Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Hammock Relationship Cycle

Chatting with some of the new folks on the forum has reminded me that my relationship with my hammock has entered a very comfortable stage. I was reflecting on those early days so I wrote down the stages I've gone through in my hammock relationship. Some folks seem to go through this same cycle -- what's your experience?

Courting Stage
    Sleeping on the ground is painful! I hate rocks in my back and sliding down my sleeping bag in the middle of the night! My two-man tent is so heavy, and bulky, and MUGGY in this summer heat. Ug, and breathing my hiking buddy's dragon breath in the tent is BARF!

What's this? Hammocks? WTH? Okay, I'll check it out. Hmm. Hey, this is pretty cool. I wonder if it will work for me.

Getting Serious Stage
    Okay, I'm seeing a lot of great benefits here. Hammocks seem to be the way to go. I like the "enclosed" feeling of a tent, so I think I'm going to try [BRAND] hammock and go for it. It's lighter than my tent!

Honeymoon Stage
    HOLY COW! My first night in my hammock was AWESOME! So comfortable. It's summer time and I'm completely protected with the built-in bug netting. And the cool breeze underneath is so refreshing in this heat. No wonder people love hammock camping. I'm going to do this the rest of my life!

Conflict Stage
    8:00 PM - Oh I love my hammock. It's so comfortable. This is the best thing that ever happened to me.

10:00 PM - Oh, this is so comfortable. And the stars are so beautiful. I love rocking here and enjoying this comfort. Ha! My buddies are snoring in their tent. I can just imagine how grumpy they are going to be in the morning after sleeping on rocks all night. Plus, they're missing these great views. Ha!

12:00 AM - I think I'll play a little iTunes. Hammocks are so comfy! Gosh! I'm tired...

3:00 AM - Oh, I am SO TIRED. Why can't I fall asleep. I am so COMFORTABLE but I can't get to sleep. What's the deal?

5:00 AM - OH MY GOSH! I'm freezing in this thing. It's only fall and I'm freezing my butt off. Hammocks SUCK! What's the deal!? My 20°F bag should be good for this! And I am SO TIRED! Why can't I fall asleep! All these knots and lashings and strings and CRAP are too complicated. Maybe I should go back to tents.

8:00 AM - I think I slept a little. I am so grumpy. Oh, NICE. My buddies are awake. But I was so comfortable. I guess that's something.

NOTE: It is in the conflict stage where hangers make a course change -- motivated either to "give the whole thing up" and quit the relationship, or determined to try something else and "give it another shot." This is a critical time in the relationship because it either leads to reconciliation and fulfilled relationship or a break-up.

Reconciliation Stage
    Okay, I'm going to stick with this. My first experiences were so great, so comfortable, but then I could never get to sleep -- I was too "giddy," I think, to actually sleep. I think that phase is over. I'm trying all kinds of things now to make this work -- under quilts, top quilts, Whoopie Slings, buckles, pads, do-it-yourself projects. I'm investing because those first experiences were SO GOOD. I want to see if I can capture it again. I mean, it was so revolutionary to sleep so comfortably, to sleep nearly anywhere I wanted -- I really want this to work.

Completion Stage
    I know what works for me. I've tried a few things, but I'm sticking with [BRAND] hammock because it works for me. I'm comfortable with the set-up. Along the way I've discovered some time-saving techniques. It may not be the whiz-bang stuff they talk about on the forums, but I'm okay with that. I've got my system. You know what else? I want to help other hangers out who might be going through the rough spots and let them know there's hope out there! It does work! I LOVE MY HAMMOCK!

Images
    i see Hammock counseling in your future.

"Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Ha - if anyone can capture it, it would be the author of a very fine hammocking book! Very true to form dejoha!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I have been through those cycles as well. I have been in the completion stage for quite awhile. Not sure if it is a curse though; because I am so comfortable I don't try anything new.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Sound like what I am going through right now. I almost sold my gear. I don't want to sell my gear. I just want to sleep.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Well said, dejoha!

AS I was reading and scrolling I kept waiting for the comment about one's first cold night to arrive, and by gum, there it was!

Jim

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I've got one more high end tent to sell, then I only hope to see a tent in a museum or history book.
    Actually I'm keeping two Wal- Mart tents for kids or someone to use.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Right on! I have gone thru all those stages as well and after some cold and sleepless nights I purchased and made a few pieces of good gear on a tight budget and now I am happy with the kit that I'v collected. The grounds not getting me back

Hammock
    HH ULEXP
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    NEST,NO SNIVELLER
    Suspension
    STRAPS AND RINGS
    What can I say. First morning after sleeping in a hammock my back pain was gone. That was three years ago. I have not slept on the ground or in a bed since.
    fred

Images
    kind of a self serving thread ?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast