Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

4 season UQ for the average man?

Hey guys,

I was hoping to get a few good responses in regards to using only one single UQ for all 4 seasons. I am from Michigan and my issue is that i really don't have the extra income for a summer underquilt and then on top of that a separate winter one. I'm trying my best to have an all in one setup for now. Should i just get a winter UQ and use a pad for the summer months? Will the winter UQ be way to hot for the summer...?

Ive been thinking about the Incubator 0 degree from HG. I don't mind shelling out the cash if i know it will work for the summer months too. Harry at HG believes i'd be fine with the 0 degree in the summer as long as i open up the ends for airflow. Obviously if it was too hot then i'd just remove it and use a pad or no UQ at all...but for the fall etc... I'm just not sure.

On top of that....I know Shug is all about the half/three quarter length underquilts but because i don't have a ton of extra income i cannot afford to make a mistake. By that i mean i can't afford to purchase a 3/4 UQ and say "Oops I should have bought a full length" or vice versa. Ive been at this for a while and i am ready to pull the trigger on the purchase but these issues are a bit confusing.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have only used pads thus far and i am sick of them!

Andrew T.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 'Freebird"
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps / buckles
    I own 1 under quilt (The hammock Gear 20 deg incubator) and it MAY be the only one I ever buy. I have slept quite warm at 11 deg with minimal clothing and up to 50ish deg with a little venting. Very versatile temp rating in my opinion.

I'm 6'1" and 225lbs.
    Train up a child in the way he/she should hang,
    And when they are old they will not become ground dwellers.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I appreciate the info. Not trying to offend you and not to sound like a wimp or anything but i'm 6 foot, 160lbs. I have zero extra meat to keep me warm and my feet usually get cold at night. Also, i want the option of being able to camp in below zero weather. Last year in Michigan we got down to -20 something and this year we have already gotten down to -5
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Images
    A set of 20's is probably the most universal and they pack much smaller.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    A 0* should be okay for all four seasons near you.

If things get above ~60*, it may be worth just getting an underquilt protector or poncho and rigging it up underneath you with a crumpled-up space blanket in it. This'd put you out ~$40 over and above, but would cut your pack weight and bulk considerably. I do this in temps above ~50* F, but I'm a particularly warm sleeper. Below ~50*, I use a 20* DIY UQ. No problems with temperature regulation so far (going down as low as 21* F and as high as 55* F). Remember that your primary form of venting in a bed is your top quilt (blanket, comforter, whatever); while the UQ will wrap around you more than a bed would, it can still be easily tailored to temperatures by using your top insulation.

Also, something to note is that--with good cottage brand gear--you can often resell it here in the For Sale forum for very close to what you paid for it. As long as you take care of your gear, you should be fine to resell it if you have to change your mind to another underquilt.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 'Freebird"
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps / buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    I appreciate the info. Not trying to offend you and not to sound like a wimp or anything but i'm 6 foot, 160lbs. I have zero extra meat to keep me warm and my feet usually get cold at night. Also, i want the option of being able to camp in below zero weather. Last year in Michigan we got down to -20 something and this year we have already gotten down to -5
    NO offense taken! I put height and weight because it CAN affect how warm people sleep. I will say, at 11 deg, I felt like I was nearing the limits of the quilts with what I was wearing. I only had on thin Patagonia top and bottom and a pair of wool socks. I have heard of folks taking the temp down further with a "sock" or "underquilt protector". I don't own either and in GA its unlikely that I would need them. If we DO get a zero deg night tho', you better believe that I'll be testing in the back yard again!
    Last edited by joshcrsn; 02-04-2015 at 13:27.
    Train up a child in the way he/she should hang,
    And when they are old they will not become ground dwellers.

Hammock
    Chameleon DL 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*Phx, JRB HR
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

my limited, novice opinion....

A 20* set is probably the closest you can get to a 1-in-all quilt set. For a deep winter setup, your only option I can think of (just an opinion), is a 0* full length UQ with a 0* TQ, and a 20* TQ to be able to mix things up in the other 3 seasons. If you tend to sleep cold-footed, go ahead on the full length quilt. Even with a 0* full length UQ you may still need to use your existing pad to supplement in the subzero temps. I know people that will stack their 20* with their 0* in the -20 you're talking about.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    A set of 20's is probably the most universal and they pack much smaller.
    Yes very versatile.

I backpack in northern Michigan 90% of my trips so I finally decided to get a 0° Incubator and Burrow as well. Looking back, I don't think I'll use them much and may end up selling them. It just depends on when you plan on getting out. I may NEED that 0° set one time since we've gotten below zero plenty of times this year, but never when I planned on taking a trip. So I feel like I wasted the money.

I guess my advice is start with a 20° Incubator which should be comfortable 15°-50° (and maybe warmer). Test it when it's below 15° to see how it works. Maybe you won't get out enough in the winter to need a 0°?

The 0° Incubator is a blast furnace; I couldn't imagine using it above 40°F, even if vented. Just too much overkill IMO even if your goal is to only have one.

As far as 3/4 or full, that's a tough one. I tried both and couldn't make the 3/4 work even though I really wanted it to, especially as it gets colder.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I use the 20° HG Incubator + 1oz all year long. Just vent it in summer. Winter it's the Incubator, UQ protector from 2QZQ & $5 walmart blue pad. Top side I use 0° down bag. I use the same bag year around. Summer I sleep on top of it. I motorcycle camp most time. Short trip hike so weight isn't a large factor.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I've been contemplating the same thing. Since there is only a $30 difference between the 20* and the 0* I'm leaning more towards the 0* and hoping I can make it work at 50-60* if needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast