GT SBPro
    Tarp
    cheapo poly11x9
    Insulation
    donations? brrr :)
    Suspension
    kammock pythons

Bug Net and Permethrin?

I have a GT skeeter beeter pro, and am going Cumberland Island in early April. I've been 2 years in a row in February, the second time was after recent rains, and no-see-ums and ticks were pretty intense. I expect it to be worse in April. Friends' accounts from May/June are that they blot out the sun. My outer wear will be sprayed with Permethrin, i have Skin So Soft for no-see-ums (anybody have any better suggestions? Deet doesn't deter the little blighters and i don't want it on my skin). These should be sufficient for bodily protection.

The real question at hand is: Is Permethrin safe to use to treat my bug net?
    Because besides no-see-ums, the big thing down there is tree ticks. Hand to God, last year i was talking about how they sense your CO2 and drop down from trees, was pointing at my arm, and AND ONE LANDED ON MY ARM MID-SENTENCE. Smaller than a pinhead. You can hear them plinking off your tent at night, like tiny raindrops. This my first time hammock camping, and i'm worried about them climbing down my suspension in the night and being opportune when I exit in the am. Same with gathered no-see-ums and skeeters.

Has anyone treated their bug net with Permethrin? I have a UQP/UQ for the hammock itself, but under no circumstance are you supposed to use it on heavy-skin-contact clothing or gear. But contact-wise i think the bugnet might be ok. My main worry is whether or not i'm safe from fumes and short-term contact, even if the Permethrin has dried. Any experience on treating bug nets, or recommendations?

Hammock
    GT SBPro
    Tarp
    cheapo poly11x9
    Insulation
    donations? brrr :)
    Suspension
    kammock pythons
    Also chiggers. Chiggers are the Devil.

Hammock
    Netty, DW Nylon D,
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    G.Pepper 0 Inc 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    I sprayed my Warbonnet bug net soon after receiving it. Everything I've read says it's the best gear safe option. Now, I'll let ya know how it works this Summer .

Hammock
    Several homemade.
    Tarp
    Homemade coated ri
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Heavy duty : )
    Images
    When I lived in S.E. Florida in the early '90's, I did quite a bit of camping in the Everglades and Big Cypress Swamp between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale. I would soak my hammock and no-seeum netting in a permethrin mixture and air dry it about twice a year. I believe I used about 2-3 oz of 10% permethrin to a gallon of water. The hammock I made then had a zippered net with a flat area on the top. In the morning it would be thick with dead mosquitoes. The only skin issue I had was with a long sleeve shirt that I treated and wore in steamy weather. I ended up with a rash where my pack straps contacted my shoulders. I saw it in the animal meds department at Tractor Supply the other day.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I treat everything with permethrin. Hammock, bug net, and all of the clothes that I wear while hiking.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    I treat everything with permethrin. Hammock, bug net, and all of the clothes that I wear while hiking.
    Same here....
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I use a Fronkey style bug net w/o the shock cord in the opening. At the beginning of our season I remove it from the hammock, place in a 1 gal. bucket and empty an entire spray bottle of the Sawyer permethrin over the bugnet. After a good soak I lift it out giving it a chance to drain back into the bucket and hang it to dry. The remainder of the liquid is returned to the spray bottle for use on socks, shirts, kilt, hat, bandana. Everything but my compression underwear, and so far I haven't had any critters get past them. I too have seen them land on the net and just fall off after a couple minutes. Been using this method for 3 years on nanoseeum and so far no problems with the fabric.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I would bathe in the stuff if I could! Everything I own is treated, except my underwear.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Permethrin is safe for skin contact, though mucous membrane contact might be another story. Therefore, I treat everything--including clothing--except for the portions of my underwear that come into contact with mucous membranes (instead, I treat the cuffs and waistband, the primary entry points for bugs).

So, yes, you can definitely treat your net.

If you want something for no-see-ums, try 20% Picaridin for your skin. It works better than DEET for ticks, approximately the same for mosquitoes, better for flies and no-see-ums, but not as well for chiggers (I tend to get eaten by chiggers in one trip out of three in Ocala National Forest). Note that it only lasts about 80% of the time between applications as high-test DEET (40%+ concentration), so reapplication is necessary over a longer day. WallyWorld and Sports Authority carry it in my town; finding it online shouldn't be hard, either.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Images
    I treat the hammock and net and all my clothing with Permethrin. I use the Picaradin on my skin. I damaged some good equipment with Deet once....once. In the four or five seasons I've used the dip method, I've gotten exactly one tick on me and one on my son. Both were in the beginning of learning the process. Mine was from me not applying the Picaradin prior to getting to camp.

I use a concentrate that I dilute and dip clothing in, then the remaining goes into a sprayer for the hammock, etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast