Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most Comfortable Hammock Setup? Will be my home.

I'm planning on living in a forest in Austin, Texas and commuting into the city daily. I'm interested in getting the most comfortable hammock I can get; I will only have one backpack that is water resistant that comes with a tarp for it.

I'm 5' 11 and ~160 lbs and sleep mostly on my left side and back and sometimes on my right side (trying to protect my shoulder). Is the traditional hammock type with asym design the most comfortable hammock? How does it compare to bridge hammocks and other types?

I don't think weight is a problem for me and don't mind getting a heavier hammock if it will be more comfortable and easier to pack away/deploy, etc.

I feel like traditional hammocks would be the most comfortable and that the longer and wider the hammock the more comfortable? The main hammocks that come to my mind are the warbonnet blackbird xlc and the dream hammock thunderbird. What is the purpose of an overcover and how does it's role compare with a tarp? Because I will need rain and insect protection and the Hammeck Envy-S seems to have a functional overcover but I don't know if it's advantageous to my situation. The wilderness logics hammocks also look very comfy with their head and foot extension feature but I don't think they have integrated bugnets? so maybe they would hang in my face or at least be a little more work to deploy?

I think it's warm here in Austin, Texas but some nights it might get cool and my friend said even in the tropics you can get cold butt syndrome so I think I will need to prepare for that and am interested in hammock living in the tropics so maybe this hammock could later be used for that? An underquilt seems like the best option? How does it contrast to a pad or even just using a sleeping bag in/around the hammock?

Double layer hammocks support more weight does that mean they are flatter and might be slightly more comfortable? Single layer doesn't seem to have any advantages other than being lighter maybe being more breathable in really hot conditions. What do you think?

Does the blackbird xlc's foot box make it the most comfortable hammock? Is it's shelf a killer feature to keep my bag in the hammock? Otherwise how would I keep my bag dry? under my hammock? under my hammock under a tarp? Hang the bag up on the ridge line under tarp or inside hammock? What are the options for keeping my gear dry?

What do you think of the warbonnet hammocks compared to the dream hammocks and any other top of the line comfortable hammocks that you think would be suitable for my situation. Please also enlighten me on suspension, easiest, lightest etc. because I don't know anything about the options.

This hammock will be my home and I'm really interested in getting the best setup I can, this means a lot to me.
    Last edited by comfyHanger; 05-29-2015 at 13:23.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Take a look also at Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. You can get it up to 12 foot long. I have never used a warbonnet hammock so I cant compare. The Trail Lair is extremely comfortable. It has an integrated bug net which you can unzip and stow in a small pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by jdenkevitz View Post
    Take a look also at Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. You can get it up to 12 foot long. I have never used a warbonnet hammock so I cant compare. The Trail Lair is extremely comfortable. It has an integrated bug net which you can unzip and stow in a small pouch.
    Thank you. How much more difficult does it become to set up a 12 ft hammock vs an 11 ft and < 11 ft? i.e. having to find trees further apart. I 'm also 5' 11" and ~160 lbs if that makes any difference in your eyes for you hammock recommendation. Is it just the longer the more comfortable? When might I be reaching diminishing returns?

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    I have an ENO single nest and a new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. The difference is literally galectic! Can't sleep at all in the ENO, but the Blackbird, I need the "do not disturb" sign. The more room you have, the more comfort in my book. I'm 6-2, about 220lbs, and the XLC is perfect.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Length and its effect on comfort is somewhat subjective. Some folks like shorter hammocks, some longer. I'm 6'1" and found that in my prior hammock, an ENO Doublenest, it was simply too short (9 foot 4 inches). The ENO was much wider, but the width I found useless (and actually in the way). The short length caused a good deal of pressure against my calf whenever I attempted a diagonal lay. The extra 2 and a half feet of length in the SLD trail lair made a HUGE difference. It's much more comfortable. Its altogether possible that there is diminishing returns past a certain length (maybe an 11 foot is just fine). I only recently got it a few days ago, but have taken a few naps in it and the difference is obvious. I will be hitting the dolly sods in wv next week for several days and will really put it through the paces then.

Per your questions, a longer hammock means that it can't squeeze into a smaller space, but I don't think the extra foot total length (12 versus 11) is all that much more when it comes to picking out a spot. The whole point of the hammock for me is comfort. If it's not comfortable, I am better off using my tarp tent setup (lighter and smaller).

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    They are more expensive but you may want to look at the Clark Jungle hammock. It has an integrated bug net and a weathershield. I love mine. I know the warbonnet is more popular but I love sleeping in my clark & they are well made so they should take being slept in every night.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    If you are planning on sleeping in it outside every night then you need a durable hammock that will hold up well in all weather.
    The Clark jungle hammock is extremly durable and will do the job.
    Even though it has a weather shield it still needs a tarp.

The nx 250 has been discontinued but they still have some in the back and will sell them at a discount but you have to call and talk to them, ask for Spencer in sales.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Can't say enough praise about my XLC. It's a little hang sensitive, but after you nail down your hang angle it's super comfortable. I think it's top of the line build quality plus the amount of features you get, it can't be beat IMO. I'd also pair it with the WB superfly tarp and you are set with a super shelter for the woods.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    You might want to check out the Switchback. My most comfortable hammock. I bought a used Clark but didn't like having to lie in banana mode so I sold it.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    I have a gear hammock that I use to keep my pack and miscellaneous stuff dry and in one place under my hammocks. I camp / hike with a 12 yo son and if I don't have a common place for him to put gear ( you would think his pack would be sufficient LOL ) he has gear all over the place and seems to have a propensity to leave expensive gear as a gift for the next folks at the campsite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast