Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It all depends on you. I've used a 0* Incubator with overnight lows of 70 degrees, and didn't do any venting. I have never, ever vented an UQ at any temp. The down underneath me just doesn't get me hot. If I want to vent, I'll vent on top.

With that said, I'll agree that a 20* quilt set is the most versatile.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I use my 20* Phoenix with no venting every night hanging in my house. Lately the temps inside have been in the 60s. I've used it as high as 72*, and never felt too warm as a result. Any venting I require is done on top.

I'm also a big believer in 3/4 length quilts for bulk and weight savings. The temperature of my feet varies wildly from night to night, and if they're not in a certain temp range I have a very hard time sleeping. They've only been cold enough to cause a problem 1 night, when it was 29* out and I was outside. I was wearing wool socks but that wasn't enough. I slipped my sit pad (which I cut from the standard blue CCF pad from Walmart) under my feet inside my top quilt and that fixed the problem immediately. I carry the sit pad anyway, so it's not extra weight. You could cut yours a little longer than I cut mine to make up for the extra height if needed.

I'm 5'9", 160lbs for what it's worth.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    I use my 20* Phoenix with no venting every night hanging in my house. Lately the temps inside have been in the 60s. I've used it as high as 72*, and never felt too warm as a result. Any venting I require is done on top.

I'm also a big believer in 3/4 length quilts for bulk and weight savings. The temperature of my feet varies wildly from night to night, and if they're not in a certain temp range I have a very hard time sleeping. They've only been cold enough to cause a problem 1 night, when it was 29* out and I was outside. I was wearing wool socks but that wasn't enough. I slipped my sit pad (which I cut from the standard blue CCF pad from Walmart) under my feet inside my top quilt and that fixed the problem immediately. I carry the sit pad anyway, so it's not extra weight. You could cut yours a little longer than I cut mine to make up for the extra height if needed.

I'm 5'9", 160lbs for what it's worth.
    I'm the exact same height and weight. Tried a 3/4 but didn't like needing a pad. Still wish it worked...talk me into it

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm the exact same height and weight. Tried a 3/4 but didn't like needing a pad. Still wish it worked...talk me into it
    What is it about needing a pad that you didn't like?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    What is it about needing a pad that you didn't like?
    I posted a list somewhere, but I can't find it. So I'm not completely hijacking the thread, here are some of my thoughts: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...to-3-4-or-less

Here's my 2 cents on the subject. I'm in Michigan and get out year round. The AHE New River synthetic UQ is the first one I bought...budget friendly and good down to the mid 20's, but kind of bulky. As the hammock addiction spread, I bought a Jarbridge (also from AHE). I've used that for the past year or so for late spring, summer and early fall trips. Paired with a wally world ozark trail bag as a TQ, it's been an effective summer setup. Wanting to get out into colder temps and go with down, the JRB Greylock4 0 degree torso length joined my gear closet a few months ago. I like the pack size, plus I'm very comfortable using a foot pad tucked into my Enlightened Equipment RevX 20 TQ.

There lots of hangers in the state. Get out to a group hang sometime and take it all in. I learned so much after I went to my first one and checked out the variety of gear. After that, prepare for a hobby that will drain the wallet fast.
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-04-2015 at 17:38.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Andrew I have a HG 0 top and under quilts with 2oz of over stuff. I use it year round. Coldest I have been is down to 1 above. In the summer I have used this combo and just vent. I would rather be a little warm than wish I needed more down.
    Welcome to the crazy world of gear. lol
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I have both 0 and 20 HG TQ and UQ sets and I think you can get by with just one UQ if needed-
    My reasoning is that we don't change our mattresses at home based on the season so why change your UQ other than pack efficiency? Now granted mattresses are inside and the temp. fluctuations are not as wild but a modern mattress with a down TQ has quite a bit of insulation in it and works every month of the year.

Here's the kicker- Do you really need the zero? Maybe consider keeping trips to 20 degrees or so and up and enjoy the smaller pack size and be a little more comfortable during the warmer months. The zero UQ/TQ with 2-3 ounces of extra down are pretty darn big! Certainly bigger than what I want to carry when I don't need it. This is why I have a set of twenties which will be my go to set for 90% of my trips- ( I am a new hanger)

Food for thought!

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    I decided to go with a 3 season and add a pad as needed if I was going to be out when it was really cold.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    HG/pad and bag
    Suspension
    Straps
    I think I am going to get a set of 20's myself. This past Friday I went on a day hike in Pinnacle State Forest / McCarthy Hill, and set up my hammock for a nap after lunch. I think it was in the low teens to high single digits. I don't have any underquilts, so I just used my downmat partially inflated and my 20° bag. I got to say I just couldn't get comfortable... No nap for me. I ended up throwing the snow shoes back on and hiking back out earlier than planned.
    Chris (Chipper)

It seems like a good time to get lost in the woods for a few days! --www.chipperoutdoors.com-- or ---facebook---

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast