Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Check out the "Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning" section. MI events are under the "Midwest" subforum.

Ludington State Park is going on this weekend. And I also just started one this weekend at Hoist Lakes (NE MI near Curran or Mio). Solo unless anyone wants to join.
    I might also add this one in Vanderbilt at Green Timbers the last weekend of February:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ee-Winter-Hang

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Yes, you're better off with buying the 0*F quilt. Not only is over fill pretty much unproven (no studies comparing a standard fill vs a overstuffed quilt of the same make, in same types of conditions. Just a lot of, "Well, I got X over stuff and it kept me warm to Y*F"), but based on the data that is available you only get a 0.1-0.2*F rating decrease for every 1% of overfill. (calculation done HERE if you're interested. Also lot's of discussion in that thread...)

So for a HG Incubator 20*F with 12oz standard fill to be considered a 0*F quilt based on over fill you would need ~133% additional fill (based on 0.15*F per 1% overfill). So you would need to add ~16oz of down, for a total of 28oz of down in the 20*F quilt.

HG only offers up to 4oz over fill. That's about a 5*F temp rating increase, and the cost will then be MORE than a standard 0*F quilt for the same amount of down, but less loft (by $6).

A standard 0*F quilt has 16oz of down. The reason is although there is some minor increase in warmth from over fill, warmth increases much more when loft is increased, and requires less fill to achieve said loft.
    That makes a lot of sense. Even if i cared about that additional 5 degrees I'm better off using a liner in my TQ to get it. Much lighter and smaller to pack...
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Check out the "Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning" section. MI events are under the "Midwest" subforum.

Ludington State Park is going on this weekend. And I also just started one this weekend at Hoist Lakes (NE MI near Curran or Mio). Solo unless anyone wants to join.
    Thanks for the info!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Officially changing the insulation portion of my profile from Therm-a-rest foam to HG Incubator 0 degree!!!

Thanks for the help everyone. You have all made my decision a bit easier!

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Hi! Maybe late to the party, but my two cents: I have a 0 degree extra long overstuffed snow beast as I like to call it. In the house, it's just fine. I'm in your boat, not wanting to waste money. This way I'll never be wishing that I got something bigger and warmer. In the warm house, I just don't need any top quilt at all. Think about your bed mattress. That's got way more insulation than any underquilt, and you sleep on top of that all year round.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3club View Post
    Hi! Maybe late to the party, but my two cents: I have a 0 degree extra long overstuffed snow beast as I like to call it. In the house, it's just fine. I'm in your boat, not wanting to waste money. This way I'll never be wishing that I got something bigger and warmer. In the warm house, I just don't need any top quilt at all. Think about your bed mattress. That's got way more insulation than any underquilt, and you sleep on top of that all year round.
    It's never below 63° in my home though But the Incubator 0° may actualy see 0°. Still, the best option if you only want ONE UQ. I think a 0 and 20 is a great combo. The 40°, not really necessary. I sold mine, but I don't camp in the summer so it was a total waste for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234