Jordan River Valley/Northern Michigan Fall Camping with food theme 11-21-14 to 11-23-14

Four of us ended up making the journey to Pinney Bridge Campground in the Jordan River Valley the weekend of Nov. 21st, 2014. Those attending were Nate, Squirrelbait, HHS Hanger and Michigandave. Squirrelbait had arrived and set up camp earlier in the day, then drove out and picked us up. The 2 track in was pretty treacherous, especially since we didn't get back in until after dark. Friday evening was windy and we hit a low of 28 with lots of wind. Saturday morning started with lots of coffee, then setting up the big 24 by 12 foot shelter tarp for our basecamp, complete with a picnic table, dutch oven, and lots of wood. Weather was in the upper 30's and low 40's for most of the day, and the rain held off. We spent most of the day just hanging out and talking hammocks....oh, and we ate. Had lots of bacon, bisquits and gravy, cornbread, chili, jambala, pork sausage, cheese, craft beer (and other adult beverages). More of the same on Sunday too! Saturday night stayed in the high 30's with some rain. I got to test out my new SLD Winter Haven tarp, plus get some more use out of my newly purchased JRB Greylock 4. I also dragged in my pulk in progress project, which made gear hauling alot easier. We also had a dutch oven, which was heavy, but worth the weight.

Our weekend in the Jordan made for a nice getaway, with awesome scenery and great fellowship with friends. Link to slideshow on photobucket:
    http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mic...0to%2011-23-14

Photo of camp (note-tarps are all Simply Light Designs Winter Haven's, sized in 12, 13 and the monster 14!):

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks like you guys did it up right. Thanks for reporting

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. Great looking pics from the trip. Looks like everyone stayed warm and ate well, those biscuits look good.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Great report . That is a beautiful area . The big common tarp was impressive .Looks like you guys had a good time .

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Man, I missed this one. I have been to the Pinney Bridge campground lots of time. Wish I would have checked the site sooner. Maybe a Spring Hang for us trolls?

Squirrelbait's camo tarp setup for the campfire was a thing of beauty. Could have easily put an extra lounging hammock under it...the picnic table was a bonus too.

kg, HHS & Squirrel live near Gaylord. I met them last year at Pinney Bridge and we've done a couple of trips together. We're always planning new adventures, so hope you can join us sometime.

• + New Posts