Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Sierra Sniveler
    Images

DD Superlight Hammock

I hadn't seen any reviews on the the DD Superlight Hammock so I thought I would throw one up. I Had been traveling with an ENO double nest along with the pro Atlas straps for a while now. I love the ENO series but it was taking up a lot of room in my bag. When I saw DD Superlights were the "lightest in the world" I thought I'd give it a try.
    The entire hammock and suspension fits just in my hand. Its is indeed tiny. In fact, its barely bigger than just the Atlas straps from ENO. It is only 280g. I need to stress that the size and weight include the straps and whoopie slings. It comes with two tree huggers that are about a 1/2 inch wide to attache the whoopies to. I still think my Doublenest is a little more comfortable, but that is like comparing a queen bed to a twin. For a travel hammock, and even for backpacking, this thing was nice. They even gave a military discount, though I had to email them directly for it. They seemed like really nice people. The company is in the UK but they still had quick cheap shipping. They didn't pay me to write about their product, I just hadn't seen anyone else talk about the DDs when I was searching on the forums.
    I'm still not sure if I want to get their Superlight tarp or mosquito net. I think for major camping where there are bugs, I'll stick with my WBBB.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I got the complete set and it's very nice. The net is what is known here as Fronkey style. Has drawstring. The tarp has multiple loops. Several videos on YouTube ab the Suoerlight range, as well as their oval-shaped Underblanket.

There is a DD hammocks subforum in Manufacturers/Vendors section, but I think it's good for others to hear about their products otherwise they may not know what is available and where to look.

The huggers concerned me because of varying tree widths, so I've ordered the Adutchable clip. In the blurb it says that it's. It for tree huggers but Dutch told me that they do work with huggers.

Superlight in front of my Switchback DL with integrated net. (GRRR upside down - sorry)

image.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware, DD Frontier, TTTM
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps + whoopie
    Images
    Hi all, it's been 2 years now that I have been using my DD Superlight in Provence (specifically the Nice area, the Alps). We have a lot of pine trees, arid places, lots of rocks coming out of the ground, ants... so you are much better off hanging than napping on the ground.
    But as I was inspecting and washing all of my gear this week I've noticed that my favorite DD Superlight had many tiny holes and some small tears here and there. So many around the edges of the cloth that it looked like stars at a planetarium. I only put small patches of Tenacious Tape where there was a tear bigger than a square. I'm very careful with it and even empty my pockets before climbing in it. I'm not the type to go in with shoes on. But it doesn't look good overall, I feel this is the beginning of the end and the next light hammock purchase is going to be something stronger even if it means twice the weight. Maybe I can pull an extra year or two from that one.
    Have you noticed a degradation in your DD Superlight hammock too? I have seen a lot of people posting about their Superlight DD hammock on the year they first came out (circa 2014) but since it's been awfully quiet.

Photo: the biggest tear, happened after a fall when their Amsteel Carabiner gave way because it was so windy (an other piece of gear I don't read about anymore )
    IMG_20160902_161756877.resized.jpg
    Last edited by Hylarborea; 09-17-2016 at 11:26.

Images
    If you wanted to trade up, you could get a grown-ups hammock that weighs only a little more,

50g more for an 11' hammock, instead of an eight and a half foot one.
    Hell, if you pushed the boat out and upgraded it to 2.2 Kevlar straps instead of the standard 4' huggers and whoopies, you could come in under the 300g mark.

Hammock
    Dutchware, DD Frontier, TTTM
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps + whoopie
    Images
    They look spiffy, plenty of options too.
    Thanks I'll definitely try one.

The shipping cost to France is fine too. Usually it would come to near $75 USD just for shipping an M65 jacket of the same price... Here it's a mere $23 USD. I've seen worse shipping prices for stuff from a neighboring EU country.

edit: So I went for the wide one. It's exactly the upgrade I wanted since I'm on the fat side (100kg) with a back problem that forces me to sleep sideways... 1m75 wide?! I can even sleep perpendicular to the hammock.
    The suspensions options are great and you don't get crappy ones like with DD so you are forced to upgrade them. I can't wait to receive mine.
    Gadget, you should claim your commission from Dutch ;p
    Last edited by Hylarborea; 09-17-2016 at 15:31. Reason: addition price info

• + New Posts