Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michigan NCT – M115 Mesick to the Fife Lake Loop, August 9-11, 2015 - Solo 3 days, 55 miles

I had a 4 day window in August to get out on the trail and was tempted to head to North Manitou for a repeat trip, but quickly realized that I wanted to go somewhere new. I’ve been collecting NCT trail maps, so I did some research and came up with this section hike, going in at M115 near Mesick (map #MI-05 from www.northcountrytrail.org ) and tying in the new Fife Lake Loop, for a total of about 55 miles. This would be my longest trip to date. Now that I had a destination, I needed to figure out some logistics. It’s a point to point hike, so I contacted the Jerry at the Grand Traverse NCT Chapter (http://www.northcountrytrail.org/gtr/) for some help on trail conditions and where/how to spot a car somewhere. At first, I thought of just parking at one of the trailheads (Harvey Bridge or Highbanks Rollaway) and hiking up and back, but after getting information from the chapter, that wasn’t a good idea. Based on their recommendation, I contacted Rick at Chippewa Landing Canoe Rental ( http://www.chippewalanding.com/ ) for help in a shuttle. So, for $60 (would have been less if I would have been a group, but I was solo), I had a ride lined up for 9:00 AM Sunday morning for my drop off point at M115.

The weather for the trip looked decent, with a pretty good chance of rain and temps in the 70’s and 80’s. I figured I’d bring along my 12’ SLD tarp with doors, just in case of rain, plus it hadn’t been used since winter and it was due for a trip. This was also the 2nd trip where I’d use my REI Flash 45 pack, purchased from the outlet in June for $55. I got all my gear packed, dug through my stock of food, layed out my route and was ready to go!.

Day 1 (Sunday, 8-9-15): M-115 at Mesick to an area 1.5 miles past Anderson Creek (16.5 miles, 5:30 hours)

It was a leisurely drive and I rolled into Oak Grove CG before 9, paid for my shuttle and met the driver. I pointed out where I wanted to go on my map and we had a nice conversation as we took the backroads to the trailhead. He also confirmed that leaving vehicles at some of the trailheads wasn’t a good idea. In fact, I never saw a car parked at any of the NCT trailheads I passed. The only cars were those of fishermen on the nearby river. By 9:50 AM, I was all set to go and began my hike. It was already 75 degrees and it didn’t take long for the mosquitos and deer flies to find me.

Michigandave at the M115 trailhead next to the river

NCT trail along the Manistee

Following the trail was easy so far and well marked, with the occasional NCT badge and the abundant blue blazes on the trees. Most of this section kept to the river, but did drop in and out of the woods. A few up and downs, but nothing too strenuous. I must admit, there were a couple sections of the hike that were pretty steep, but variety is nice. Eventually I got to a signpost for Arlenes Lookout.

Going around a corner, I came across this blue racer coiled up on the trail. I nudged him with my trekking pole and he took off. It must have been at least 4 feet long and the next day I came across a 5 footer laying across the trail. During the whole trip I saw 2 blue racers, a turtle, 4 deer, lots of black squirrels and a scared up a bunch of grouse.

Eventually, the trail crossed the river near Glengarry and turned into the woods and away from the river, going through pine forests that eventually started to thin out due to clear cutting. It was around noon and this is where it got a little frustrating.

Clear cut pine area with the blue blaze

I remember seeing a blue blaze on a fencepost, and after getting home and looking a google aerial, I realized I should have gone right and popped out on M37, for the roadwalk north. Unfortunately, I went straight and ended up in the back of a field.

I followed the 2 track into a backyard and met an older gentleman with his grandkids. He looked a bit surprised, so I introduced myself and pulled out my map to figure out where I went wrong. It turns out I was just off a side road from the main highway, so he gave me a lift (2 miles) and dropped me off next to the river. I’m glad I didn’t have to walk this section, because there was lots of traffic and it was hot!

Short M37 road walk

I crossed the river, then turned on West 12 mile road. Just then, I meet a guy on the corner (brown house, first one on north side on left) who asked if I wanted any water, so I took advantage of the refill. He say’s he does it all the time whenever he sees hikers. The tradeoff was that he needed a hand moving a piece of furniture off his deck into his pickup. It was a small price to pay to camel up for some ice cold water. After a short break, I continued down the paved road and got back on the trail again.

One this about the NCT, some of the sections are very well maintained and others are more rustic. Luckily, this section was pretty nice and the Chapter put a lot of work in this staircase.

In the beginning of August, a severe storm hit northern Michigan and here’s the result on one section of trail.

More great views along the Manistee River

It was probably in the 80’s and the humidity was high, plus the mosquitos were eating me alive. I was down to a liter a water and finally came to Anderson Creek. The water was cold and clear and I took a break. From the map, it looked like I had a mile or so to go.

I came across a trip report showing some campsites along a bend of the river and that was my destination. The area I was in had 2 tracks and was heavily used by car campers. I talked briefly with a few campers, and then I’d be on my way. They would be the last people I’d run into until Tuesday….almost 48 hours with no human contact. I did find the spur to where I wanted to camp and explored the area, but the mosquitos were bad and there wasn’t much sun, so I kept on going until I found this spot. It was perfect and had good water access, great hanging trees, a nice mix of shade and sunlight, plus the woods was nice and open. Mosquitos weren’t too bad either.

It was close to 4:00 PM and it was a long day at 16.5 miles, so I set up camp, swam a couple times in the Manistee, had dinner and relaxed until it was time to turn in. It was perfect night and the woods was eerily quiet.

Day 2 (Monday, 8-10-15): Campsite along Manistee to NCT/Fife Lake intersection rustic site (17.2 miles, 6:30 hours)

I had a great nights sleep and got up and on the trail before 8:00 AM. It was very overcast and I’d feel the occasional rain drop. Hiking in the morning is my favorite time before it gets too hot, but my feet got pretty damp from the morning dew.

The trail followed a 2 track road along the river, and because of the easy access, this is the kind of things I’d come across. I can’t figure out why people can’t clean up for themselves and the idea of this along the riverbank goes against all common sense….

I don’t know how long this had been out there, but it sure detracted the beautiful river view. Less than 200 feet past it was another abandoned camper up on the river bank. I don’t know what people are thinking….After getting past all this, it was back to enjoying the beauty of the NCT and everything that she brings.

By about 11, it was time for a break and I’d been coming across a number of benches scattered along the trail. It was probably 80’s degree and I’d done probably 6 miles so far.

The Highbanks Rollway area was one of my favorite sections and the trail was very well maintained. It had benches, overlooks and informative displays talking about the history of the area. Someone took the time to pick these flower and place them on top of a post. They were still pretty fresh too.

The local Scouting Troop built a hiker register, so I had to give a plug to the forums!

More of the trail the bridges over the creek.

The trail eventually ends and you turn north on a 29 ½ Mile Road, which is paved. It was around noon, hot, and the sun was baking me and the roadway. I would have thought a car would pass me and I could get a lift, but no one slowed down so I continued on to County Line Road (1st of 3 times I’d cross the same road) for my 2 ½ mile road walk

This was brutal…

Looking at my map, I had about 5 miles to go and I was ready to call it a day. This section stayed near the river and always had something just up ahead to keep it interesting. That’s what’s nice about the NCT. There’s areas that you’ll curse then the trail will quickly redeem itself with great views.

There was something about this big tree in the pine grove that was special. It’s a survivor.

NCT along river

At 3:45 PM and 17.2 miles, I arrived at the trail intersection and could finally end my day.

NCT-Fife Lake intersection

This is the rustic site northwest of Old US 131 campground, past the railroad tracks. The water was crystal clear, cold, and tasted wonderful. I got my camp set up (looks like it’s only good for 1 hanger), cooled down in the creek and spent what was left of the day just lounging and listening to the sounds of water. The area stayed pretty cool and the creek was like natural air conditioning. I had a nice quite evening and expected other hikers to walk right through my camp, but I had it all to myself. I fell asleep before nine and slept solid for close to 9 hours. Must have been the babbling creek soothing me to sleep.

Day 3 (Tuesday, 8-11-15) NCT/Fife Lake intersection, Fife Lake Loop and back to car at Oak Grove CG (22.4 miles, 8:30 hours)

I woke fairly early and got packed up and on the trail before 8:00 AM, a little later that I wanted to, but I was planning on a 12-13 mile day, stopping somewhere along the river south of Headquarters Lake. The trail followed the old route of the NCT through a mostly straight section of old logged out areas, 2 tracks and old rail lines. Here’s where I’d pass County Line Road a second time.

I was making great time through this section and the scenery wasn’t too bad. Following the red blazes of the Fife Lake Loop were pretty easy.

A few miles south of the Miller Road trailhead, I came across this lake and took a pack off break. I’d probably done 6 miles or so and it was around 11:00 AM and getting hot.

I liked how well this section of trail was marked with mileages. By now, I was thinking of going a couple more hours and finding a place along the river to end my day.

Kudos to the Grand Traverse NCT Chapter for all the great work on the trails!

Around 12:30 I rolled into Spring Lake Campground, emptied my garbage and took a break. According to my map, there was supposed to be a water tap, but I couldn’t find it. I still had 2 ½ liters of water and didn’t feel like filtering, so I kept on going.

The Headquarters Lake area was very nice and I could see stopping here for the night, but it was way to early to end my day. It looked like lots of great hang spots in the pines along the lake, but it was pretty marshy along the shore. Walking through the area, I met a car camper who offered me a cold beer, so I dropped my pack and took a break. This was the first person I’d talked to since Sunday afternoon. After about an hour, I headed back on the trail.

This was the new NCT trail and conditions were pretty good, with more of those benches. I was starting to scope out a spot for the night, but nothing looked promising. Either the woods were too thick or the trail was so high up off the river, getting down to it would be next to impossible. I did find a spot in the cedars right on the river bank, but the ground was damp, there was no sun, and the mosquitos were horrible.

After about 15 miles, I’d passed County Line Road again (2nd time that day) and realized that I had about 5-7 more miles to go. I was also hearing the road sounds from 131…This was where the Forrest Gump in me kicked in: “I figured, since I’d gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going”. I didn’t turn around, but just kept going, possibly looking for a decent hang spot, or even going back to where I camped the night before…In the back of my head I also contemplated just wrapping up and heading home..

I wouldn’t have even wanted to attempt going down this hill for water. I made my decision and decided to finish up the hike and head back home.

I ended up at US 131 roadside park, watered up, went under the highway and worked my way along the Manistee. It was probably 5 PM and I’d done about 20 miles or so.

I left the NCT at Old US131 Campground and headed north for a roadwalk in the hot sun for close to 2 miles. Right before I had come out of the woods, I saw a van pull out of the campground…I figured I’d see more cars and maybe hitch a ride. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I didn’t see any cars, so I was in for a bit of a road walk. This was the longest day I’ve ever had on the trail at 22.4 miles in 6:30 hours of hiking.

At 6:00 PM I arrived at my car back at Oak Grove Campground. I changed into a fresh shirt & sandals, made a fast food stop then headed home, arriving a couple hours later in Clarkston.

Closing thoughts:

This trip had a few firsts for me: longest trip I’ve ever taken (55 miles) in the shortest amount of time (3 days), longest day at 22.4 miles, and I went almost 48 hours without seeing anyone. It took me a couple days to recover and my feet took a pretty good beating. I enjoyed experiencing a new section of the NCT and I had it all to myself. Including the Fife Lake Loop gave me a good bailout option if I needed to.

I’m always looking for new places to go, and there are lots of NCT sections that that I’d like to explore, whether it be a point to point or an out and back hike. If you’re looking for solitude and a challenging hike, then this trip is perfect. Be prepared for some head scratching when looking for the trail too.

I’m posting this on my 51st birthday and it’s nice to know that physically I can handle the mileage, and more importantly, still enjoy being out there alone and on my own. Sure, there was some discomfort, but any day on the trail enjoying the woods is better than any day behind the desk. I got a late start in life and didn’t start backpacking until I was 44, so I’m trying to make up for lost time.

Thanks for coming along on my adventure. It was long and picture heavy, but it’s a resource for anyone considering this section of the NCT. Here’s the link to entire album:
    http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mic...20to%208-11-15
    Last edited by michigandave; 08-18-2015 at 08:58.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for the report. Looks like an awesome stretch of trail.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch
    Great recap of your trip! It's definitely going on my to do list. I flyfish the Manistee often and would love to do the hike. BTW - thanks for the links.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Good'n. Next time I'm up north and looking around for some trail, I'll remember your excellent report!
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    If I remember correctly the spigot at Spring Lake is (as you look at the lake) up and to your left in the campground area.
    Great report on what looks like an awesome solo hike.

We took some of the same pictures.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...try-Trail-loop
    Last edited by cjayflo; 08-18-2015 at 13:36.

Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    If I remember correctly the spigot at Spring Lake is (as you look at the lake) up and to your left in the campground area.
    Great report on what looks like an awesome solo hike.

We took some of the same pictures.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...try-Trail-loop
    Those pics do look familiar. Your trip report really helped me out in planning my trip. I agree, it was tough finding a hang spot on the new NCT section. I spied a great one at the bottom of the hill by river in one area, but didn't want to risk the climb and knew I could get down, it's just that getting back out might have been a problem. Glad you enjoyed my report!

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Enjoyed.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Bravo sir! Way to push yourself too. I approach all of this in a game like mentality and the need to 'level up' starts with pushing our mental and physical boundaries. Good for you!

Hammock
    Trail Lair - Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 11' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB / HG
    Suspension
    10' Kevlar Straps
    Thanks for the great report. Planning to much of this trail section the 1st week in September.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    Thanks for all the good info. I fly fish the Manistee quite often as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast