Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Sierra Madre Hammocks

Any of you guys seen one of these before? If so, what do you think? Seems pretty cool to me:

http://www.smrgearme.com/buy-gear/nube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irvmb4QIINg

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks interesting

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Your post reminded me of when this product first hit the market.

We had a bunch of new HF joiners with one post asking "what does everybody think of this".
    I figured it was a well-oiled advertisement scheme & I was half suspicious it was run by Nigerian princes (nothing personal against the company, it just wasn't well known).

So whatever happened to the Nube?

(And by the way, I'm not calling you out for asking.. i'm generally interested.. there was great hype about it).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I wanna say I've run across this before. Anyway, I like the idea of the product and think that it will be something that will catch on to the market due to it's innovative design.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Your post reminded me of when this product first hit the market.

We had a bunch of new HF joiners with one post asking "what does everybody think of this".
    I figured it was a well-oiled advertisement scheme & I was half suspicious it was run by Nigerian princes (nothing personal against the company, it just wasn't well known).

So whatever happened to the Nube?

(And by the way, I'm not calling you out for asking.. i'm generally interested.. there was great hype about it).
    Yeah - I just came across this by accident on youtube. I was surprised that the manufacturer wasn't listed along with all the others. I'm surprised no one has chimed in w/ "I have one of these". lol. Seems like a really cool design - Especially if you already have a hammock that doesn't have a bug net.

I'm not a marketer. I have a Dream-Hammock Dangerbird and am extremely happy with it. :-)

Derek recently posted something on his site about a sunset trail trip with his son were he used this.

http://theultimatehang.com/

Not a review, but maybe one is coming

I own both the Nube and the SMR hammock, purchased from a popular crowd funding site--overall the Nube is good but not great. Think of the Nube as an over-thought tarp designed by accomplished Auto-Cad users.

Construction is first class, set-up is easy, but--one proviso. Your location is a 'Goldie Locks' zone with trees scattered just right to get Nube setup properly. IMO a tarp is far more practical in most circumstances. The Nube is a specialized shelter for extreme conditions--hot, buggy, tropics and monsoons, feeling more like a suspended tent than tarp. I'm in Sydney Australia so the rap-around bug net is great in summer, but I'm the first to admit the WBBB and a Clarke tarp is the preferred choice. Because, the Nube is just too finicky to set up.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I haven't looked at the product since it came out, but my initial impressions were overthought and heavy. Some people like an artful shelter; I prefer a functional/versatile shelter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Still searching for the one...
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies
    I bought the whole "system" if you will. The Nube shelter system which is what seems to get most of the criticism here; and, the Pares which is their hammock. I'm not a backpacker. I'm a hunter who chooses to hunt areas without truck access to minimize my dealings with the multitude of morons that fill the woods during deer and turkey seasons. I've been using a tent, pad, sleeping bag for the last 15 years or so and thought that the hammock thing would make my site selection much easier as well as drier during Turkey season in particular.
    I live in New Orleans and hunt primarily in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Having a shelter that provided bug protection and extreme rain protection was what made me interested in the product. I can attest that it passes both of those tests! The ease of setup was another factor that aided in my purchase; but, I think the biggest selling point for me was the gear stash that is made into the bottom of the Nube. It's amazing to me that is what most of the posts on this site criticize about the design. It adds weight to the system; and, if you are backpacking you probably don't need it. I do. Let me explain.
    That little belly of Ripstop has it's own suspension system that allows me to keep my extra clothes, bow, arrows, etc. under me and a few inches off of the ground. The suspension is the same as the hammock suspension lines and i attach one of the loops on the carabiner with the hammock attached. I've been in it three trips so far and the Pares shelter is by far my favorite piece of the system. It has two pieces of cord that I tie around the trees (the ridgeline I guess) and six stakes for the rest of the tarp. I've stretched them out and tied them high on low humidity nights; and, I've short staked them close to the hammock during a two day rain. Worked perfectly. I had lots of room and didn't get over heated on a muggy 75 degree night and I didn't get cold on a 45 degree night in Arkansas a few weeks ago.
    The hammock is a different story. I don't know what I'm doing yet; but, it just seems...BIG. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and this thing seems really, really big. I'm thinking of trying a dream hammock freebird or something minimalist to get comfortable in. I also ordered an under quilt today from Hammock Gear so maybe losing the pad will help as well.
    Again, I'm not a backpacker. I utilize much of the same gear because i carry it into the woods and sleep for days at a time with what's on my back; but, once ya'll set up camp you probably don't have much gear in your packs. Probably just a change of clothes and food that you can hang on your whoopie slings. i have other "stuff" that i need to keep from getting soaked or frozen.
    I figure I'm paying about a two pound penalty for the insurance of having everything "integrated". Since i can setup in about 5-7 minutes, that's a penalty I'm willing to pay.
    I've learned a lot in the few days that I've been on this forum. I'm sure I'll be much a much better hammock camper by the conclusion of Turkey season next spring. Maybe by then I'll have "outgrown" the integrated system. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    This was discussed here a while back. Some people liked it, some didn't. It never really go a lot of mention after the Kickstarter campaign wrapped up. I don't think enough people here tried it to really get a good discussion going. It really needs to fit your needs IMO. I wasn't a big fan of the tarp and thought it was limited in how it can be set up. If it works for you, that's great. It just wasn't for me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast