WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche

Hennessy Hammock for First Hammock

This is a continuation of the conversation started in the Newbie Hammock Setups

I understand the DIY mentality I really do, I apply it to alot of other things. I just feel with something like the hammock and my first one I would really like a professional one. I would like to have a good baseline then find out what I like, what I don't need and what I would prefer.

I understand the not judging by using a smaller hammock, but I feel I am able to see past that. I would be very skeptical about what I did not enjoy because I know I'm half an inch taller than it says but its the best way, but again I'm new.

Another problem I have is that it's getting close to the end of being warm and I was really hoping to have a head start on hammocks for next year.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    How do I put this... I would be reluctant to see you rent the expedition to decide if you want the explorer. The height is not the big issue for me. Rather it would be the way the hammock lays and that would be difficult for you to discern if you are brand new to hammocks. It's hard enough to do when comparing different brands and how they feel. The best way to do that is to try out the one you want. If you plan to get down to PA let me know and I'll set up mine and let you have a feel for it. But it would be cheaper for you to rent the explorer to start with I think.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Rev, I think the problem for Kasuko is that MEC only rents the Expedition and the UL Backpaker, so no shot at the Explorer as a rental. I do agree with Rev about the likelihood (or lack of) that you will be able to see past any issues. Each hammock model has their own unique little 'things' about them. I guarantee you that if I had tried an Expedition first, I never would have bought a Hennessy. OK, that's probably a lie because I've got plenty of hammocks that I don't personally like, but the point is valid.

I guess in the end, something is better than nothing. Now that you have been forewarned, maybe you will be able to see past some of the deficiencies you'll find with the Expedition at your size. Just be sure that a bad impression doesn't sour you for the hanging thing all together if you are starting with a hammock that doesn't fit to begin with.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Rev, I think the problem for Kasuko is that MEC only rents the Expedition and the UL Backpaker, so no shot at the Explorer as a rental. I do agree with Rev about the likelihood (or lack of) that you will be able to see past any issues.
    I understand that as an issue. The alternative _I_ would suggest would be to order the explorer IF that's what you think you want. Give it the old college try and if you don't like it send it back within the return guidelines. I don't think there is anything wrong about doing that in good faith.

Edit: Just don't slavishly follow the stuff sack directions to hang the beastie cause I happen to think they are bogus. hehehe Read the HH forum while you are waiting for it to arrive and you'll get the drift and the alternative suggestions.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I understand that as an issue. The alternative _I_ would suggest would be to order the explorer IF that's what you think you want. Give it the old college try and if you don't like it send it back within the return guidelines. ..
    That is a good plan. You could even make it very plain to them upfront that if you don't like it, it is coming back. I think they will be just fine with that. It would end up costing you shipping at the most.

I'm 6'1" and I just don't think I would be satisfied in any HH shorter than the Explorer. In fact, I have recently discovered I like the comfort of my even bigger Safari (No Net version) even better, to the point where it is (IMO at least) a MAJOR contender for most comfortable hammock of all.

That makes me suspect that going backwards to a HH shorter than the Explorer would not suit me. Plus, I kind of like the HH Super Shelter. And the SS pad for the Explorer is ( at least at the time I got it) about 7" wider than the one for the Exp/ULB. And I think that is a worthwhile benefit.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    there is an $100 expedition for sale here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...=189793#189793 if you find it will work for you

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Ok, I have done it, I ordered straight from Hennesy Hammocks 2 hammocks, I got the Explorer Deluxe for me and the Expedition for my girlfriend, hopefully they will be here before August 31st so I can test them out when I go camping then.

After reading for hours and hours about this hammock and loving EVERYTHING about them I figure unless there is some minor issue I can't think of I will love this hammock and that's worth the risk. If I do have to pay the shipping on the return it is around $10 so it's cheaper than renting the smaller hammock.

I also opted for the HEX fly with the explorer to increase my options as I'm no ultralight hiker yet.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm off to the HH section for a little light reading.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    Ok, I have done it, I ordered straight from Hennesy Hammocks 2 hammocks, I got the Explorer Deluxe for me and the Expedition for my girlfriend, hopefully they will be here before August 31st so I can test them out when I go camping then.

If I do have to pay the shipping on the return it is around $10 so it's cheaper than renting the smaller hammock.

I also opted for the HEX fly with the explorer to increase my options as I'm no ultralight hiker yet.
    I don't think you will be disappointed with the Explorer or the Hex fly, (never tried the Expedition so no experience there).

After you do your light reading on the forum, feel free to ask lot's of questions. There is a bit of learning curve initially so don't be too quick to judgment if it is not perfect your first night out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you can... find a way to set up BEFORE you go to the campsite. Practice helps develop the confidence it takes to make really stupid mistakes.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Congrats Kasuko and welcome to the hanging gang!
    Practice helps a ton, most of us don't get it right the first time. But, even without practice at home you'll have an adventure and I bet you come back telling us how great it was.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast