Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Glad to hear you had a fine trip without those pesky bugs. They can really be horrible. Where Did you end up hanging?

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    We stayed at 12 mile, coves, mosquito & Cliffs. Cliffs was my favorite just because it is so far off the trail and we had a deer come in for a visit while we were eating dinner. Hanging was a little tougher there with 3 hammocks when trying to respect the "15' from the marker post" rule. I ended up with 2 trees 23' apart which is pretty much the limit of my set up. It was a great trip and we all had a good time.

image.jpg

I thought I'd just update this report from 2015 and provide the following information from the National Park Service regarding hammocks. I just checked they PIRO-NPS site and there is a new 2016 Backcountry Camping permit application. Here is the link: https://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvis...ation-2016.pdf

What caught my eye is the section regarding equipment and it's the first time I've seen hammocks listed. The 15' foot rule is not new. It states:

"EQUIPMENT - Tent or Shelter Quantity (Including hammock)
    Notes: Maximum of 2 tents per site (excluding group sites).
    1 Hammock = 1 tent. Tents & hammocks must be kept within 15
    feet of campsite post. Most sites will not accommodate hammocks. "

Very interesting indeed....I agree, there are a number of sites that won't work for hammocks within the 15 foot legal rule, but there are still a number of sites that will work and it's a grey area that both ends of the hammock need to be within the 15 feet. If anyone is planning to go to PIRO, there's a number of trip reports on the forum and there's one in particular that lists the Campground and site # that are good hang spots.

Too bad the NPS can't designate some sites as "hammock compatible" and waive the 15 foot rule to make things legal. I don't know what the cost of the fines are, but it would be a bummer to have that hanging over you on a trip.
    Last edited by michigandave; 04-22-2016 at 08:45.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That 15' rule can be tricky, especially after driving 8 hours to a place you've never been to and have no intel whatsoever! I've made it work in a pinch in some areas (not PIRO) but it certainly makes me nervous hiking/paddling into a site and wondering if there are going to be 2 trees. Often, it's up to just a single pair of trees...lucky!

Thanks for the update!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I want to do this hike now.

It is one of my favorite places of all time Karla. Even if you can't hike it it is worth a visit!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Beautiful. I need to win the lottery so I can travel to all the places I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That 15' rule can be tricky, especially after driving 8 hours to a place you've never been to and have no intel whatsoever! I've made it work in a pinch in some areas (not PIRO) but it certainly makes me nervous hiking/paddling into a site and wondering if there are going to be 2 trees. Often, it's up to just a single pair of trees...lucky!
    My first 2 night campsites I was good to go on the 15 foot rule. 3rd night I was probably pushing it, but it was the best I could do, even though I was there early enough to check out all the sites. I figure at least part of my hammock was legal and hopefully got an "A" for effort. That was my favorite site of all, since the river was right down the hill behind me and I could here it all night.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    Thanks for the update!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    I want to do this hike now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    It is one of my favorite places of all time Karla. Even if you can't hike it it is worth a visit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Beautiful. I need to win the lottery so I can travel to all the places I want to see.
    Glad everyone enjoyed it. It sure brought back some great memories when I re-read it and went through my photos again. PIRO really is an amazing place and if you get the opportunity, it's well worth the hassles of dealing with the park system and the long drive for most of us. IMO, best time to go is before Memorial Day and after Labor Day to avoid the crowds and to get your pick of legal hanging sites in the CG's.

Remember, the early bird get's the best trees! Oh, and don't forget to stop at Johnny's Dogs in Munising after you get off the trail.

Or if you go the other way, don't forget the Dunes Saloon/Great Lakes Brewing Co in Grand Marais.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast