WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    +1 on Arrowhead. As long as you aren't worried about a little more bulk. I have the 25 degree full length New River and the 25 degree 3/4 length Jarbidge. Either one works in temps over 70 degrees for me and stacking them together I have been down to 15 degrees and was very warm. I plan to venture down to lower temps using these. On top I am using two down sleeping bags, one inside the other. Sometimes it's too hot!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My $0.02: build a PLUQ for $40, good down to 40 degrees or so.. then get whatever you need for winter weather up through 40- 50 degrees. Sure, it is bulky and not super light, but it's nice and comfy, and cheap..

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Meant to add that it would give you good practice with a UQ (vs. a pad), and you could maybe experiment with it in full vs. 3/4 length configurations.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    i agree 20* quilts are the most versatile but if you are planning to push below 15* you got no choice but to go with a set of 0* quilts.

Now for you on what to choose ...whats the lowest temp you 'want' to hang in and go with that.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    How often do you camp in winter - or at temps below 20°F? How often do you camp in warmer seasons? This is the crucial question, I think.

If most of your camping is in temps above 20°F, I would go with a full-length 20° underquilt and add a pad and maybe a hammock sock when temps are below 20°F. An underquilt protector is a good investment, too, and will add a couple of degrees. This way you won't be lugging around unnecessary ounces in warmer weather.

If most of your camping is in temps below 20°F, go with a full-length 0° underquilt. You can vent it in summer, but you will be carrying more than you need.

If you camp 50/50, think about what's most important to you: saving weight or ease of set-up.

With regards to the full-length or 3/4 decision, if you sleep cold, go with a full-length. If you want to use it in winter, go with a full-length. If weight is super important and you don't mind the pad under your legs, go with a partial uq.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    How often do you camp in winter - or at temps below 20°F? How often do you camp in warmer seasons? This is the crucial question, I think.

If most of your camping is in temps above 20°F, I would go with a full-length 20° underquilt and add a pad and maybe a hammock sock when temps are below 20°F. An underquilt protector is a good investment, too, and will add a couple of degrees. This way you won't be lugging around unnecessary ounces in warmer weather.

If most of your camping is in temps below 20°F, go with a full-length 0° underquilt. You can vent it in summer, but you will be carrying more than you need.

If you camp 50/50, think about what's most important to you: saving weight or ease of set-up.

With regards to the full-length or 3/4 decision, if you sleep cold, go with a full-length. If you want to use it in winter, go with a full-length. If weight is super important and you don't mind the pad under your legs, go with a partial uq.
    Spot on IMO. I really agree with the 20° if you camp in 20°+ MOST of the time. I pushed my 20° Incubator into the single digits a few times, but decided to get a 0° for more winter camping. The problem is, I'm starting to think I'll do LESS winter camping, not more. So I may end up selling.

Bottom line, it's hard to go wrong with a 20° set.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Here's my 2 cents on the subject. I'm in Michigan and get out year round. The AHE New River synthetic UQ is the first one I bought...budget friendly and good down to the mid 20's, but kind of bulky. As the hammock addiction spread, I bought a Jarbridge (also from AHE). I've used that for the past year or so for late spring, summer and early fall trips. Paired with a wally world ozark trail bag as a TQ, it's been an effective summer setup. Wanting to get out into colder temps and go with down, the JRB Greylock4 0 degree torso length joined my gear closet a few months ago. I like the pack size, plus I'm very comfortable using a foot pad tucked into my Enlightened Equipment RevX 20 TQ.

There lots of hangers in the state. Get out to a group hang sometime and take it all in. I learned so much after I went to my first one and checked out the variety of gear. After that, prepare for a hobby that will drain the wallet fast.

I'm new to the world of hanging... how do you find out about when/where the Michigan hangs are?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    What is the difference if i go with a 20 degree and add more down (example two more ounces of down etc.)...? Its seems as though i'd be taking a 20 degree UQ and by adding more down i'm essentially trying to bring the UQ rating down to handle lower temps. Wouldn't i be better off just going with the 0 degree then?

Its hard to say whether or not i would camp more in winter vs. summer...I could argue that Michigan is colder for more of the year than it is warm.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    What is the difference if i go with a 20 degree and add more down (example two more ounces of down etc.)...? Its seems as though i'd be taking a 20 degree UQ and by adding more down i'm essentially trying to bring the UQ rating down to handle lower temps. Wouldn't i be better off just going with the 0 degree then?
    Yes, you're better off with buying the 0*F quilt. Not only is over fill pretty much unproven (no studies comparing a standard fill vs a overstuffed quilt of the same make, in same types of conditions. Just a lot of, "Well, I got X over stuff and it kept me warm to Y*F"), but based on the data that is available you only get a 0.1-0.2*F rating decrease for every 1% of overfill. (calculation done HERE if you're interested. Also lot's of discussion in that thread...)

So for a HG Incubator 20*F with 12oz standard fill to be considered a 0*F quilt based on over fill you would need ~133% additional fill (based on 0.15*F per 1% overfill). So you would need to add ~16oz of down, for a total of 28oz of down in the 20*F quilt.

HG only offers up to 4oz over fill. That's about a 5*F temp rating increase, and the cost will then be MORE than a standard 0*F quilt for the same amount of down, but less loft (by $6).

A standard 0*F quilt has 16oz of down. The reason is although there is some minor increase in warmth from over fill, warmth increases much more when loft is increased, and requires less fill to achieve said loft.
    Last edited by Boston; 02-05-2015 at 10:52.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    I'm new to the world of hanging... how do you find out about when/where the Michigan hangs are?
    Check out the "Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning" section. MI events are under the "Midwest" subforum.

Ludington State Park is going on this weekend. And I also just started one this weekend at Hoist Lakes (NE MI near Curran or Mio). Solo unless anyone wants to join.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast