Clark North Amercica advice

I finally was able to get me a good hammock to use in the mountains. I got a Clark North America. I put it up today in the back yard and it nearly squeezed me in to. It seems too short and closes in around you couldn't seem to be able to lay diagonal. I am 6'1" and 200#s am I to big for this Hammock? I may have to swap it for the warbonnet xlc. Thanks

The North American is small-ish. I am 6'2" and like my Clark NA as well or better than any other hammock I have tried.

My secret to success is on the heavy side, and may not work for you, or anyone else.

I take an inflatable [Neoair Trekker] to be exact, because of the way the baffles run, and partially fill it with air. Then I fold it in half/thirds and place it from my mid-thigh to my feet.

This allows me to either lay straight down the middle of the hammock, or get a slight diagonal. Plus in the winter, my feet are elevated above the mattress, and insulated all the way around.

With this method, however, lying on one's side is not entirely practical unless you go fetal and just push the mattress out of the way.

BUT, you do have to lug the inflatable along with you, which adds to the weight of your setup.

Might be worth a try...

Do you have a ridge line on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by elk71 View Post
    Do you have a ridge line on yours?
    I have experimented with a ridge line and also, my version of a mini-spreader bar, but the inflatable works the best for me.

It is like sleeping in a recliner.

The inflatable also opens the hammock and makes it less claustrophobic.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    You're not too big for this hammock. I find a 30degree angle puts too much tension on your straps and can put tension lines down the hammock. Trees that are farther apart with a gentler hang angle make a world of difference.

For the record: I have better sleep in a different hammock but my Clark is my go to for going off the grid because it is bomb proof and I know I can count on it.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    The North American is small-ish. I am 6'2" and like my Clark NA as well or better than any other hammock I have tried.

My secret to success is on the heavy side, and may not work for you, or anyone else.

I take an inflatable [Neoair Trekker] to be exact, because of the way the baffles run, and partially fill it with air. Then I fold it in half/thirds and place it from my mid-thigh to my feet.

This allows me to either lay straight down the middle of the hammock, or get a slight diagonal. Plus in the winter, my feet are elevated above the mattress, and insulated all the way around.

With this method, however, lying on one's side is not entirely practical unless you go fetal and just push the mattress out of the way.

BUT, you do have to lug the inflatable along with you, which adds to the weight of your setup.

Might be worth a try...
    This is exactly what I do except I use a klymit pad under my legs.....less than a pound and scrunches up real well because of the way it's built. I have the little clark tracelite, similar I think to the North American except smaller and w/o the weathershield. It's my 3 season go to hammock, I love it, and strangely I've never seen a report on it in HF.

• + New Posts