DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles

Savage Gulf Trip Dec 29-31

My son and I headed out from the Savage Gulf Ranger Station around 9:00 Monday morning. We took the Savage Day Loop to the North Rim trail and followed it out to Hobbs Cabin and campsite. The forecast was off by about 24hrs, it was supposed to stop raining and clear up Monday morning but it continued raining through about 5:30 Tuesday morning. The temps stayed around upper 30's to low 40's and within an hour or so heavy fog had settled in. We took our time and took pics from the foggy overlooks and along the trail. In spite of all the rain the night before mud and creek crossings were not a problem. We enjoyed the beauty of the rainy day and arrived at Hobbs Cabin around 2:30 after hiking about 8.5 miles. We stopped and chatted with the 7 folks in the cabin and then moved on out into the camping area and set up. This was our first time to experience a full day and night of steady rain and cool temps. Everything went well considering the weather. We ate well, stayed relatively dry and most importantly, stayed warm.

Tuesday morning the temp had dropped to 32F and there was a fair amount of ice on everything. We had to work to get our straps and tarp lines off the trees and when my son untied his bear bag it stayed put, the line was froze to the limb. We had planned to take the Connector trail to the Historic Stagecoach Road trail and then the South Rim trail. But with all the ice we thought it would be better to head back down the way we came and enjoy some of the overlooks without the fog. The North Rim trail is described as the trail with the most overlooks in the Savage Gulf trail system. It turned out to be a beautiful day with plenty of sunshine by noon and temps in the low 40's. We had a great day and arrived at the Savage Falls campsite around 3:00 after hiking around 8 miles. We had a good fire and enjoyed the moon and stars. The temp bottomed out at 25F that night. Wednesday morning we headed out the South Rim trail and checked out Savage Falls and some of the views on that side of the Gulf. We got back to the Ranger Station around noon and headed to Jim Oliver's Smokehouse Restaurant in Monteagle.

By the way the pic of the fellow with the hat is Richard Savage. Just happened to meet him at Savage Falls and found out his grandfather was the last person to live in the gulf. He grew up in the area and had some interesting stories. He does historic hikes in the area as a member of Tennessee Trails Association. And finally the pic of the mustard is to show my wife's version of individual packs she makes for me with her vacuum seal machine.

By 2:00pm we had hit I24 West and headed back into the "real" world. It was an awesome three days. Thanks to all of you reading this who share your expertise for us to learn from.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like the views
    Even with rain it looks like you had a good trip

Cheers

Images
    Glad to see you boys made the trip.

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Glad you guys had an enjoyable time Potneck, thanks for sharing with us.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Senior Member Rivendell Refugee's Avatar
    Hammock
    Insulhammock
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Insulhammock
    Suspension
    DutchGear
    Looked like a nice trip! You know how much I like the Fog and Mists, I hated to miss one in my back yard! Looking forward to seeing you again!

RR

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Thanks for sharing! Wish I could have joined you guys. I really like hiking the Savage Gulf area. G-Nut
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Images
    Thanks for posting this. It was a great looking trip. I am glad you had a good(if wet) outing. Hopefully I will make it to another one soon.

Ragnall

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    This looks like my next 2-nighter. Thanks for posting.
    A couple of questions.
    Do you have to register / get a permit at the ranger station?
    Is the Connector trail rough (steep, rocky)? I noticed you skipped it due to potential ice. I would like to do a North Rim / Connector / South Rim loop.
    Did you get a fried pie at the Smokehouse!? Only been there once as I was passing thru!

Thanks!
    CC

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Thanks for sharing

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ccartertn View Post
    This looks like my next 2-nighter. Thanks for posting.
    A couple of questions.
    Do you have to register / get a permit at the ranger station?
    Is the Connector trail rough (steep, rocky)? I noticed you skipped it due to potential ice. I would like to do a North Rim / Connector / South Rim loop.
    Did you get a fried pie at the Smokehouse!? Only been there once as I was passing thru!

Thanks!
    CC
    Yes you have to get a free permit at the Ranger Station. There is a kiosk if no one is there.

I think the loop you mentioned would be a great hike. That was exactly what we had planned had the weather been different. From everything I've read the Connector trail is definitely steep and rocky. Even though it would be challenging for me I thought I could do it since it would a relatively short distance (were planning to camp at the Stage Road campsite and finish the South Rim trail back to the truck on the third day). I've never hiked any of the Connector trail so I can't really tell you anything about it other than what I've read on the site and here on the forums from other trip reports. I plan to try the same hike another time if I get a chance.

As for the Smokehouse it was great. We stayed there Sunday night and had breakfast before we started our hike Monday morning. Then we hit the lunch buffet on the way out. After all the fried chicken, bar-b-que, meatloaf, turnip greens, white beans, cracklin' cornbread, etc, etc. we just couldn't handle a fried pie. We did spend a few minutes contemplating it though.

Hope that helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast