Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I was in a bind earlier this summer and needed a third hammock tarp in 72 hours. I hated to spend the money on a second ENO ProFly (in stock here at a local store) when I would have much rather had a second WB SuperFly instead...but I doubted there was any way I could get hold of a SuperFly in time. Happily, I was wrong! The person at WarBonnet answered my e-mail inquiry immediately and gave me a phone number I could call. I paid for overnight shipping and had my SuperFly the next day! That's FAST!

I REALLY, REALLY like the SuperFly tarp from Warbonnet. It's light and provides excellent coverage and is very versatile.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Good, cheap, and fast...pick two. It looks like you're in a big time crunch and that's going to force kind of a decision in the blind which rarely turns out well. Also, it sounds like even once you get all these goodies you won't have any time to figure out how to use them. If you've already got a TENT system that works, take it on your trip this last time. When you get back, do your research, buy some equipment, then spend a little time figuring out how to use it.

Just my $.02....

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    ^ I don't think you'll find any better advice than that. There is a learning curve involved with hammock/tarp setup. From your admitted lack of skills, I'd say stick with what you do know for this trip.

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    I'd probably also plan on sleeping in the tent, but take along your hammock to get some experience setting it up and to relax in at camp. It won't take up much pack space and doesn't weigh much. Then you'll have time to research everything you'll need for hammock camping(more than a hammock and tarp). You found a great forum for that.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBarovick View Post
    So how does this shopping cart sound;
    1) Dutch CRL with the wasp
    2) Four titanium stakes(? How many stakes do I need)
    3) Cordage for the stakes?
    4) of course the tarp lol
    Considering your hammock choice, I'm guessing you want a nice tarp and things to go with it. Toward that end, I see you're leading ti stakes. So,... my guess is you want a tarp that's probably a step up from ENO and HH, not that they aren't just right for some folks.

If you're doing the CRL, you need to decide between one that has tarp tensioners and one that doesn't. I'm assuming the one you named is "with." One without is often done with a Stingerz and a Ridge Line Biner.

Stringing up the tarp without a CRL (a lot of folks go this route) could be the first option I mentioned: two Stingerz, each spliced to a cord OR you could use either Flyz or Fleaz which would have the two cords (Zing It or Lash It) tethered to the tarp ends with a larkshead.

If you get a hex tarp, you'll need 4 stakes. I like having a spare. Some use none at all. If you get a tarp with doors, you might want a couple more(?)

I think bringing a tent and "practicing" with the hammock makes a lot of sense. Nice to have a back-up plan.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-30-2015 at 18:08.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter 12'
    Insulation
    PappyAmos Special
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spiders
    Will,
    My take on the quick, and oh so dirty. Walmart. It sounds like you have the tarp thing under control, so get you some para cord for the ridge line, and tie outs. Two hanks of 50' should be fine. Pair that with some stakes, and I know they have a convenient little plastic container just packed full of little bungie cords (they're so cute) you can tie into your guy lines for windy weather.

You'll need to learn some knots. Google is vast, and free, my friend. Get you a shoe lace, a beer, and get ready to learn some stuff. That will get you through a year of camping. It did for me. I've since evolved my methods to lighter, quicker, and simpler things......that's a different story.........Walmart. You can also get the tarp from there.

I did.
    Maturity makes the mind grow older.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBarovick View Post
    So how does this shopping cart sound;
    1) Dutch CRL with the wasp
    2) Four titanium stakes(? How many stakes do I need)
    3) Cordage for the stakes?
    4) of course the tarp lol
    I'd make sure to get no-stretch cord for the stakes. Depends on which tarp you buy, as to how many stakes you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    It sounds like you have the tarp thing under control, so get you some para cord for the ridge line, and tie outs. Two hanks of 50' should be fine.
    I would avoid paracord like the plague - that stuff has no business in a hammock setup.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Silvrsurfr is wise.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Dutch seems pretty fast. The Noah 12 is not a bad tarp for the money. I'm saving to buy a nicer one, but it does serve me well and comes with cordage, which I immediately replaced. It also comes with aluminum Y stakes. At least mine did.

Being in a bind for time combined with low skill sounds like a bad combo. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge is going with you and the weather is fairly nice.

It's in the 60's at night here around Chattanooga and I wouldn't dare hang without my UQ. What are you using for insulation underneath your body? I don't recall seeing any mention of UQ in your posts.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    I agree Dutch is really great. I would go for more stakes though in case there is a storm. Never hurts to have more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast