View Poll Results: What hammock manufacturer do you recomend for someone just getting started?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hennessy Hammock

32 20.65%
  • Clark Jungle Hammock

7 4.52%
  • Speer Hammocks

2 1.29%
  • Eagle's Nest Outfitters

26 16.77%
  • Claytor Hammocks

10 6.45%
  • Jacks ‘R’ Better Hammock

2 1.29%
  • Grand Trunk Hammock

8 5.16%
  • Warbonnet Hammock

39 25.16%
  • Do it yourself Hammock

19 12.26%
  • Other, not listed

10 6.45%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images

Dyi

My only reason for suggesting a DYI is I thought I knew what i wanted and when I bought my first hammock it was a Clark. Loved it until I figured out some things I would prefer that it didn't have. However making your own you can adjust and change it once you have your basic rectangle of ripstop you can make channels or just a whipped end, or after you find you don't like a gathered end you can try your hand at a bridge with the material. Also most purchased models are more expensive than a DIY. I understand that when you are just starting out you mostly have no idea what you want but...with a store bought brand you get what ya get and that's that.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    I purchased a Hennesy Safari no net, because it was a cheap purchase, but the methods of insulating in an inexpensive way, with blue pads, point to the double layered hammocks like the DD or the Claytor. They are all inclusive, reasonably priced, and easy to keep warm in.

John

Hammock
    Not sure yet
    Tarp
    varies
    Insulation
    TNF Cat's Meow
    Suspension
    Moving to webbing
    Well, I voted for Grand Trunk because that the route I went when I got started (but back then the company was Travel Hammock).

I wanted to try hammock camping, but wasn't sure it was going to be for me. Not wanting to shell out a ton of coin on an unknown, I steered more towards hammocks made by various brands that were priced less than $50. I ended up witha Travel Hammock Ultralight ($24 with hanging kit). It was simple, and not ginormously sized. It turned out to be a great starter hammock for me. Add a basic coated nylon tarp the the Ultralight, and you have a a solid, basic sleep/shelter setup for ~$50.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldnSlow View Post
    I purchased a Hennesy Safari no net, because it was a cheap purchase, but the methods of insulating in an inexpensive way, with blue pads, point to the double layered hammocks like the DD or the Claytor. They are all inclusive, reasonably priced, and easy to keep warm in.

John
    Or point to a Speer SPE. This is not a bad option in a Safari No Net, only cost you less than 4 oz, less than the weight of a dbl layer.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My recommendation of Hennesy as a place to start is because it is not only a "complete" set up (tarp, netting, suspension system) it is a good quality hammock as well.

I have a number of other hammocks and agree that there are much less expensive ways to go and DIY is a ton of fun. But for a simple way to start, the HH I bought from REI (in case I didn't like it and wanted to return it with no questions asked), has served it's purpose well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I said Warbonnet because I wish that had been my first choice. However, I think the Hennessey is a good hammock for a nooby because it is all in one, easy purchase.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I voted Warbonnet since it would actually have saved me money if I'd gotten one in the first place. Buying a slightly cheaper substitute and trying to add the features of a Warbonnet just doesn't work.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    rev, when I suggested the diy it was for testing purposes only. when I was looking at different models to purchase, your advice of just buying some packcloth and making a simple test hammock paid off. hopefully if a noob is asking these questions here they will get the same help that was given me when I started.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Ah, the evolution of a hanger......

I originally started with an HH simply because it was a complete system and got great reviews. I did not have any previous experience with hammock camping but had to put a stake in the ground ( and had the descretionary funds) and start somewhere.

I still have it and loan it out to friends who want to try hanging but don't use it anymore because:
    • It made me feel a little 'trapped'
    • It was relatively difficult to get comfortable with a pad and sleeping bag (please note that could be solved by using a quilt). I think I strained more than one back muscle flopping around trying to get everything situated.

Some people love them and more power to them. I do think it's an excellent system. I just don't like being a ready-to-order bear burrito.

After using it every weekend for 4 months and having a few frustrated nights I decided to try the other way, a side entry type.

After hitting the boards here for reviews I moved on to an ENO doublenest.
    • It was cheapish and would allow me to try that type without a large investment.
    • I found that a side entry fits my style.
    • I like having the 'seat' and being able to exit on either side and reach down for my gear on the ground.
    • It is easier for me to get situated with pad and bag and pillows and whatever else, like my collection of giant pee bottles.

Some people probably did the reverse and started with a side entry and gravitated to the HH type.

After using the ENO for about 6 months and going through the forum I decided that I would be doing enough hanging that it would be worth my while to DIY and make something customized and perfect for me. By that time I had learned enough from this board and JustJeff's awesome site about materials and suspensions. I went ahead and invested the $ into Ed Speer's Hammock Camping book and already had a beginners foundation in sewing from making my own ditty bags (saving big $) and accessories. Ask the girls....accessories are important!

Anyhow, after making a largish contribution into Ed's Children's College Fund for materials I'm now finishing DIY Bugnet 1.0 to go with DIY Hammock 1.0 and will begin TravelPod 1.0 and BishopBag 1.0 to make the set. (Yes, there will be a WIP post for the newbies who want to follow along the path to the dark side)... You'll notice it's ver 1.0. I've already found some things with 1.0 that I want to change in 1.1 which I will start shortly.

Speaking of which....

This is very important for you to understand!!!!

If you ask the DIY people on the forum they will admit they probably mutated into their present form the same way.

It all started with some commercial hammock and they thought "if I only had a pocket here and a grosgrain loop there and some velcro here and it was 6" longer"......
    and next thing you know you're dropping $60 at Walmart for a Brother, buying Sewing for Dummies and hanging out in a Jo Anns picking up tips on French seams and notions while the older ladies tell you about the nice single daughter they have (who can sew!.. that is what they call a twofer!).

I would try one or the other with a commercial version until you figure out your likes and dislikes. But consider yourself warned....

If the DIY bug strikes......you will start to change...

....and you will join us.....forever................forever......<insert devil emoticon here>

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123