioning lines I made with 1/8" shock cord and mason's line (was a prototype, but they worked so well, I never rebuilt them with any other cord). Bowline in one end that I girth hitch to the D-rings on my Warbonnet Edge tarp. The other end is just plain. I tie it around my aluminum Y-stakes (mostly MSR groundhogs) with a tautline hitch. It's totally set-and-forget. The shock cord keeps it tight all night long.

For the ridgeline, I have a continuous ridgeline of ZingIt. One end has a Dutch Stingerz and the other has a Dutch Hook. I use the method Derek Hansen shows in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLupiOygs0s

I used to just use mason's line or something similar tied to each end of the tarp ridgeline then would go around the tree, back to the ring and tie a tautline hitch to tension it. Worked pretty well. Can you tell I love a tautline hitch?
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I have Prussics on each "stake" loop tied around 5 ft of lash-it. I got rid of stakes a while back. Now when i need more tension, I have options. I can move the entire rock or limb its tied to or if its night and or raining i adjust the prussics from under the tarp.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast