PDA

View Full Version : Ember availability info... Not good.

eflat7
08-21-2009, 12:58
Well, I am ready to buy an underquilt. Checked with ENO first about the Ember. I really want one from Eno because I have had such good luck with their products. Here is the exact copy of the email. Looks like August release is going to come and go.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Bobby,

I apologize for the late reply to your email. I am not sure if the ember
will be available by the time that you need something. We are still working
out some of the details of the product, and do not have the final weight and
product cost. We will update the website when the product is ready to sell.
I have added you to our email list, so that you can be notified when it is
released. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Adam Cohen

2000 Riverside Dr.
Ste. 21, Box 15
Asheville, NC 28804
P 828.252.7808
F 703.832.1144

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 11:59 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: WWW Form Submission

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
() on Monday, August 17, 2009 at 20:58:45
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUBJECT: Contact Form

FirstName: Bobby

LastName: XXXXX

URL: www.bobbyhancock.com

Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

City: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

State: NC

Zip: xxxxxx

Phone: XXXXXXXXX

Email: XXXXX

ddTypeUse: Personal Use

ddTypeInquiry: Current News

ddHowFind: Other

newfromeno: XXXXXXXX

Message: I was curious about the release of the Ember underquilt. Fall and
winter are coming and I am definitely going to be buying something within
the next month or so. I was hoping I could hold out for an Ember. I would
also like to be added to your snail mail and email lists. Thank you very
much for any information you can provide about the ember.

angrysparrow
08-21-2009, 13:07
There are a lot of other wonderful underquilt options that work perfectly with an ENO, many provided by members of this forum.

Jacks-R-Better, Speer, KickAss, Warbonnet, Te-Wa etc.. I'll bet any one of those would be happy to help you keep warm, without a long wait.

eflat7
08-21-2009, 13:22
Yeah, I know. It's hard from me to break from what has worked. I have been eyeballin some of these other options and pretty much have decided to give my business to someone other than the man.

rock_rat
08-24-2009, 06:37
I Know you where not necessarily soliciting opinions but I'll volunteer one any way. I've got an ENO Double Nest. I use a JRB Hudson River for my UQ and a No Sniveller as a top quilt. Both work great with my ENO hammock. From what I've seen the quality of work coming from the smaller shops consistently meets and exceeds the work of larger name brands.

cliff355
08-24-2009, 07:10
I got a hammock by Eno (doublenest) and Clark (NX250) and they are great. I would have bought an underquilt from either of these outfits and understand both will have them out soon. The question is "when," and I have to ready for dire weather conditions by the first week of November. Therefore I ordered a Speer snugfit which is on sale right now and not alot more than what the Embers will go for. More than likely they are a bit fancier too.

Hawk-eye
08-27-2009, 14:53
Their product comes out of Indonesia ... and from first hand experience I'd say they're dealing with the same ... err ... business practices ... I've seen. Bait and switch being the mildest version of business practices there.

Hope it eventually works out for them. Hard to do business over there unless your on the floor most of the time in the factories of Indo.

I'd almost translate that email as they were quoted one thing and the factory changed specs/material without telling them and now are sorry but will need to increas the price. Also probably put someone a head of them in the factory queue ...

laidback_chica
09-01-2009, 11:29
Yeah, I know. It's hard from me to break from what has worked. I have been eyeballin some of these other options and pretty much have decided to give my business to someone other than the man.

This comment referring to ENO as "the man" kinda confused me. Just because I was able to chat with one of ENO's only employees one weekend at a craft show. They are actually a small company in asheville, nc that just recieves a lot of business. 2 brothers own it and 4 guys work the office...from what ive seen this company is far from corporate.
That aside, if you have a timeline by which you need an underquilt you should definitely go ahead and get something for fall...hopefully the Ember will be available soon... i know im certainly anticipating its arrival

Cannibal
09-01-2009, 11:49
Well, I can kind of attest to that. So can everyone else that was at Trail Days this past year. We got to hang out with one of ENO's "reps". The very last category I would place him in would be "corporate". :lol: He showed-up in a van full of stuff after dark on Thursday. He had to rearrange the surf board in his van so he could sleep that night. Definitely not corporate.

However, ENO is one of the more 'corporate' hammock outfitters. Hard to find a sporting goods store that sells hammocks that doesn't sell ENOs. Nothing wrong with it, but they are making their living via corporate outlets not with direct interaction with the consumers. Their 'reps' are comprised of folks all over the country according to the guy at Trail Days; not the 2 owners and 4 workers that you heard about. Their primary job function is to attend fairs and festivals.

Again, nothing wrong with that business model and it seems to be treating them quite well. But, they are closer to being "The Man" than many of the vendors out there. Still nowhere near being THe man.

Hooch
09-01-2009, 15:36
.......Still nowhere near being THe man.Not to name names or anything, right? :rolleyes: I wouldn't either. However, his initials are Tom Hennessy. :scared:

Geez, it's like mentioning "he who shall not be named".

Cannibal
09-01-2009, 15:45
Not to name names or anything, right? :rolleyes: I wouldn't either. However, his initials are Tom Hennessy. :scared:

More fun in code. :D

BER
09-04-2009, 10:20

I tried to rearrange the letters of his name and I still cant get Voldemort! :eek:

eflat7
09-06-2009, 19:22
This comment referring to ENO as "the man" kinda confused me. Just because I was able to chat with one of ENO's only employees one weekend at a craft show. They are actually a small company in asheville, nc that just recieves a lot of business. 2 brothers own it and 4 guys work the office...from what ive seen this company is far from corporate.
That aside, if you have a timeline by which you need an underquilt you should definitely go ahead and get something for fall...hopefully the Ember will be available soon... i know im certainly anticipating its arrival

twas a joke.

Shortbus
10-08-2009, 07:32
the ember is finally on their website but 175 dollars is a bit much for what you get IMHO

blueskydaze
04-25-2010, 18:38
Why do so many people on this forum all of the sudden hate Tom? I would think that with out his inovations the majority of people on here would not even know about hammock camping. The guy is a legend. As far as Warbonnet goes it looks like Brandon has spend a few nights in a HH and dreamed up his hammocks in the process.

blueskydaze
04-25-2010, 19:02
Also for People on here refer to ENO as "The Man" is that a joke? anyone who knows anything about the hammock arena knows this is a little company out of Asheville who just happens to do it better than any other hammock specific company trying to compete on a commercial level (including hennesy)... for the high and mighty; next time you walk into Wall Mart to buy material to improve upon your own design, maybe you should ask yourself whos the man and who and i supporting? or for that matter when you fill your gas tank up at Exxon Mobil... LMAO!!!

babelfish5
04-25-2010, 19:22
Why do so many people on this forum all of the sudden hate Tom? I would think that with out his inovations the majority of people on here would not even know about hammock camping. The guy is a legend. As far as Warbonnet goes it looks like Brandon has spend a few nights in a HH and dreamed up his hammocks in the process.

Wow, sounds like someone needs a nap. :rolleyes:

oldgringo
04-25-2010, 20:26
Wow, sounds like someone needs a nap. :rolleyes:

Or HRT.............

eflat7
04-25-2010, 23:28
Also for People on here refer to ENO as "The Man" is that a joke?

Of course it was. I was being sarcastic. Thats why I said "twas a joke" in post number 12. I have been using eno's for 5 years.

Wentworth
04-26-2010, 03:20
What has Tom H. got to do with Eno? Did I miss something or is this guy crazy?

chiefams
04-26-2010, 05:59
Why do so many people on this forum all of the sudden hate Tom.

They haven't all of a sudden hated him, they've hated him for a while :lol:

Joking, difference between commercial suppliers (ENO offices may be based out of Asheville but hammocks are made outside the US, Same with Hennessy with some parts of the hammocks made outside US) and with the cottage industry guys, is they listen to what many customers want! Tom Hennessy doesn't get on here to talk about his hammocks. Neither do the ENO guys. THe cottage industry guys give you there phone numbers half the time and if you email them they respond personally within hours usually. Cottage industry guys make their stuff in the UNITED STATES and I will support them wholeheartedly.

(Side Note) I have owned an ENO and loved it

eflat7
04-26-2010, 12:36
What has Tom H. got to do with Eno? Did I miss something or is this guy crazy?

I think #2.