Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michigan’s UP: NCT NB- Trout Pond to Naomikong Trailhead on Whitefish Bay Sept 24-27, 2015

First of all, it’s picture heavy, so be forewarned. This is the report from our 36 mile, 4 day, 3 night trip on the NCT, September 24th to 27th. Background on the NCT: https://northcountrytrail.org/ . Also, the Hiawatha Shore-to-Shore Chapter ( http://www.northcountrytrail.org/hss/ ) are the keepers of this trail section and they’ve done a great job maintaining the trails and adding boardwalks and trail signage. Our weather was actually a little warm, with temps in the mid 70’s during the day and night time lows in the 50’s. For a late September hike in the UP, this was a bit out of the ordinary, but it was nice and we had no rain at all. Donk_67 also had some intel about the current bear and wolf activity. We saw many signs of each throughout our 4 day trip.

So, without further ado, on Thursday morning, five of us from HF headed to the wilds of Michigan’s UP for a new adventure on the NCT. Turkey, leaving from Gaylord around 6:30 AM picked up Donk_67 and son Thomas in Petoskey. Meanwhile, I (Michigandave) left my house around 3:00 AM and made the trek north on I-75 to Gaylord to meet up with Squirrelbait. A quick stop for more coffee and it was a dash to the Mackinac Bridge and the southern shore of Lake Superior’s Whitefish Bay to meet and leave a car at the NCT trailhead 5 miles west of Naomikong Trailhead. We all piled back into one car and headed down Trout Lake Township Park, where Lost Woodsman from Indiana, and new HF member, was spending the week, graciously volunteered a spot to leave a car and shuttle us over to the Trout Pond Trailhead. Little did we know how fortunate it was having someone to call when we needed some assistance two days later.

Day 1: Thursday, H40/Trout Brook Pond Trailhead to Lone Pine Road off trail site, 13.7 miles

We were on the trail heading north around 10:30, skirted Trout Pond and ended up south for some odd reason. A quick look at the map and trail signage got us back on track and headed north. Most of the day was just a typical walk in the woods, with a few ups and downs, some clearcut areas, heavy brush here and there and logging clearcuts. We did have a few road walks down some two tracks , but the trail was relatively easy to follow.

Being the first day out, we probably did take some overly long breaks, but what the heck, we we’re on vacation.

I was also lucky to have brought a pound of the best venison jerky I’ve ever had, so that kept our spirits up.

Our plan was to stop at Lone Pine Road and camp there for the night. At around 6, we arrived at our destination, found the river (worst water we’ve ever had to pump from and so bad I didn’t even bother to take a photo) then backtracked into a stand of big pines to settle in for the night.

Day 2: Friday, Lone Pine Road to Soldier Lake SF CG, 10.1 miles

Everyone was up and around about 7:30 or so, had breakfast, broke down camp and we hit the trail by 9:30, heading toward Soldier Lake CG. Thomas thought he’d try out his grouse hunting skills with his trekking pole. No luck, but he tried hard.

Terrain and trail conditions were the same, but now we were hitting what we call the Savana…All I could think of was the Lion King song as we trudged down the trail. I also broke out my new found trail food favorite, the pepper jack Moon Cheese (available at REI).

It was a good hike and by 3:30, we took the 2 track detour and arrived at Soldier Lake SF Campground. We found a nice spot across from the lake, close to the restroom and right across from the water faucet.

With camp set up and everyone in relax mode, I texted Lost Woodsman and he drove up with a cooler of trail magic and spent the evening with us. I broke out the “recipe” and it was well received by all. The trail had been tough on Squirrelbait's feet, so he worked it out with Lost Woodsman to come back up in the morning and shuttle him up to his vehicle. Then he would drive to Naomikong Overlook and meet up with us Saturday night to camp off-trail…At least that was our plan, but more on that later. Turkey decided to keep join him, but I think it was just because he wanted first choice on the best hang spot.

Day 3: Saturday, Soldier Lake to Naomikong Overlook Trailhead 12.2 miles

Leaving part of crew awaiting the shuttle, we watered up and Donk_67, Thomas and I got on the trail around 9:30. Crossing M-28, we went through more old clearcuts and those long hot sections with no shade that reminded me of the Lion King.

The majority of the trail was good condition, probably because of the light use that the NCT gets. In fact, we saw no other backpackers during the entire trip. From what we could tell on the maps, we’d have some elevation gain, but it wasn’t too bad and for the most part, was pretty gradual.

With a few miles to go, we took short break and got in contact with Squirrelbait. He & Turkey did some recon work after picking up his truck at the trailhead. They went to where we wanted to camp (on the shore at Naomikong) and found “No Camping” signs .

Being ever resourceful, they found Bay View SF Campground 6 miles east in Brimley and picked a rustic site for our crew along the shore of Lake Superior. Now that we had a new plan, Thomas took off and beat us to the truck by about 30 minutes. Note, it did get pretty warm during the day and having the extra water was a good plan. There were no water sources along the trail until we got to the lake south Curley Lewis Road at the Naomikong Overlook. We arrived at the road crossing and jumped into the truck for the ride to the campground.

We got camp all set up and settled in for our last night out in the woods. We even hit Lake Superior for a swim. It was cold but felt great! Later on, we checked out the sunset.

Day 4
    The next morning, we packed up, drove west to Naomikong Overlook and hiked down the NCT to see the shore of Lake Superior. Even if camping was legal, we couldn’t have done it. Thick brush, lowlands and flying insects would have made it just about impossible.

Next stop was Trout Lake Campground to get the other car, then head to the Buckhorn Taven in Trout Lake for Buckhorn Burgers and an endless supply of cold cokes.

It was a perfect end to a perfect trip. I really have to give a big thank you to Lost Woodsman for helping us out when we needed it. I know there's more to the story, so I'm hoping for some insight from the rest of the crew. See you on the trail!

Link to full album:
    http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mic...20to%209-27-15
    Last edited by michigandave; 09-28-2015 at 20:58.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fantastic report Dave! Great pictures. I'm so glad I got to meet you guys and be a little part of the story. Hopefully we'll meet up again soon. And yeah, the "recipe" was goooooooooooooooooooooooood! Lol!

Oh, and next time you're in Trout Lake, be sure to try the burgers at the Trout Lake Tavern (be forewarned, they only take cash, no cards). No doubt their mushroom & swiss burger is my favorite burger of all time. Having said that, I haven't eaten at the Buckhorn yet. I've heard it's good food as well and those burgers look good too! I'll be those Cokes sure tasted good after a few days on the trail.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Hennessy SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Looks like a great time was had by all! Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Great report and photos!! I was just up north last week and stopped for lunch at the Buckhorn in Trout Lake.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Come on Dave, tell us the truth. Anyone use the outhouse at the Pine River Campground? Lol

-Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter

[QUOTE=Lost Woodsman;1522298]Come on Dave, tell us the truth. Anyone use the outhouse at the Pine River Campground? Lol

Honestly, we weren't quite sure if it was a real outhouse or not, plus nobody was brave enough to enter

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Honestly, we weren't quite sure if it was a real outhouse or not, plus nobody was brave enough to enter
    Good point. I've been by it several times and I haven't opened it yet either. Ew.
    -Jameson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll add my 2 cents to this report and a few more photos:

This was the continuation of my planned hike from May after I cut it short due to ferocious black flies and a self imposed killer road walk (15 miles!). Trout Brook Pond would be a great place to camp...but it was our start point, so maybe in the future I'll sneek up there to hang. It was great to have friends joining my son and me on this hike; except for a short juant in the Pigeon River Forest area with Squirrelbait in June, I had never hiked with these guys before. It's safe to say, I'd hike with them again.

Hats off to Michigan Dave for bringing along the awesome jerky (which didn't last long enough), a mobile coffee shop he graciously shared with us, and the "recipe" which flowed across the lips and down the gullet like some kind of magical ambrosia.
    12036509_10153023511847237_7029615662682200115_n.jpg

Turkey sets his hammock up faster than I could ever hope to setup my own system.
    12036731_10153023518632237_5442853079530823610_n.jpg

The Hiawatha shore to shore section of the NCT is a relatively easy hiking trail that is under-utilized; if you're looking for solitude, this is a great section to hike.
    12079537_10153023519317237_5210164278561239953_n.jpg

Soldier Lake NFCG is a nice place to hang in September with, surprise, a sandy bottom which felt nice to soak my tired feet in.
    12046947_10153023518862237_2207859900249951698_n.jpg
    12088293_10153023518977237_1433129011368916520_n.jpg

Turkey and Squirrelbait picked an awesome "Plan B" for us.
    12027688_10153023513452237_8732312754832536548_n.jpg
    12019919_10153023512482237_6971831529808106402_n.jpg
    12049265_10153023511982237_1816752843018885820_n.jpg Sunrise!
    https://youtu.be/1tpgwpvh78k
    Superior gently lulling us to sleep on the last night

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice pics and addition to the story Donk_67! Really like that video of the sunset. I might have to find a way to hang my hammock in the living room and play that video on the big screen. Lol
    -Jameson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    Nice pics and addition to the story Donk_67! Really like that video of the sunset. I might have to find a way to hang my hammock in the living room and play that video on the big screen. Lol
    I'm thinking I should make a soundtrack of beach sounds to help get me through the winter. Lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast