Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I had the same situation on a kayak trip. Shown is an HH Hex with WBBB or HH Expedition. I used some old MSR poles but these days I carry a pair of REI collapsable poles. They fold (shock corded) into three section and I believe extent to about 5 to 7 ft.

Hammockastent1.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Does the hammock do any good at that point? I could see the point with a bug net. But if not isn't it just the same as sleeping on the ground?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Continuous Loops
    2015-06-17 16.13.33.jpg

Was playing around with some ideas and came up with this. What do you guys think? Not the best artist, haha. Ideally, you would use this in a situation where you couldn't find trees or your suspension broke. You could carry around a small pad with you to use in this scenario, as well. Tarp would be optional dependent on weather.

This is meant to be something you buy for YOUR hammock. You could attach the velcro points to your hammock and then the opposite velcro points are already attached to the "Bivvy Top". Or snaps. Another idea is to run a bungee cord around a channel and cinch it closed around your hammock.

Hammock
    Mana Outdoors dbl. 10.8ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Outdoors
    Insulation
    UGQ(10* UQ,30* TQ)
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Dutch
    Bummer, the pictures are no longer there...

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Recent host change may be the issue on the images, I'll see if IT can get it working again on our end....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Does the hammock do any good at that point? I could see the point with a bug net. But if not isn't it just the same as sleeping on the ground?

If that question was addressed to me - the point of the thread was how one goes to ground when they bring a hammock. I was showing my paddling partner that my hammock setup would make a better tent than his tent would make a hammock.

If you have hiking poles, it takes very little to go to ground with a hammock. When I paddle, I carry collapsible poles (light weight, easy to pack) instead of hiking poles.

You already have the tarp. In my case, the bug net was attached to the hammock so I just needed to suspend it above my face. I attached its ends to the same poles that were supporting the tarp - that could be your hiking poles. My ground sheet is just a piece of black visqueen - something I also carry anyway. I suppose the only extra is the Therma-rest pad. I use an Underquilt but, when kayaking, I also always carry a pad. Unlike hikers who can roam around and find trees, I can have limited choices when my landing spots are just bare fields or shell beaches. I suppose I could wander further once on shore, but there is also the dynamic of wanted to stay somewhat near the other paddling companions.

For various reasons, having a "ground" option is desirable. If I chose to use a pad instead of an UQ, my hiking situation would need nothing extra. I'd use my hiking poles to support the tarp, put my visqueen and pad on the ground, lay down the hammock and tie the bugnet up on the poles, off my face. Not the most comfortable but it would work for a night.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-08-2019 at 13:40.

Hammock
    The big black one I made
    Tarp
    DD 4x3
    Insulation
    Depends on the wea
    Suspension
    Huggers and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >Does the hammock do any good at that point? I could see the point with a bug net. But if not isn't it just the same as sleeping on the ground?

If that question was addressed to me - the point of the thread was how one goes to ground when they bring a hammock. I was showing my paddling partner that my hammock setup would make a better tent than his tent would make a hammock.

If you have hiking poles, it takes very little to go to ground with a hammock. When I paddle, I carry collapsible poles (light weight, easy to pack) instead of hiking poles.

You already have the tarp. In my case, the bug net was attached to the hammock so I just needed to suspend it above my face. I attached its ends to the same poles that were supporting the tarp - that could be your hiking poles. My ground sheet is just a piece of black visqueen - something I also carry anyway. I suppose the only extra is the Therma-rest pad. I use an Underquilt but, when kayaking, I also always carry a pad. Unlike hikers who can roam around and find trees, I can have limited choices when my landing spots are just bare fields or shell beaches. I suppose I could wander further once on shore, but there is also the dynamic of wanted to stay somewhat near the other paddling companions.

For various reasons, having a "ground" option is desirable. If I chose to use a pad instead of an UQ, my hiking situation would need nothing extra. I'd use my hiking poles to support the tarp, put my visqueen and pad on the ground, lay down the hammock and tie the bugnet up on the poles, off my face. Not the most comfortable but it would work for a night.
    I also use the very same set up if on the ground. The ground sheet is my adapted heavy duty emergency blanket which I use as an UQ in summer weather.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Looks comfy (for a ground option). What is that monster tarp? I may switch to the emergency blanket instead of my plastic sheet because it is nice to have a "find me" colored item (bright orange) but I don't want to carry something just/only for that purpose. These "emergency" blankets have to earn their keep. I have some cheaper one that have spent a decade in their packaging and/or on the shelf. Time to wear some gear out.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    The big black one I made
    Tarp
    DD 4x3
    Insulation
    Depends on the wea
    Suspension
    Huggers and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Looks comfy (for a ground option). What is that monster tarp? I may switch to the emergency blanket instead of my plastic sheet because it is nice to have a "find me" colored item (bright orange) but I don't want to carry something just/only for that purpose. These "emergency" blankets have to earn their keep. I have some cheaper one that have spent a decade in their packaging and/or on the shelf. Time to wear some gear out.
    Hah! Monster tarp is a DD hammock 4m x 3m. Its quite heavy at around 1kg but I find my 3x3m tarp a bit too small for my 11' diy hammocks. And I mostly travel on my motorbike so I can deal with the weight increase.
    The emergency blanket is great, hard wearing, super cheap and packs small and light.
    The set up with my Xped syn 7 mat is really comfortable and the extra tarp size gives me loads of room for dry storage and cooking area when raining.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast