Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Pad n Bag
    Suspension
    Straps, Biners
    Problem is, with this either you, or your pack can be dry. When setting up camp, if you aren't constantly wearing your pack (impossible) then it will get wet. Or you can use it to cover your pack and get wet. As a SUL backpacker I love multiuse items, however if you are carrying the weight of a hammock setup, sacrifice a bit more weight for being dry, and having a dry pack. Plus I can't bear the thought of stepping on a piece of Cuban fiber. Too expensive!!!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    I use a CF rain kilt as my lower protection and it doubles as my (small) ground sheet. Extremely durable and never had an issue. I don't keep a lot on the ground, but gives me a place to sort gear and place my pack. Weighs 2.2 oz.
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I use a Rain kilt too. Only I'm cheap so silnylon for me.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would have a hard time stepping on something that cost so much. Cuben is tough, but it will also puncture. One other thing I noticed is its functionality as a rain poncho. Unless you are using it in warmer weather, your arms will be very wet. If using it it warm weather the cuben doesn't breath at all. At that point there is no reason to wear a rain coat at all. Sometimes when something is a "do-it-all", it doesn't do anything well. Just an observation. Things may be fine for you.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    I always use a ground mat. I recently ordered a roll of Tyvex off Amazon for like $6. This will be a lot lighter and larger then my current mat.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I wouldn't want a bathtub under my hammock.

I have that poncho - for when I'm on the ground.

If I use anything in you situation, it's a small piece of plastic sheeting.

Tyvek! This stuff is awesome. I hiked with a forum member Padovini, who kept a 2 by 3 sheet of Tyvek with him during our week long hike. He used it as a staging ground for everything he needed to do with his shoes off. I can honestly say that I was jealous he had that little piece of tyvek. Trying to balance one foot, while hunched over under my rain fly, attempting to change my underwear without putting my foot on the cold wet ground was terrible.
    Last edited by Chips; 12-28-2014 at 09:21. Reason: I saw someone ordered a roll on amazon for $6

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use a 2'x3' piece of Tyvek also. It's not only a good ground sheet, but I use it to stand on while bathing with no-rinse soap.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    fwiw I agree about not standing on your rain gear and hanging every thing. I'll add that you might want to consider a bit of CCF foam. If you look at what it available some is very heavy and some is very light. Get a piece of the light stuff that just fits down the back of your pack and it will be big enough to sit on when the rocks are wet, stand on when you want to keep your feet clean, keep under your feet in the hammock when cold, sort your stuff on, etc, for about 2 oz. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

I do see the benefits of a ground sheet.... but, you can easily get by on a thru hike without one.
    A ground sheet, for me, just makes life a little easier at camp.

I'd go with the zpacks poncho for the poncho use first(do you prefer a poncho over a rain jacket?) and then use as a groundsheet as needed.
    I use the cuben groundsheet for the zpacks hexamid solo plus and I think it is the same material/thickness as the poncho...it will eventually wear(like anything else) but the material is not fragile. I've probably used it 15 times as a hammock groundsheet and around 80 nights on the PCT...no holes or thin spots.
    Just don't walk on it with shoes or set up on sharp/abrasive objects etc(common sense).

I'd grab a piece of tyvek and test out whether a ground sheet appeals to you...
    I like em but not sure if I'd use a dedicated groundsheet for a thru hike...but if you are going to carry a Underquilt protector, you might as well get the poncho and get 4 uses out of it(poncho, packcover, groundsheet, UQP)
    Last edited by cliffhanger; 12-29-2014 at 18:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast