Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images

Singer 328k?

Anyone have any experience with this sewing machine?

I ordered a Singer 4423 but this one is available locally.

IMG_2887.jpgIMG_2886.jpg
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the model just before, the 327K. Recently upgraded but am still using the metal beast. What did you want to know?

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MoldyFrog View Post
    I have the model just before, the 327K. Recently upgraded but am still using the metal beast. What did you want to know?
    Is it worth $150 with cabinet (in excellent condition). vs. a new Singer 4423 @ $122.

I have done some research and lots of folks talk about its simplicity and workhorse reputation.

$150 still seems high even with the cabinet.(Well, compared to all the stories of $8 Goodwill machines & garage sales)

All you need is straight and zigzag stitch options, correct?

I think the zigzag cam comes in the machine.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 12-14-2017 at 18:33.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Honestly I'd probably buy the new machine, especially if you have not sewn much. A new machine out the box should be ready to go. While they say the 328k is cared for you won't know for sure unless you can stitch on it first. I lucked out and my 327K was pretty spot on.

Yeah $150 seems steep. For reference I bought my Singer at a thrift store for $5 marked down from $20. The model wasn't even on my radar but most of the "popular" model numbers people talk about that I could actually find were all $100+ and for that I was going to buy a new machine. However for $5 I as willing to gamble and it's a beast.

Lack of reverse isn't killer but certainly nice to have and a newer machine will give that. Also it's pretty loud. I cannot imagine the 4423 being as loud. The 327K isn't terrible but my wifes borrowed quilting singer that is about 10 years old is much quieter by comparison. I've never sewed on a 4423 but I do know the 327K will go through 6 layers of webbing without complaint and it sewed plenty of 1.0oz HyperD and lighter membrane silpoly too. So it can handle both extreme ranges. That said how often are you putting 6 layers of webbing together? I just did it to see if I could. Parts are still mostly available for the 328K, bobbins are easy to come by. Biggest issue I came across was I could not get a replacement light bulb that actually fit properly and worked.

If it was me and I was using it for general gear I'd get the newer machine which is more than capable, will have more convenience features and be quieter. If was going to be hammering away at backpacks or something with similar heavy materials the 328K is a good option. While originally considered "lightweight" at the time they are actually pretty capable of feeding some heavy stuff through them.
    Last edited by MoldyFrog; 12-14-2017 at 18:43.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MoldyFrog View Post
    Honestly I'd probably buy the new machine, especially if you have not sewn much. A new machine out the box should be ready to go. While they say the 328k is cared for you won't know for sure unless you can stitch on it first. I lucked out and my 327K was pretty spot on.

Yeah $150 seems steep. For reference I bought my Singer at a thrift store for $5 marked down from $20. The model wasn't even on my radar but most of the "popular" model numbers people talk about that I could actually find were all $100+ and for that I was going to buy a new machine. However for $5 I as willing to gamble and it's a beast.

Lack of reverse isn't killer but certainly nice to have and a newer machine will give that. Also it's pretty loud. I cannot imagine the 4423 being as loud. The 327K isn't terrible but my wifes borrowed quilting singer that is about 10 years old is much quieter by comparison. I've never sewed on a 4423 but I do know the 327K will go through 6 layers of webbing without complaint and it sewed plenty of 1.0oz HyperD and lighter membrane silpoly too. So it can handle both extreme ranges.

If it was me and I was using it for general gear I'd get the newer machine which is more than capable, will have more convenience features and be quieter. If was going to be hammering away at backpacks or something with similar heavy materials the 328K is a good option. While originally considered "lightweight" at the time they are actually pretty capable of feeding some heavy stuff through them.
    The 328k has a reverse & it comes with a very nice cabinet but you make some excellent points.

Steered me back towards the 4423.

There are better vintage models but the 328K is still a good one. To buy a vintage machine at a reasonable price, you have to be patient, knowledgeable about the model you are looking for, and willing to clean up a machine that will probably be just dirty and in need of a good oiling and lubricating. I currently have bought some 44 vintage machines because I enjoy working on them as well as sewing on them. I have never paid more than $95 for one (my first straight stitch only Singer 301 - considered to be one of the better vintage Singers). IMO, I would not pay $150 for a 328K.

John Thomas in NC

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    What about a Singer 503a "Rocketeer"?

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've seen a few people calling out that they have a 503A and that they liked it. It was on my list of machines to keep an eye out for. Took me a year of garage sales and thrift store hunting but mostly because I didn't want to spend more than twenty bucks. J3T sounds more experienced than me maybe he'll chime in. If you can get it cheap and are willing to maybe fiddle with the settings you probably cant go wrong with just about any older machine. You can't break the old metal ones without a special kind of effort and in terms of technology it hasn't changed much. If the timmings are bad they can fixed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    What about a 401a or 403a in new condition? with attachments. and recently serviced.

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Both of those were also frequently referenced and on my look out list.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast